cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlanta and surrounding data continues to degrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

What is going on with this? 3G data is so slow, i even emailed Dan@sprint.com and they have 2 cases open for me aned this is just getting worse and worse.

• At my house in Roswell i get 136 kb down. zip 30076
  • At work in Alpharetta ( friggin Alpharetta) i get 400kb down. zip 30022 and 30004
  • On Pleasent Hill it's 86kb down.

What is going on? I have 3 friends that moved to Sprint when data didn't suck and now they are looking at me wondering why they listened to me. I have 2 lines and 2 different phones so that's not the issue.

I went out with my fiend, who i convinced to move to Sprint and bring 5 familly lines with him, and we did a speed test on Pleasent Hill at 1 AM! We never got over 100kb down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS PATHETIC!!! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR NETWORK!!

Please if someone else has this issue then post your speeds so that Sprint and everyone can see. Might make people think twice about the unlimited dial-up that Sprint provides. I call i dial up not just because of the speed but also because on the fact that you can't talk and surf.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Noone has these problems?

Journeyman

Re: Atlanta and surrounding data continues to degrade

I do, but I don't know how to check my speeds. Today, I have no data coverage at all. I can call & txt, but no picture msgs, no internet, etc.

Wizard

Reaper0n3,

Thank you for posting your concerns with data speeds in the Atlanta market.  I wanted to let you know that we are continuing to increase the capacity in your market and the project is set to complete in the next 90 days.  There was a news release regarding these updates the other day, here's the link: http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2196

Also, here's the key points to the announcement as well:

• Over the past year, the Atlanta area has seen its Sprint 3G capacity increase by more than 17 percent.
  • In the past 90 days, Sprint has implemented 100 network capacity upgrades in the Atlanta metro area, with 122 planned for the next 90 days.
  • These network upgrades encompass all aspects of a customer’s wireless experience, including voice, data and in-building solutions.
  • These enhancements to the Sprint 3G Network also should serve to bolster performance of our no-contract brands, including devices operating on the Sprint network from Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile USA.

I do apologize about your current situation, but please know that we are working to increase our services for a better experience. 

NikkiKitty77,

Having no data at all and not being able to use your services sounds to be a specific issue with either your phone or your area.  What type of device do you have?  Have you tried pulling the battery out and updated the data profile on the phone?  There's a few things we should check to see if we can get your services working again.

Journeyman

Speeds are slow in 30144 too.

Journeyman

I can attest that this is not unique to any particular phone.  I work in the heart of downtown Atlanta.  Based on the coverage map, I have the best 4g and 3g service possible. This is not the case. Sometimes I stand outside in clear view of the sky and can't connect to 4g, and have no 3g.  My phone is usually roaming.  I had an Evo now a GSII and have been having these issues since the end of 2011.  This is clearly a service/carrier issue.  If you browse the forums, you will see there are tons of Atlanta residents having these exact issues.  My fiance had a iphone 4s on att and just switched to sprint because I get an employer discount and to be on a family plan.  It has been 3 days and she is already feeling the pain I have been for months now.  Really pointless to have a fancy phone you can't use.  I will fight until I will be let out of my contract without cancellation fee.  This is not the service I used to have, or the service I spend my hard earfned money on.  The $10 premium fee adds insult to injury.  Kinda like paying for an oil change and they put water instead of oil.

Journeyman

Service has been on and off since middle July and all related to the LTE upgrade. My Epic 4G Touch formerly had four bars of signal in Midtown ATL and no varies from no service to one bar. Voice call quality is unusable. Sprint acknowledges that they have towers down and that service is intermittent at times but promises it will improve by Aug 31. That is six weeks after the issues began. After 10 plus years as a customer, I tried to get them to let me go with no ETF due to a material degradation to my service and they insist I must pay the ETF. If everyone calls them to compain, perhaps they will deal with the issues and/or realize people are paying for service that is non-existent.

Journeyman

atlantadavida wrote:

Service has been on and off since middle July and all related to the LTE upgrade. My Epic 4G Touch formerly had four bars of signal in Midtown ATL and no varies from no service to one bar. Voice call quality is unusable. Sprint acknowledges that they have towers down and that service is intermittent at times but promises it will improve by Aug 31. That is six weeks after the issues began. After 10 plus years as a customer, I tried to get them to let me go with no ETF due to a material degradation to my service and they insist I must pay the ETF. If everyone calls them to compain, perhaps they will deal with the issues and/or realize people are paying for service that is non-existent.

Several thousand towers across the country are scheduled to be completed and go live by August 31st, this means that you will have spotty service while towers are town. When a cell tower is down other users get pushed onto surrounding towers which reduces the capacity of the network. You will likely continue to have these problems until the majority of the upgrades are complete. Think of these upgrades and downtime as a good thing, after they're complete the network will be up to par or better than other providers.

Journeyman

I have been with Sprint long enough to know that eventually this will get sorted out and service will get much better. That does me very little good as I have to call customers back multiple times as calls drop or the audio/call quality degrades to the point they cannot hear me.  While it is OK for Sprint to tell me "just wait a month and this will get better" because they have me locked in a contract, my customers will not wait a month for my calls back!

What I find unacceptable is:

• No notifcation was given to me as a customer to warn me that my service would be "unusable" due to the upgrade.
  • I am still paying for my service even though it is unusable many times and Sprint has offered my no concession on my monthly service for this failure to provide what I pay for.
  • For weeks, Sprint's "techs" opened tickets on my behalf after they verified my service was poor using their diagnostics to my phone.  They wasted my time leading me to believe there was a solution to this other than waiting for the towers to get repalced.

Sprint acts like they care -- everyone is quite nice, polite, and empathetic.  But I came to Sprint for a business/commercial purpose -- voice and data service.  I pay; they fail to deliver. 

I was reminded by a "cancellation customer service rep" that the legal agreement says that service is not guaranteed.  I guess we are all fools knowing that literally Sprint could turn off all service tomorrow and everyone under contract would still be obligated to pay!  Seriously -- extreme I know but perfectly "legal" under the agreement. Since the rep went "legal" on me and even reminded me of my early term fee instead of offering me a concession, I guess I know what has to be done to deal with this. 

And to think I am still a loyal customer!

Journeyman

atlantadavida wrote:

I have been with Sprint long enough to know that eventually this will get sorted out and service will get much better. That does me very little good as I have to call customers back multiple times as calls drop or the audio/call quality degrades to the point they cannot hear me.  While it is OK for Sprint to tell me "just wait a month and this will get better" because they have me locked in a contract, my customers will not wait a month for my calls back!

What I find unacceptable is:

• No notifcation was given to me as a customer to warn me that my service would be "unusable" due to the upgrade.
  • I am still paying for my service even though it is unusable many times and Sprint has offered my no concession on my monthly service for this failure to provide what I pay for.
  • For weeks, Sprint's "techs" opened tickets on my behalf after they verified my service was poor using their diagnostics to my phone.  They wasted my time leading me to believe there was a solution to this other than waiting for the towers to get repalced.

Sprint acts like they care -- everyone is quite nice, polite, and empathetic.  But I came to Sprint for a business/commercial purpose -- voice and data service.  I pay; they fail to deliver. 

I was reminded by a "cancellation customer service rep" that the legal agreement says that service is not guaranteed.  I guess we are all fools knowing that literally Sprint could turn off all service tomorrow and everyone under contract would still be obligated to pay!  Seriously -- extreme I know but perfectly "legal" under the agreement. Since the rep went "legal" on me and even reminded me of my early term fee instead of offering me a concession, I guess I know what has to be done to deal with this. 

And to think I am still a loyal customer!

If you're largely calling customers from your office or home try and speak to someone in the retention department and ask for an Airave. The Airave is a CDMA (The technology your phone uses for 2G Voice and 3G data.) Femtocell which acts like a wireless router (forgive me for the layman's term, I'm just hoping to explain this in one go) but provides voice and data service to your phone over CDMA while using Sprints licensed spectrum.

Journeyman

It is largely at my home that I notice the issue because I am there most of the time.  However,  I had four dropped calls in Austell GA and three in Smyrna GA this week as well, so it is not just localized.  I am sure the Airave would help at home, but I am not interested in installing a foreign device behind my firewall and using wired ISP bandwidth for voice calls that ought to work on the regular mobile network. I can use the Skype app on my Sprint phone to make calls on wifi and that has been my backup for the past five weeks! But hey, I am reasonable.  I would consider letting Sprint install a dedicated wired Internet connection in my home and deploy the Airave on that.

Since we're into idea mode now, here is a simpler idea -- why not temporarily enable me to force roam my phone onto Verizon where there is strong signal?  I'd say three times a day my phone auto roams to Verizon and when it does it works fine.  Simple accommodation that has ZERO impact on me as a customer and makes the whole upgrade nearly invisible to me.  But no -- Sprint allows their pathetic .0001 bar signal to prevent the auto roam.  Frankly, I wish they'd drop the network completely for a week and finish their upgrade.  I could then roam on a working phone until they get it together.

The point to all this is that I had a good signal and want it back.  It is not my job to manage their network upgrade. It is their job to manage the upgrade responsibly and not disrupt customers.  Now that they have, they ought to (1) provide me compensation for the lacking service or (2) allow me to break my agreement without penalty and select another carrier until they get it together.

Journeyman

After three months of disappointment with Sprint thinking less than 1% coverage of metro Atlanta counts as a rollout, and seeing the same problem even just a few days ago all over Atlanta, yesterday and today were a surprise, with 4G in large swaths of the south metro area, including much of East Point, pieces of Hapeville, and chunks of Jonesboro and Riverdale. Only a couple days earlier going from East Point to Athens via downtown, then through Conyers, and then coming back on GA316 and I-85 through Gwinnett and downtown, I saw ZERO 4G LTE in my HTC.

I gather a large batch of towers just got upgraded.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.