Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COME ON SPRINT! WHERE IS PHOENIX 4G?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint, I have been extremely patient with you all waiting for 4G service to arrive in Phoenix. I check the clear.com coverage map weekly hoping to see any change in the 4G coverage in the Valley of the Sun, and yet I am disappointed every single time because there hasn't been any extensive rollout of 4G across my city. I'm not going to resort to cursing or making personal attacks, like some others on here are, because I don't think it helps in this situation. I really just want an answer from you guys on when it will be coming to my city. I have to say that I'm starting to feel a bit cheated. I am forced to pay an extra $10 a month for an enhanced data fee (from my perspective it feels like watching everyone else enjoy 4G service while I get shafted). I have a wonderfull EVO 4G phone that is capable of 4G service, and yet I fear that it's never going to be put to use.

Here is what I think would be an acceptable resolution:

Provide us with a date of when 4G will be rolled out. PLEASE do not give rough estimates like Q1 next year or whatever. If you don't know when it's being rolled out, just be honest about it.

Make a committment to rollout 4G to my city. Sprint, do I even have to remind you how large the metropolitan area of Phoenix is?

57 REPLIES 57
Highlighted
Wizard

I think our chances of getting WiMax 4G for the valley in the near future are slim to none. Clear has run out of money and appears to have put any expansion of their network on hold until they can find additional sources of funds. Sprint appears to be weighing options at this point. WiMax, LTE or a combination of both.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for not answering my question Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel cheated as well. I bought my EVO 4G on launch day (actually had it pre-ordered in advance). Here it is March 2011, and the phone, though still great, it starting to feel dated when compared to some of the newer handsets out there. I don't know if I will ever be able to use 4G on the EVO here in Phoenix. Don't get me wrong, I love Sprint. We have a total of 4 lines in my house, and i feel the unlimited data and unlimited calling to all mobile numbers is a good deal. However, I really want to be able to utilize all of the features that I pay for and have already paid for! We are the 5th largest city in the US. We deserve the same services that Sprint has allowed other smaller, even more rural areas to enjoy. Clearwire's finances are none of my concern. The responsibility falls squarely on Sprint to take care of its customers. Please Sprint, don't force me to switch to Verizion. With the power of Android, I can finally take all of my apps and features with me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: COME ON SPRINT! WHERE IS PHOENIX 4G?

No Denny this info is some what incorrect. If you check Clear's map they have added some 4G to the valley since DEC. They have also put it up in Lake Havasu, Prescott, Yuma, and Globe since Jan 11. Clear shut down certain things to have more money for development and coverage rollout. So no this info is incorrect. The beauty of Wimax is that the technology is fully open. So check Clear.com coverage map, and if they have coverage it will work no questions asked. Even if Sprint website does not show it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It may be true that Clear is putting in service areas in Prescott, Yuma, and Globe, but how does that help the PHOENIX area.  Currently their map shows a SMALL area of Phoenix, and a SMALL area of Mesa being covered.  It doesn't show ANY of the other areas of Phoenix as even being in the FUTURE covered areas.  This is rediculous that Sprint wouldn't insist that ALL of Phoenix be covered.  How many subscribers would be reached if they built out in Phoenix, instead of opening up 4G covererage in towns of maybe 50,000 people...  Really?

--Disgruntled Evo owner--

Highlighted
Journeyman

a friend of mine in searchlight nevada has full 4g... ever been there?  its a hole in the ground that harry reid happened to crawl out of.  i guess to get 4g in phoenix we need to get john mccain to call sprint and or clearwire...

i couldnt believe it till i went to the clearwire website and sure enough searchlight in the middle of no where between phx and vegas has better 4g than the entire state of arizona. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree. This is POOR service on Sprint's part. A major business hub for Sprint and the 5th largest city in the country. Really bad. Thinking of going back to Verizon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They do have 4g... but their pricing plans suck... i mean suck bad, im not willing to give up sprint pricing for that...

We are going to get 4g its not a matter of if but when i am fully aware of that. what sucks and reminds me of the days of sprints poor customer service of the past and i mean 6 or more years ago.  is noone is talking.  clear has been putting up towers all over town id certainly say  from the amount of activity and the number of clear towers i towers i have seen put up all over town its a matter of at most a few months. what irritates me is that sprint cant tell not only phoenix but it seems other cities a timeline hey we know youre anxious and the talking heads here and if you call sprint directly, the line is we havent announced the date but we will soon. there is someone there that knows the date of the turn on of every city in the network this is a business they have a plan. share it with your customers.  we chose sprint for a reason most of us aren't going to leave because we get 4g later than verizon even though some people went to sprint because of 4g. 

sprint ppl here send this off to your bosses we know the company line you have  said it over and over.  take some initiative forward our concerns to someone higher someone that might know what the rollout dates are for each city and come back and give us an answer. pretty please cherry on top.. customer service means not only representing the company you workk for but also being the nexus for the customers you serve...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do not work for Sprint, but as a ex field tech for a cell company let me say this:

Sprint doesnt know when cities or even sites will be online, till they are online. There is such a huge process for just 1 site, let alone the 100's needed to cover a area the size of Phoenix metro. The FCC, city, State, t1 lines, switching, hand off testing, etc. It is like installing a whole new cell company over the top, it isnt flipping a switch or updating software. With that said, I want my 4G also, moving from MI to Phoenix this next month, and we have it in a town of 150,000 people here. Smaller area, less cost to install. Also, 4G phone was rolled out less than a year ago, gonna take time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

all well and good but vzw has 4g in phoenix the entire town, NOW(whos the now network again?) i would hope that sprint and clear would be working to not lose thousands of subscribers who have been promised since may that 4g was "right around the corner"...  

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think everyone that has Sprint in Phoenix should speak up about this. It is ridiculous that our metro area is being neglected. I have to drive to a different part of town to just get a small sample of what 4G service is like. If you check the coverage on clear.com, there are two spots for 4G in the ENTIRE metro area of phoenix. One in North Phoenix and one in Mesa. I drove through the Mesa 4G spot last night and did some speed tests. The fastest test I got was 6809Kbps down and 999Kbps up. The signal strength was poor most of the time. I know that these are just test towers from Clearwire.

TO SPRINT: Get your act together and turn on the towers in Phoenix already! I am tired of wasting money on an expensive plan for my EVO when I can't even use 4G 99.99% of the time in Phoenix. It's almost been a year since the EVO was launched and Phoenix is still not even on your list of cities for wimax. I swear Sprint, if you do not get 4G service in Phoenix by the end of my contract, I am leaving you for Verizon.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.