cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Berkeley, CA 94703 Extremely slow data and unreliable voice

Journeyman

Berkeley, CA 94703 Extremely slow data and unreliable voice

I just realized that this should have it's own thread. Maybe something will finally be done about this. Lord knows I've tried to get resolution and real service for over six weeks. Here is what I posted in another thread, rather than trying to rewrite everything. And yes, it's gotten to be a rant. I'm tired of incompetence and indifference on the part of Sprint.

I'm an HTC EVO 4G LTE user. Nothing is wrong with my phone. All of the customer service reps walked me through calibrating my phone each time I called, trying to blame my phone for the slow data and unreliable voice service, and all of them found out (which I already told them) that the problem is not with my phone, it's the network. Again, the problem is with the network (or lack thereof) here in southern Berkeley. They've dropped the ball here and they continue dropping the ball. I'm very dissatisfied with Sprint. I've had 6-7 weeks of almost no coverage at work in a major metropolitan area (southern Berkeley/Bay Area) and all they have been able to claim is that the tower in my area that my phone should be accessing is either in the process of being upgraded or already upgraded. That's not even the truth and they know it. So Sprint lies to their customers too.

I have to say that I'm not impressed at all with Sprint's network here. Sprint needs to get their act together or they will lose customers in the East Bay. I'm not the only one who is frustrated about the utter lack of any real response to the network issues in this area. No one over at Sprint seems to care or knows what to do about it. They sometimes deny that there is an issue until I prove it to them using my phone and giving them signal strength and other readings. I've found that all of the Customer Service Reps, Technicians, and their supervisors with whom I have had to speak are completely incompetent, ignorant, and don't seem to really care about solving the problem. Every time I call we have to start at step one which consists of whoever I'm talking to at Sprint immediately blaming my phone for the problem. After over 45 minutes of testing, etc., it never turns out to be my phone. I prove to them that it is their network. Then they send a "technician" out to the tower who tests the tower and he or she claims that there is no problem. I call again and we go through the entire process again. I did it at least 6 times over 3 weeks. And each time they kept calling me telling me that they were going to close the ticket unless I called back within 48 hours because they "needed more information." What more information do you need when we've sat on the phone for over 45 minutes each time six times in a row testing the network and finding the same problems with the network?

No, I'm not at all satisfied with Sprint these days. If LTE launches here in the Bay Area and I still don't have reliable service here in Berkeley, I'm going to dump Sprint and I will get out of paying any early termination fee because it's Sprint's fault for not attending to proper network maintenance and for not listening to their customers, or even having clue enough to take care of the problem. I shouldn't have to work harder than Sprint to resolve a major network issue.

The location is:

62nd and Martin Luther King Jr Way

Berkeley, CA 94703

And no, I'm not willing to spend almost an hour more on the phone with yet another Sprint Representative proving the issue or trying to help "trouble shoot." You guys should take care of it. My time is valuable.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Berkeley, CA 94703 Extremely slow data and unreliable voice

Wow, the silence is deafening.

The lack of response around this is sadly typical.

I thought maybe I'd get a response or some movement out of Sprint but it seems that wish was just a pipe dream.

Maybe I should add that I've been a Sprint customer for about 13 years, even though Sprint lost record of my first few years as a customer somehow. I've been through a lot with Sprint. I've held strong and I've been loyal. I've tried to remain loyal and upbeat over the past 1-2 years as I've seen service get worse and worse in my area. I've defended Sprint to friends who laugh at me for staying with Sprint. I'm getting very tired and I'm kind of burnt out with Sprint. Sprint is forcing me to seriously consider going through the hassle of early termination and looking for another carrier. I'd hate to do it because most of my years with Sprint were good ones. But after hitting my head against a brick wall with Sprint over the last 1-2 years, I'm getting tired of it. Sprint no longer is the only kid on the block with unlimited data and voice plans. At least I have other options, but I'd really rather not switch. But, my loyalty is only so strong (and I think I've proved it by staying with Sprint over the past 13 years).

Journeyman

here is my response VERIZON !

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep, still no response from Sprint.

Hey Sprint reps, I'm not going away. I'll keep bumping my thread until this issue is addressed.

I dare you to respond and to fix this issue.

Journeyman

Hello! Is anyone there? Anyone at all.

The problems are still here. We are at over a month since my initial complaint and still no resolution.

At least someone from Sprint should respond. Your silence speaks volumes.

Bump. I'm not going away.

Journeyman

OK, your non-response is downright insulting. I've been a Sprint customer for over 13 years. This is disgusting.

Just now my connection is so bad I can't even complete a speed test.

The part that actually worked showed 804ms ping and 7kbps down (up didn't complete).. Yes you read that right SEVEN KBPS DOWN!!!

That is unacceptable!!!

Someone do something please!

I'm at:

62nd and MLK Jr. Way

Berkeley, CA 94703

Any customer or potential customer reading this, please follow to see if and when Sprint responds and fixes this issue. So far I've been trying to get this fixed for 8 weeks or so. And I've had absolutely no luck. And now Sprint Representatives won't even respond.

I'm going to keep bumping this thread. I'm not going away.

If you are a potential Sprint customer and you are reading this, I hope this gives you pause before signing 2 years of your life away. Pay attention to how this is handled (or so far how this isn't being handled.)

Journeyman

I have been a Sprint customer for over 12 years.. This non-response and poor service does not surprise me one bit....In the last couple years the service is HORRIBLE

Master

Hello.  Let me first apologize for not responding to your posts, I assure you it was not intentional.   I've done some analyzing of our Network's performance for the location you provided.  The overall trouble is capacity.  There has been a steady increase of "connection attempts" or service demand over the last few months at this location of nearly 50%.  I've checked for schools or universities that could cause an increase in service requests comparable to what we're seeing but am unable to locate any.  Also there are a dozen or so spikes in the last 3 months where attempts were 300% of normal.  Festivals, carnivals, parades, sporting events, etc., can create these types of spikes in service demand which will in-turn cause service failures or "blocks."  To further complicate this problem, this location is equidistant from 2 towers on 3 sectors.  It means it's located where the sectors from these sites intersect or should overlap.  This means that the location will not have a "dedicated" sector but may service from any of the 3 sectors depending on usage and time of the day.  Imagine a pie cut into 3 equal parts which represent the 3 sectors meeting or converging to provide complete coverage to a location.  Your location is in the center of this pie which can make the problem more severe.  When usage is high, the coverage of these sectors shrink (from the middle) and create a hole in coverage. 

I know this does not correct the problem immediately, but it does validate that capacity augments are needed and we have made financial commitments to increase capacity for these sites.  Network Operations has approved and scheduled a voice upgrade to be completed by the end of November or beginning of December.  The data upgrade is still under review but should be finalized soon. 

I know it's frustrating but we are working on this location.  You can private message me by clicking on my Social Care avatar so we can report a more specific location to Network Operations for additional monitoring and improvements. 

We greatly appreciate your patience and participation in the Sprint Communities, 

Tom Deaver

Social Care ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available ~ Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Journeyman

Tom,

Thank you so much for your reply. That is the most exacting and comprehensive answer I have received to date. I know the response doesn't mean that things are going to get better immediately. I am encouraged that this is a known issue here now and that they are "working on it." I'll reply to you personally to let you know my exact location.

My guess for the spike in usage in this area is that there are many more customers that have been added in this neighborhood. It seems like many people around here are signing up with Sprint. And once they sign up, they are instantly discouraged by the terrible network in this neighborhood. I know of at least 5 people who are new Sprint customers in the neighborhood. If I know 5, that must mean that there are even more new customers in this neighborhood. This is an under-served neighborhood in so many ways (in other words, economically depressed). Lately we have seen some infrastructure improvements on the ground. I hope that Sprint will follow through with their upgrades in the network for this neighborhood so that Sprint can keep the new customers.

I am extremely happy with your reply. I don't know why the folks who answer calls over at Customer Service and Tech Support can't provide the detailed answer you have provided here. If I were given this answer to begin with when I called (over and over) I wouldn't have been so jaded and angry.

Thanks!

Journeyman

tomdeaver wrote:

I've checked for schools or universities that could cause an increase in service requests comparable to what we're seeing but am unable to locate any.  Also there are a dozen or so spikes in the last 3 months where attempts were 300% of normal. 

I can confirm there is a university in Berkeley.   I believe they have a few students who show up toward the end of August. 

Cal. Alum class of '91.  94720.  Go bears!

GrandMaster

i can also confirm its not near original posters area so it has no affect on what he is running into ...which is what tom was looking for..cause and affect for that area alone...not all of berkeley

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Tom didn't mention how much of a traffic increase there was in Berkeley overall but a 50% increase when students return might be normal for more than just the immediate campus coverage area.  Regardless, capacity needs to be increased.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.