cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone in the Raleigh Area experiencing worse than normal data speeds?

Journeyman

Anyone in the Raleigh Area experiencing worse than normal data speeds?

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, so I am limited to 3g only until the Raleigh area gets LTE.  The speeds I used to get were horrible (10kB/s down 20 kB/s up).  Recently these horrible speeds have deminished to 5kB/s down (if I'm lucky) and 20kB/s up.  When I travel on the interstate in the area, I used to be able to stream music fine, but now it buffers every 5 seconds or so.I mean for "3g" I'd like to be able to stream a song from google music.  I wonder sometimes if I forced it to 1xRTT if I'd get better speeds. Anyone else having this issue or is it just me? 

Locations of interest:

27511 intersection of Tryon Rd and Regency Pkwy

27513 intersection of High House and Maynard

27514 intersection of MLK and Estes

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Anyone in the Raleigh Area experiencing worse than normal data speeds?

It's an issue with back haul capacity. Post your ZIP Code and nearest intersection so a Sprint employee can check for outages and/or capacity issues and submit a trouble ticket.

Journeyman

Since March I've had nothing but sub-3G speeds in Wake, Durham, Alamance, and Guilford county. It's horrible. I haven't broken 200kbit/sec in months. Speeds are abysmal and areas where my phone claims I'm in 3G coverage are all getting speeds that would be concidered EDGE or 2G on any other network. And I can't get a WiMax signal on my EVO 4G in many places I used to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah,  I'd love to hear a Sprint rep's take on this.  Every time I've complained they have no answer.  Wonder if the Raleigh area will even get LTE or the Network Vision upgrades in years to come.  They haven't really annouced it have they.  I guess I should assume they aren't and debate going to Verizon even though they now have tiered plans.  At least then I could stream music from my phone since it'd be > 56000 baud.  Good thing we pay for "premium data"

Journeyman

Same here - been having this issue since Oct-2011. Chased them for months, and have litterally made +40 calls about this. I've been told all sorts of lies, never given a fix. I knew from the beginning this was a capacity problem since a) Roaming 3G is great in the Raleigh area, b) Sprint 3G during off peak hours (12am-8am on any given day) is great, but c) during peak hours I get no more than 150kbit/sec. This is functionally broke, not just degraded service. Texting via Google Voice fails, Play store times out, Foursquare says "your network connection is wonky" (I agree). Tickets get opened allegedly then when I call to check status I'm told no ticket exists. I've been given the utter run around. I've gone through every "process" to get a resolution. I'm 100% sure that Sprint is conspiraring to defraud it's customers in/around Raleigh by not delivering a fix for a known problem, while telling customers who call up to report an issue that no such issue exists and expecting them to still pay for the 3G service that is not in fact being rendered.

I'm switching networks ASAP. Final answers I have gotten from Sprint are:

1) There is a capacity issue

2) "We are working on it but cannot tell you when it will be fixed"

Journeyman

My solution was buying a used Samsung Conquer with wimax .  Got an instant boost.  I really hate the phone and can't wait to go back to my galaxy nexus (which is kinda a crappy situation since I downgraded to get better coverage, but payed out the butt for a nexus, which is useless until the network is better), but given the competition, I'd rather stick with sprint.  It's kinda funny you posted today actually.  I'm in the 27511 location (where the first speed test was done) and I'm getting quite improved speeds.  83.2kb/s and 43.6kb/s up.  I can't screenshot it as there's no CyanogenMod on this phone I even turned off wimax to make sure it was 3g.  However, it might be a fluke?  Like you said, I used to get these speeds at 7-8am here when nobody else was around in any of the buildings.  Maybe the network is being fixed. I wouldn't hold your breath though.  In their press-release earlier this week, they made mention of basically all the small triangle "area" towns getting upgraded (lumberton etc)  so maybe they're doing work here too?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.