cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Curve 3g 9330 NOT 3G

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a blackberry Curve 3G 9330. It sais I do have 3G in My area, But It dosen't say 3G on the top of my phone Like it Should. Their is  NEXTEL tower right behind my house, Can i not get service off of the nextel tower? I mean Sprint did BUY out Nextel. So I don't see why sprint phone's can't run off of the Nextel tower's. I went to wal mart and they have a phone area in their now and I asw the exact same phone from Verizon and it has the 3G status. Why release a 3G phone if their's no 3G service? I just updated my phone to OS 6.0, Could that be a problem?

13 REPLIES 13
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Blackberry Curve 3g 9330 NOT 3G

Hi!

Unfortunately, Sprint and Nextel run on different networks, and the 9330 is not compatible with the Nextel network.  You can check your coverage for Sprint 3G at http://coverage.sprint.com/

Thanks,

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Their is a sprint tower RIGHT BEHIND my appartment complex, How comesprint has not converted/added sprint to the tower?

Journeyman

I would have to agree... I exchange my Samsung Transform for the BB Curve and has yet to recieve 3G on either.... Experience with my Transform which says it has video chatting capabilities... and i see sprint likes to lie about there phones as well... I updated to the BB 6 system as well and if i still dont get 3g with a better system than that sucks as well seeing that the Torch has 3G

Journeyman

Its because blackberries on sprint don't have 3g. basically the "1XEV" is the equivalent to 3g. Not sure about Verizon, but from what I have learned is that CDMA networks don't have an actual "3g".

Journeyman

Well thats truely misleading. They show the pictures with it and a few folks i work with have 3g displayed on there phones... T-mobile and verizon

Sprint Product Ambassador

1xEV stands for the Sprint EVDO network.  That's the CDMA standard for 3G.  ATT and T-Mobile use GSM, so their 3G network is UTMS or HSPDA.   Lotsa acronyms, but in a nuthshell, EV == 3G.

Regardless of what the icons say, is your phone doing what you need it to?  If so, use it and enjoy it.  If not, please start a new thread and describe what you are trying to do and what your phone does, or does not, do.

Thanks!

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I recently replaced my old bb 9630 with the bb 9330---the browsing on the 9330 takes forever as do downloads--there seems to be no difference whether I use wifi or internet (any browser). What's going on?? I dont call this an upgrade but rather a downgrade!!!

Journeyman

EV does NOT equal 3G, man. I had a BlackBerry Storm 2 with Verizon, and not only did it specifically SAY 3G for the most part (it's now stuck at 1x since I no longer have service with the Evil Empire), it ran at a pretty FAST pace for the most part as well. I *JUST* picked up a Curve 9330 yesterday as a stand-in for my BlackBerry Style that comes in on Wednesday. This thing is a SLOW AND WEAK PIECE OF JUNK COMPARED TO THE STORM 2. Not only does it NOT function at 3G speeds, I can't even look at videos on Youtube from home because they're VERY choppy!! I know this much, when I DO get my Style, the service had better improve DRAMATICALLY...else I'm gonna bow out of this trial period with a quickness and just bide my time until I can afford a phone on a carrier that DOESN'T SUCK. (In all honesty, this crappy service is EXACTLY why I didn't want to deal with Sprint in the first place...but it was the only carrier that I didn't have to put down a deposit for!)

Journeyman

Journeyman

All would be better if it would just say 3G in the notification area where IT SHOULD SAY 3G.

It sais "3g blackberry" So it should say when it is in 3G service areas.    

Master

New Blackberry phones display 3G at the top of the phone.  There may be a software update in the future that will change the OSD to show 3G instead of 1XEV on the 9330...but 1XEV and 3G on Sprint are pretty much equivalent.

-John

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.