cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser web AND talk on the phone? WHAT? :D

Go to solution
Journeyman

Browser web AND talk on the phone? WHAT? :D

I've NEVER been able to be on the phone and serf the web at the same time. What does that mean???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Browser web AND talk on the phone? WHAT? :D

Folks,

Based on my knowledge and research (FCC handset reports), this is what I have found. It is called Simultanous Transmission Scenerios tested by FCC. Before a device is actually released, FCC conducts its own testing based on the specific set of requirements against the manufacturers device specifications/features. This is independent of the Network/Carrier so if their report says a device supports something then IT SHOULD !! Below is what I found from these reports.

1) HTC EVO 4G LTE

CDMA 1xRTT Voice + EVDO Data (SVDO)

CDMA 1xRTT Voice + LTE Data (SVLTE)

2) Galaxy S3

3) LG Optimus G

no SVDO

All 3 phones support CDMA 1xRTT Voice + LTE Data + WiFi Hotspot (SVLTE Hotspot)

These are facts, not opinions or maybes. If someone says but it's network dependent then it's BS. Here is why. The CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO is always ON and has dedicated hardware/RF assigned to be consumed. Same goes for LTE. There are two exceptions:

1) Authentication: If a network is configured to authenticate users seperately on CDMA 1xRTT (voice), EVDO, and LTE, then they can configure it to only authenticate a user on one mode only which will prevent you from using the other two but this is not typical so it's highly unlikely.

2) Lack of Capacity: If there isn't sufficient resources on a specific mode but that shouldn't happen all the time plus if that's the case then you shouldn't be able to use that specific mode independently anyway.

You would think Sprint or AT&T or whoever would broadcast this feature in the common list of device specifications but my guess is it's a simple business decision. If they do it then imagine what people will start doing and how will it affect their overly consumed network.

I wish I have time to do other devices but unfortunately this is very time consuming. You would think someone who is getting paid would do this for us ("Sprint - Social Media team" ).

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
GrandMaster

the newer phones are able to do this. originally the only time you could do this was while you were on wifi or 4G.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Employee

It's true, it's referred to as SVDO (simultanious voice/data) and Does depend on the option to be available both in the phone that you're using, and the cell site that you're connecting through.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I call Sprint when I switch to their network and ask why I can't serfe and talk at the same time, while I used to be able to do that with AT&T, I have the Epic 4G Touch and off course the phone have 4G, Sprint Tech told me Sprint network don't support that.  It's not the tower or the phone like you said.

Journeyman

I have the GS3.  Would it be the tower or the phone or both?

Journeyman

E4GT (GS2) does not have the hardware to support SVDO.  The EVO LTE, GS3, Nexus, Viper and Victory all do as well, AFAIK.  The only thing I can think of that would be tower restrictive is if their was a severe capacity issue on the one tower close enough to connect to. The Galaxy Note 2 does not support this.  The iPhone 5 neither supports SvLTE nor SVDO (bummer).  Apple will probably never add this for CDMA.

Journeyman

GS3 has two attenas, data and voice. That's what makes it be able to browse and talk on the phone

Sprint Employee

Hello tinamanchester, I'm not referring to a phone's ability to use 4G, or WiFi for data while in a phone call. I am referring to a phone using 3G for voice, and for data simultaneously. which requires a specific chipset in the phone to use this feature, and likewise a specific hardware set on the cell site. Not all cell sites can allow capable phones to use this feature.

Journeyman

Would sprint network vision tower be that?

Sprint Employee

Yes, but not because of the Network vision enhancements, but because the site has capable hardware, and the option has been enabled. If you go to http://network.sprint.comand look in Oklahoma City for an example you will see voice upgrades, and data capacity upgrades listed. these enhancements make SVDO possible, Oklahoma city has not undergone Network vision enhancements yet.           

Highlighted
Journeyman

Folks,

Based on my knowledge and research (FCC handset reports), this is what I have found. It is called Simultanous Transmission Scenerios tested by FCC. Before a device is actually released, FCC conducts its own testing based on the specific set of requirements against the manufacturers device specifications/features. This is independent of the Network/Carrier so if their report says a device supports something then IT SHOULD !! Below is what I found from these reports.

1) HTC EVO 4G LTE

2) Galaxy S3

3) LG Optimus G

no SVDO

All 3 phones support CDMA 1xRTT Voice + LTE Data + WiFi Hotspot (SVLTE Hotspot)

These are facts, not opinions or maybes. If someone says but it's network dependent then it's BS. Here is why. The CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO is always ON and has dedicated hardware/RF assigned to be consumed. Same goes for LTE. There are two exceptions:

1) Authentication: If a network is configured to authenticate users seperately on CDMA 1xRTT (voice), EVDO, and LTE, then they can configure it to only authenticate a user on one mode only which will prevent you from using the other two but this is not typical so it's highly unlikely.

2) Lack of Capacity: If there isn't sufficient resources on a specific mode but that shouldn't happen all the time plus if that's the case then you shouldn't be able to use that specific mode independently anyway.

You would think Sprint or AT&T or whoever would broadcast this feature in the common list of device specifications but my guess is it's a simple business decision. If they do it then imagine what people will start doing and how will it affect their overly consumed network.

I wish I have time to do other devices but unfortunately this is very time consuming. You would think someone who is getting paid would do this for us ("Sprint - Social Media team" ).

View solution in original post

Journeyman

Yeah I fugred out it has two radios. Voice and data. xD Cool shit!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.