cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else in the west Chicago area strugging w/3 mo drop calls, fail text, fail downloads, fail internet?

Journeyman

Anyone else in the west Chicago area strugging w/3 mo drop calls, fail text, fail downloads, fail internet?

I have been struggling for >3months in the far west Chicago suburbs with constant dropped calls, failed text messages; Sprint customer service are polite, attempt to ask a lot of questions of concern. I still have poor to NO service but I pay my bills - for poor to NO service. I have been with sprint for a long long time - you are stealing from me and my family, are you part of the Federal and Illinois State Goverment? They are experts and you are certainly following in their footsteps!!!!!!!!!!!

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Anyone else in the west Chicago area strugging w/3 mo drop calls, fail text, fail downloads, fail internet?

I have the same problems!!!!!!!!!!! I live in St. Louis, MO where I have absolutely no problems w/ the service there. But I travel for work. I recently got put on a job in the greater Chicago area.  I cannot talk on my phone in that area!  The call drops every 5 minutes!!!  My fiancé (320 miles away back in St. Louis) and I are having to plan our wedding over email because we can’t talk on the phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Commuting back and forth on the weekends; as soon as I get within 50 miles of the Chicago area I start losing calls.  And it’s not just one area!  I’ve been up and down every major highway corridor in the region, I-55, 57, 65, 80, 90, 94… It’s every one of them!  This is a wide spread problem!  What gives Chicago?!?!?!  She has been a loyal customer for going on 8 years, but this problem is going to make me drop the service!

Signed,

Fed up in Greater Chicago!

Journeyman

Re: Anyone else in the west Chicago area strugging w/3 mo drop calls, fail text, fail downloads, fail internet?

I understand your frustration, we are experiencing the same thing!! This is long, but I just posted a separate post, but figured I would post it in the other Chicago threads I saw as well...

Like many others in the Chicagoland area, my family (5 lines) has been experiencing unacceptable service from Sprint that includes many of the same complaints I see from others on these forums including:

-Texting not working

-Dropped calls

-Inability to make calls

-Slow internet

-Delayed text and voicemail messages

-The runaround-being told it is the phone when calling Sprint and to go to the store, then go to the store and they tell you it's the network, etc.

-Promised time-lines that do not come to fruition

-Being offered inadequate discounts on service (i.e. $25 off our $250 bill when our service is basically unusable many days)

Today I was finally told that Sprint is completing "network vision," basically combining 3 towers into a "supertower." They have stated that they cannot give a time estimate of when this will be done and service will be sketchy throughout that time (as others have stated as well). I am unsure why I am paying $250+ a month for service I am not receiving and cannot be given a response as to when I will be receiving it. I am concerned that Sprint would embark on such a major upheaval of their services without a back-up plan of how to support the existing network.

This is obviously a chronic problem in the Chicagoland area; however I do believe that in order for any positive changes to be made in service, as well as any concessions in the form of major refunds for lack of service, many people are going to have to band together to make a difference. The gentlemen I spoke to from Sprint today literally told me that he gets a lump in his stomach each time he has to deal with people from Illinois calling, it is that bad!

I would encourage those having problems to do the following:

First, contact the Better Business Bureau. It only takes about 5 minutes to fill out the form here: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/complaintlink.aspx

In the section that asked how I would like my issue resolved, this is what I stated, feel free to copy and paste!

This matter can be resolved by providing:

1) A definitive time-line as to when my service will be working with no interruptions

2) A back-up plan of how I am going to be provided the service I pay a contract for (phone calls, voicemail, texts, and internet that all work)

3) If I cannot be given a back-up plan, I would like to terminate our 5 lines at no cost

Second, contact Chicago TV networks investigative reporters, as well as the Chicago Tribune. No major company likes bad PR and perhaps having a major television market looking into their inadequacies will encourage some more honest and forthcoming answers, as well as speed towards rectifying the problem. Type up a list of your complaints (or copy and paste them from here), write up your letter and send it off to each of the email addresses here. The more similar complaints they get, the more likely they are to look into things and focus on Sprint for one of their investigative pieces.

ABC Chicago--Chuck Goudie--http://abclocal.go.com/wls/feature?section=news/iteam&id=8182781

CBS Chicago--Dave Savini--dvsavini@cbs.com

NBC Chicago--Sharon Wright--sharon.wright@nbc.com

Chicago Tribune Watchdog reporters:

Patricia Callahan--pcallahan@tribune.com

Monica Eng--meng@tribune.com

Jared Hopkins--jahopkins@tribune.com

Sam Roe--sroe@tribune.com

Spread the word to others you know who have Sprint and are experiencing problems, as well as in other threads you see here.

Journeyman

You have to be joking.  Better Business Beureau, investigative reporters?  What are you trying to get out of this?  Sprint is in the process of performing one of the most impressively massive network improvements of all time.  If you can't wait for it, then go to Verizon and pay more for less, or AT&T who has the same problems in Chicago but with no announced upgrade.

Dragging Sprint through the mud like that is counter productive.  You heard the representative on the phone.  They are fully aware of the issue.  The only thing you might succeed in is pushing the ONLY wireless carrier that has spent so much to improve it's offering's without raising your bill futher into bankruptcy.

Shop the competition and if you find something worthwhile, then switch.  That's what attracts attention.  Otherwise, just wait.  Network Vision is going to be most excellent.

Journeyman

What your saying makes no sense.  No one says drag sprint in the mud.  Pay more for the service at verizon?  Yeah but at least your getting service for what your paying for?  $250 and no internet, dropped calls, dropped texts, slow a** speeds OR pay $280 and get LTE speed, no dropped calls, ... Your defense of sprint is way over the top in my opinion.  What are you getting for the money your paying now?  In 2 years, you'll be paying way more for less with sprint that with verizon or sprint.  I dont agree with taking a company down but the least they can so is say we'll give you 25%,, 30%, whatever off your bill until we resolve this issue...I'm sure that would raise people's tollerance but just sitting, payin 4G data speed premiums for a data speed i used to get in year 2000 for undertmined period of time is highway robbery...

Journeyman

I'm not defending Sprint so much as criticize the effort that is being put into this by everyone. I just moved to Chicago from a network that was far far worse and I don't really mind.

You are all paying sprint voluntarily. If it's so bad, then leave. Like I said, shop the competition. Try their devices and service. There are options. It's not highway robbery when you chose them as your carrier.

Unlimited data is not something I can give up. I use well more than most caps, so it's worth it for me. So I'm sticking. Go check out your options.

Journeyman

You want to pay my cancellation fee I'll be glad to see... I think that was 1 of the main arguments at least waive the cancellation fee so people can leave to a network that actually provide good service

Journeyman

You have to be joking. Better Business Beureau, investigative reporters? What are you trying to get out of this?

Not kidding at all.  What am I trying to get out of this?  I am trying to get the service I am contracted to for $250/mo.  I am trying to get service that doesn't drop every call, delay texts, not register voicemails, etc., etc., etc.  I am looking for honest communication from a company.  Not that it is my phone.  Not that it is a tower that got struck my lightning.  I am looking to encourage Sprint to be honest and not make me make numerous calls and stops in stores before I get a straight answer. 

Sprint is in the process of performing one of the most impressively massive network improvements of all time.

That's great. But why is there no contigency plan in the meantime? This wouldn't be troublesome if I dropped a call once in awhile.  When I can't hold a single call, that's a problem.  Also, why not give notification ahead of time of this upcoming upgrade and possible problems.  Smart companies know how to be proactive and manage the expectations of their customers.  Sprint clearly failed in doing this.  

If you can't wait for it, then go to Verizon and pay more for less, or AT&T who has the same problems in Chicago but with no announced upgrade.

I would be thrilled to do that, however I will only do that if Sprint releases me from my contract free of penalty.

Dragging Sprint through the mud like that is counter productive. You heard the representative on the phone. They are fully aware of the issue. The only thing you might succeed in is pushing the ONLY wireless carrier that has spent so much to improve it's offering's without raising your bill futher into bankruptcy.

You are joking, right?  If Sprint continues to have further problems, it is due to their own ineptitude, not me. The bottom line is no matter what they offer in the future, this is the present and they are not delivering what they promised. 

Shop the competition and if you find something worthwhile, then switch. That's what attracts attention.

According to your prior statement, you just said that I might succeed in pushing Sprint further into bankruptcy, but now you're stating that I can only attract attention by switching.  Hmmmmm....

Otherwise, just wait. Network Vision is going to be most excellent.

I'll believe it when I can actually use my cellphone on a regular basis.  Until then I will be fighting until I get the service I pay for each  month and I believe others will to.  You are not going to find a sympathetic audience here towards Sprint.  There is a reason for that. 

Journeyman

I'm not defending Sprint so much as criticize the effort that is being put into this by everyone. I just moved to Chicago from a network that was far far worse and I don't really mind.

Perhaps you don't mind poor service, but the general consumer (including myself) does.  Just because there may be worse out there does not mean I have to accept poor service.

You are all paying sprint voluntarily. If it's so bad, then leave. Like I said, shop the competition. Try their devices and service. There are options. It's not highway robbery when you chose them as your carrier.Unlimited data is not something I can give up. I use well more than most caps, so it's worth it for me. So I'm sticking. Go check out your options. 

Of course we are paying voluntarily. But when we all signed up for contracts I can guarantee you that we weren't promised phones that wouldn't hold calls, deliver texts, etc.  We were promised good cellphone service.  And now if we want to leave we have to pony up the cancellation fees. So your logic does not work, it is simply not that easy.

Journeyman

Well said

Journeyman

The termination fee us usually less than the amount of the discount you received on your new phone. They are also prorated. I can almost promise you that all of you have cost sprint more than you have given them especially in this area.

You could probably sell your phone and make up close to your early term fee. And if service is really as bad as you say, you are making an awful financial decision to pay for it instead of the fee.

Also, do a little bit of research. Just because Sprint won't make official statements doesn't mean it's not out there.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-272-chicago-network-visionlte-deployment-schedule-update/

Highlighted
Journeyman

it's all about bringing awareness to an issue and I think you have provided an excellent solution.  I have been experiencing the same problem, only for a few months, but if Sprint wanted to provide excellent customer service, a simple email to affected customers explaining the improvement could save a lot of users time, headaches, and money.  I feel sorry for anyone who may have unnecessarily paid money to exchange their device.  Major wireless providers such as Sprint have policies and processes to deal with complaints and customers who deserve a credit due to interruption in service.  This might apply more to those who actually live in the affected areas rather than just commute through them.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.