Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DONT BUY 4G PHONES

Highlighted
Journeyman

DONT BUY 4G PHONES

DONT BUY 4G PHONES IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY  Why buy a 4G phone ifg its not available in your are, worst of all its that they ( SPRINT ) DONT EVEN KNOW   WHEN IT WILL BE AVAILABLE CALLED TEXTED E-MAILED, CHATED ETC ETC NO ONE KNOWS NO ONE CAN ANSWER

DONT BUY EXPENSIVE 4G PHONES THAT DONT WORK IN YOUR AREA

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Master

The reason we can't release the date when 4G will be available in particular locations is because there can be delays or problems which make that date change.  So to avoid that problem, it's better to not say until it's really available.  The most current and accurate information about when/if 4G will be available in your location can be obtained at www.sprint.com/4g  -

I apologize that it is not available where you are located.  All of our 4G phones are also 3G phones, and so they can be used where 4G is not available.  If you compare our phones with the other carriers, I'm sure you'll find they are competitively priced.

I hope that addresses your concerns.

Highlighted
Journeyman

here we go just look at this answer from ROBO WHO ? I guess its some type of sprint automatic reply ? I am not making this up

WHE DONT KNOW,  *WHE DONT WANT TO TELL*  JA JA  great answer

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sorry, but I'm getting tired of Sprint's BS. Okay, so you can't tell us a date. Tell us this: Is Sprint currently working on rolling out 4G to cover a large part of the San Diego area? Yes, or no? It's true that my Evo works as a 3G phone, but that isn't what I paid for when I switched from T-Mobile in March.

[I know this is partially my fault. Sprint has been advertising 4G, and the other carriers are all pretty advanced in their rollouts (you may say "HSPA+ isn't real 4G," but I say it's 10x the speed I'm getting on Sprint's 3G and I don't care what you call it). So in March, it didn't even occur to me to check the 4G coverage, and the people in the Sprint Store were perfectly happy to let me go on believing in 4G.]

Highlighted
Master

Sprint does not comment officially on rollouts or any information apart from the official press releases. Until there is a press release or the information is authorized to be released sseparately you aren;'t going to get any official information, and asking for it is just going to get the same answers. When a rollout is nearing completion it is announced officially and posted both in the press release section of the site and here in the community.

There are a lot of places around the country that users are reporting getting 4G signals even though it hasn't officially launched yet, just take a look at places like www.sensorly.com which uses end-user phones running their app to map networks. Places like Phoenix, AZ show some coverage based on this incomplete information even though 4G isn't officially available there. It isn;t showing a lot of coverage, but it also is based only on users running 4G phones, using the Sensorly app, and being in that area when the tower is on and being tested. That's a lot of specific timing and circumstances for the phone and network to be in when being deployed.

We are not allowed to give out unauthorized information and getting aggitated/annoyed/whatever you want to call it when you don't get the response you are looknig for leads nowhere. We aren't going to risk our job over a tiny bit of information that could change at any time due to unforseen issues. Internally only the network team knows the rollout plans and current status. The frontline reps and tech support personnel aren't going to have access to that information specifically to prevent unauthorized leaks of information like you are asking for. When there is official information it is posted here in the community by an admin with clear disclaimers if applicable.

More related to the phones specifically, the 4G phones are also fully capable of utilizing our existing 3G network, and every other feature of the phones will work on 3G as well. 4G is only one aspect of the devices. Some of them have parallax 3D screens, dual HD cameras and dual-core processors (HTC EVO 3D), Others are pure Google experience devices lke the Nexus S 4G, some are world phones capable of being used overseas in GSM countries as well (Motorola Photon 4G). 4G is only one aspect of the device to consider when purchasing. I don't live in an area with 4G yet I have an Epic 4G. I didn't purchase it for the 4G, I purchased it for every other aspect of the phone (speed, physical keyboard, swype, video chat, mobile hotspot, etc.), the 4G for me was just a plus when I travel. For others it may be different, but making a blanket statement that people shouldn't purchase a 4G phone if they aren;t in a 4G area is pretty shortsighted, especially since if they are looking at any kind of high-end phone on any network it will be "4G capable", regardless whether they are in a 4G area or not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh, I'm sorry. You're absolutely right. I had a delusion that being a paying customer entitled me to ask questions about when I will get the service I feel I was promised several months ago.

I came (back) to Sprint for better coverage at work (but the coverage in my office has since deteriorated to the point where calls are getting dropped or missed) and in remote areas where I camp (haven't been out to some of those areas for a while, but rumor has it that coverage is pretty much gone). As for 4G, I only expected to have what I had with T-Mobile. But, according to Speed Test, I am averaging around 600 kbps with my EVO at my house. My T-Mobile G1 was generally up to 5000 or so kbps since they turned on HSPA+ (although, to be fair, the hardware of that phone was too weak to take advantage of that speed) when I left T-Mobile for Sprint.

Sprint's phone selection is far from unique, so please don't try to convince me I should be happy with substandard service because I have a cool phone. If I had stayed with T-Mobile, I would have an HTC Sensation, which competes very well with your lineup (3D is a gimmick that does not interest me in a phone).

I left Sprint several years ago due to poor coverage and poor corporate memory (Sprint "forgot" the terms of the San Diego Pioneer Plan). After several years with Verizon and then T-Mobile, and a lawsuit over Sprint's handling of the Pioneer Plan, I came back. But Sprint is not living up to its commitment. Not even close.

Highlighted
Master

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just explaining why you aren't getting official information about any 4G rollouts. We aren't allowed to give it even if we know it because it hasn't been authorized for release yet.

If you have better coverage or speeds with another carrier and feel their phone selection is more to your liking then you have the option of choosing that company. This is a competitive market and the consumer has the right to choose with company they go with. That is why there are multiple companies to choose from.

Highlighted
Journeyman

hey i love my htc evo 4g even though i don't get 4g don't matter iphone 4 is the same way i still get good service so it dont matter sprint is a good wireless provider in my opinion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't use Sprint TV, but I wouldn't stop buying Sprint phones as a whole. I don't use a lot of the stuff added to the phone before I buy it. I NEVER bought my Evo 4g or the 3d just for the 4g aspect. They are fabulous phones. Lots of people are happy (4g or no) with their Samsung Epics as well.

there is a tiny 4g footprint downtown unofficially where I live. Doesn't matter. I buy the phone for the capabilities and specs I like. If it has stuff I don't use, it doesn't bug me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No, I don't have an option of choosing another carrier. I drank Sprint's Kool-aid, now I have 637 days, 2 hours, and 48 minutes before I have the right to choose the company I go with again.

But if I'm not happy with it, I see no reason why I should let Sprint be happy about it either.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Look u all (these idols above) don't know how to research something before they buy it so don't call in and complain . If u don't like it pay the yet and get put . By the way I have a Verizon thunderbolt and my data speeds are nowhere near my EVO. Another word go find a chair turn it upside-down and sit on it .

Highlighted
Wizard

People don't know how to do research. lol

I didn't buy my Epic '4G' phone because it support 4G.

Don't tell people not to buy 4G-supported phones. 😕

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.