cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chicago - Data at Dial-Up Speeds, Constant Dropped Calls, and You'll Get My Text Tomorrow

Highlighted
Journeyman

Chicago - Data at Dial-Up Speeds, Constant Dropped Calls, and You'll Get My Text Tomorrow

Well, well, well... Where do I start.. First off, I guess I’ll throw in that I have been a loyal, bill-paying customer for eight (8) years, with two lines.

For the past year or so, Chicago's Sprint service has been deplorable! I have had a network ticket open since December on each of my lines. Those network folks are great, but their answers are really starting to lack substance and are getting repetitive.

"Looks like this ticket has an ETA of tomorrow, call back then."

or

"This was just fixed yesterday, power cycle your device and update profile".

Guess what, it's not fixed. Plus, it's not just my tower (60160) . I travel throughout the city and suburbs, and have issues everywhere! I have friends that have Sprint and complain about the same things. I'll text someone, and 6-7 hours or a day later I'll get a text back saying, "Why did you just text me 9 times?" My speedtest.net download speeds vary from 13kbs to 70kbs downstream, and that’s if I can even get a connection at all. I constantly get the quick "network busy" sound at least 10-15 times a day. One out of every two to three calls gets dropped! It's to the point that I actually expect getting cut off, but just hope it's not at a crucial part of the conversation.

I work for a large technology corporation, and communication is everything. I carry two phones, and designate one for work. My work phone is on "Big Red's" network, and I have never, EVER had any issues even close to what I have with Sprint! I could never even consider getting rid of my Verizon line if I wanted to. If I have a critical business call, I wouldn't ever risk taking it on my Sprint line, and that's a shame. I pay Sprint monthly for a service. This service has not been delivered. I thought I signed up for steak, and instead I'm getting that pink slime.

Now, don't get me wrong.. I have always been a Sprint advocate! I convinced all of my family and a good amount of friends to switch to Sprint. Do you think they are happy with me right now? No! I keep telling them, it's going to get better, trust me! Network Vision is going to be huge, just wait! They will be better than Verizon, they have a stronger frequency and it will be top of the line... But I, myself am starting to doubt my own promises. I have been calling in to the network team almost 4 times a week for the past 6 months for a status. They keep telling me that they see several "alarms" and tickets open on my tower, and they should have them completed in a few days. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I was specifically told - March 31st would be the completion date, then that turned to April 31st, and NOW it's the end of May and I can't even update my profile or run a speed test. Where’s the NOW network?

Two weeks ago I re-signed a 2-year agreement, and pre-ordered the new Evo 4G LTE. I have some technical insight on the current updates happening in my area, and I believe 4G LTE will be live very soon, and that’s the only reason I re-signed,, But what if it is not ready?. What if I am giving up my ONLY source to access the internet- WiMAX? What is this going to mean for the folks without an LTE device? I know the new spectrum is supposed to enhance 3G coverage as well, but when? Why do we (all of Chicagoland) have to endure this torture with our wireless carrier for months upon months upon MONTHS?!!! If your upgrade path involves causing this much of a network disruption, then your project management team is garbage. Also, with that being said, if this is all being caused by the integration of Network Vision (which has been verified by several reps), Sprint should be held accountable for causing complete network gridlock, and possibly hindering a life or death situation where a phone is needed.

I have urged others to call in and complain about their service instead of complaining to me. I thought that might open an eye or two at Sprint. It has not. This is now 8 months without a resolution. This should have been escalated to an executive level, months ago!! How can there be capacity issues, data issues, voice issues, tower alarms, etc…in the same areas without any trend analysis?

The right folks at Sprint need to know why their Chicago market is slowly being eaten up by Big Red. YOU ARE LOSING YOUR CUSTOMERS! WAKE UP!! It’s only a matter of time for you to force all of your now disgruntled customers away. Sprint is tainting their name in Chicago and the Mid-West area in general. Believe me! You can spend all the money you want to create a network from scratch, but if you leave your installed-base suffering, you will lose in the long run!

I'm sure others on this board can attest to my claims. If there is any moderator or admin on these boards that has an ear of either a director or executive level manager, you need to heed my comments and advice and take action immediately!

I will be happy to discuss further.

- Frank

42 REPLIES 42
Journeyman

Re: Chicago - Data at Dial-Up Speeds, Constant Dropped Calls, and You'll Get My Text Tomorrow

Had to bump this, because I need Sprint's attention...

Journeyman

Re: Chicago - Data at Dial-Up Speeds, Constant Dropped Calls, and You'll Get My Text Tomorrow

S.E. Wisconsin is the same. Had Sprint for 6 months and its been 6 months of service that sucks

Journeyman

Have you called in and complained? Tell them you want to open a network ticket. Although, it hasn't done me any good so far...

Journeyman

I have had the same issues and have called numerous times - or at least, I've tried to call numerous times. Only 2 of my calls have actually been successful - and by successful I mean that I've talked to a rep and explained the situation before getting cut off with poor service. This is an entire Chicagoland issue. No matter where I go, I get dropped calls and I'll get texts a couple days later - and then I'll get 40-50 at once!

Everyone I know of with sprint is experiencing the same problems. The timeframe I was given was July! I cannot deal with this until July! I've been with Sprint for 13 years now and I hate to leave (especially considering my plan is awesome), but I cannot justify the shoddy service any longer. I am losing business because of dropped calls and late texts. This needs to be rectified - you cannot handicap an entire metropolitan area like this without serious repercussions!

Journeyman

You are absolutely right!

I am waiting for a Sprint Community forum mod or admin to see this message and either respond or escalate accordingly. But again, not sure if they even care that they are about to lose a lot of customers. Tons of people who bought the original Evo, at or around release, are going off contract. It takes more than a shiny new device to retain their customer base!

Journeyman

It has been horrible. I called and complained on Saturday (had to stay in ONE place once I got a signal). I like most of you use my bberry for business, and my wife has the iphone to run her business. We are getting emails day(s) later, voicemails 2-3 days later if at all, and text messages - who knows. When i called in i was told they were upgrading their towers, blah blah blah. Ready by 6/30 and should see "a significant increase in data speeds".  I told her that it really means nothing to me, i have a bb and an iphone, not 4g. Its great that they are upgrading the 4G network, but the other service is just going to whither and die? i pay my $170/mo for 3 lines - and i pay the stupid friggen $10 data add on (even though all 3 lines COMBINED use less than 1GB a month).

"I understand your concern" she said, about 10 times. listen lady, no you dont!! How am i supposed to explain to my customers, how is my wife to explain to her customers "sorry, my cell phone blows so i wont be able to call, email or text you until the TARGETED 6/30/2012 date when my network should work again?" I am not receiving what i pay for!! so i get a $27.50 ONE TIME CREDIT!! YAY! So my phone works 25% of the time, and they offer a 25% ONE TIME credit. But only to the base package, not the add ons.......Awesome.

it gets better.

i asked the rep what she would do in my situation. If you were paying for a service that you were not receiving, how would you react? Her response?

"Sir, Sprint doesn't guarantee that your phone will work 24 hours a day."

i responded "Really? Isnt Sprint the "NOW network?"

"Not that I know of" she said.

Read the fine print. Sprint does not guarantee that your phone will work. That cannot guarantee that when someone sends you a meeting request for tomorrow that you will receive it, not go to the meeting and get fired. But they can guarantee that they will take your money. Because we MUST guarantee to send payment every month.

Hope your reading, Dan. This is a joke.

Journeyman

It makes me so mad! They might have it in fine print somewhere that they can't guarantee 100% service 24x7.. But what is happening is so beyond that.. They should be fined by the FCC for not delivering mandated standards of "3G". This is a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen.. and I just might be the guy to make it happen..

Journeyman

If you resign a new 2 year agreement then Sprint kept a customer that could have cancelled and used their pocketbook to make a statement.

I have been complaining since Feb 2011.  The SPrint Techs are amazing, customer service reps are atrocious.  I used to praise the customer service but instead of being truthful they dodge.  I started speaking directly with the technicians and I finally got real answers. 

My real thought is Sprint HAD to offer the iphone with "unlimited data" to lock people into 2 year contracts soe that customer additions will be shown to shareholders but these two year contracts are keeping people locked in to crappy service.

I want to stay with sprint and actually can leave but I keep foolishly hoping the network vision will be done sooner, rather than later.

Journeyman

I think I have you all beat.  I'm in Lake County, IL, far north burbs.  I've had NO service at all since Monday (5/21).  I've spent the last 3 days on the phone with Sprint for HOURS!  I've gone to the Sprint repair store.  I've been told so many different stories it's disgusting.  I can't call or text anyone, no calls or texts come into my phone.  But magically Sprint has called my phone twice and it worked.  Now the really weird part is, I can drive 3.5 miles to be out of my zip code and as soon as I'm in the next zip code I have service.  My kid has the same phone as me and is on my account and his phone works.  The only difference is, his firmware version is one up from mine.  The store was not able to upgrade my firmware, the tech never had that happen before.  He said nothing was wrong with my phone.  One lady at Sprint told me I wasn't even showing up on their network, WTF?!  My only option was to replace the phone for $37 w/tax!  I was also told the towers were the problem and they all won't be done until August.  I've been going in circles and have no choice but to replace my phone, through no fault of my own.  I will be leaving sprint after 13 years.

Journeyman

Those are my thoughts exactly! I have a great phone number to get me directly to network engineering, and they are great! But I think the issues still sit at their level, and are never escalated to upper management to actually draw the bit picture. And that picture is that the entire Chicago metropolitan area has either non-existant, or horrible service all the time!

I just got my new Evo 4G LTE today, and it won't even provision on to the network. Now really, that's ridiculous!! I had heard that a new LTE system had just finished being installed 10 miles from me, and I was overly optemistic about that. We'll see when that actually goes live. Even still though, there is absolutely no excuse for us having to deal with these issues since the end of last year. ....and yes, I've been saying all along that as soon as the iphone was introduced to the network, all hell broke loose.

I think I have the ear of someone who might be able to make something happen finally. I have third level management engaged, and they gave me direct desk numbers. Not sure how much they could actually do. They are looking at on a tower by tower basis, when in fact they should be looking at the entire area, and the systems that our towers connect to.

Journeyman

The same BS has been going on in SE wisconsin for over a year, i have been calling sprint and they keep saying it will be fixed soon, and then saying it will take longer than originally expected. voice, text and data all suck! I am so fed up I am ready to leave after 6 years...

Can you send me the number to management?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.