cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage issues in Louisville, KY for over a month

Highlighted
Patron

Coverage issues in Louisville, KY for over a month

I started having issues in the beginning of June. I worked in Downtown Louisville at the time and service was great, never really checked at home. Then, around the first week of June, actually around the time the Evo 4G Gingerbread update went out, my clock began going back an hour or freezing during the night and I'd wake up on roaming. I restored my phone several times, no change. Reception would go from okay in some places to walking into the gamestop near my house (where I'd previously at least gotten SOME 3G data reception) only to find myself roaming with 0 bars. This is true of where I work too, with outside getting between 4 bars roaming and 2 bars of sprint depending on the day of the week. Inside the building I'll get 1 bar 3G or 0 bars roaming. No data, shoddy voice. Calls drop all the time now too and streaming is near impossible.

I called phone support 7+ times now. I was lied to several times. No misunderstandings, flat out LIES. I'm in IT. I've done smartphone support. When customer service claims to put a supervisor on the line who won't shut up about his wife's iPhone and trying to spin how Sprint is so great long enough to hear the issue, and who's conclusion is that no matter what I do I will not get any better phone service from ANYONE else (untrue, guy with Cricket sitting next to me the whole call had 5 bars, 3G, blazing fast, and was using a droid like me) I start developing questions about the competency of your phone support. In the end, he also stated that, no matter what the coverage map shows, Sprint would not guarentee that I'd get ANY coverage, especially not any coverage that matches the map. He essentially told me that Sprint didn't have to back up it's claims and I could either turn in my phone and leave (putting me out 200), accept the Airwave and have a glorified iPod Touch running android that could make calls while I'm in my room, or just deal with it.

All of these options are unacceptable.

The Sprint Store wasn't much better. Got called a liar a couple times, was told that they knew of an issue, but phone support didn't know, they didn't have any plans on reporting it, but since they had an Airwave in the back I must not be having any trouble because I had 6 bars in the store. Of course I have 6 bars, you are piggybacking your network signal off the local broadband landline connection. Durr. Fools.

Look, I had half my last bill taken off, and got a free Airwave. Considering the verbal abuse I had to deal with to get that much, they haven't been any consolation. I want some hard facts here. Is this going to be fixed soon? Does corporate know about it? What do you plan on doing to make this right by me, the consumer who feels cheated and abused by your company? Telling me to deal, live with the fact that if I cancel I'm out a phone, the $200 I spent on the phone, and all my service or just live with this suddenly crappy sub-par service is not acceptable. I'm already to the point where I feel fully justified reporting this to the FCC, but I want to give Sprint one last chance to make this right.

85 REPLIES 85
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks. I will give it another shot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just wanted to check and see if you ever got the app to work correctly?

Highlighted
Journeyman

does it cost extra for us to roam on verizons network?

of course, I'll have to wait till I get home to download the app since I have no data service in louisville. If Verizon wasn't so much more per month I'd switch today.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, it does! It works great. Thank so much.

@amsler72 - the app costs about 4.00, but there's no fee for tapping into the network. Of course, be sure you're rooted.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No, roaming on your plan, if you have any new Sprint plan (2008 or newer I do believe?) is included at no extra charge. They claim that there is a limit of how many minutes you can use but I have used it non stop for the past two months with no issues. Besides, if Sprint decides to cancel my contract due to roaming I wouldn't mind at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Great, I am glad you got the app to work. Luckily on my phone, Evo 3D, it does not require it to be rooted. Some phones work wihtout being rooted, some don't it varies.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know my post is late but I just got the Samsung Epic Touch and have  yet to pickup 4g coverage in the Louisville area.  In regards to roam  control, does it allow you to use 4g from the other carrier?  Also,  other than phones calls using minutes off my plan, are there any other  down falls or something I am missing as to why this wouldn't be a good  idea?  We have a family plan with 1500 minutes and unlimited text, data,  etc.  Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You don't get 4G access from any other carriers, but at least having working 3G access is better than having nothing from Sprint.   I haven't noticed any other pitfalls since I rooted and started using roam control.  But, to be honest, I'm tired of paying Sprint for service and coverage they are failing to provide.  When the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is released on Verizon, I'm making the switch. I've been with Sprint for 13 years, and this has been the worst year ever for service - and they won't even attempt to try and fix it. C'est la vie.  Good luck. I hope your service is better!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wish Sprint would just come clean about their non-signal in the center of St. Matthews!!!!  You can be at the intersection of Shelbyville Road/Breckenridge Ln/Chenowith Ln, and you get ZERO signal strength and a roam??? You know why...I was told by a friend who works near Eclipse Bank that Sprint wouldn't renew their lease on their St. Matthews tower.  Amazing! 

Sprint, I'm your biggest fan...but I'm in St. Matthews a lot, and now your starting to lose me.  Anywhere around Trinity HS and Target...nothing.  I hate it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know my signal strength around Lagrange Road/264 is pitiful.  There is a ticket # 10033 open, has anyone else been given this ticket #?  Supposedly this was opened around Novemeber 7th.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll be honest, I've given up on Sprint caring enough to attempt to fix it. While I'm on my soapbox: I love that we have to continue to pay $10 (if you're on a 4G phone) for "increased data usage" when, ironically, I can never even get service - much less use my data plan. I can't tell you how many phone calls I miss because my phone simply won't ring. I've given up on doing anything on the Internet; and, can barely get texts to go through. Like I said previously, this has been the most nightmarish year in the 13 I have been with Sprint, and they are losing my account because they don't respect their customers enough to provide quality service.

Highlighted
Patron

Here is a thread I started back on June 7th.  I have had NO resolution.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/69718

Original text:

"In the past month my service has gone from GREAT to horrible.  Before the issue I almost always had 3-4 bars inside my place of employment (outside was full bars) and my 3G service was very fast.  Within the past month I've started to only get 1 or 0 bars while inside at work and 2-3 bars while outside.  Something has changed for the worse.  Also, at home in the 40165 area code, my service was always at full bars but now is always at 4.  Anyone else in the Louisville area experiencing the same issue(s)?  There's something wrong somewhere.

What really has me "mad" is the fact that I pay the $10 premium data fee every month because I have an EVO 4G."

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.