I'm barely getting 0.20mbps on my download speed and not much better for upload speed. New Spring customer as of a week ago. I didn't even know phones were capable of such low speeds, what the heck are they doing at Sprint?
Solved! Go to Solution.
There's no doubt that the network is being taxed right now. But this all started when the Evo was released back in 2010. Sprints network simply cannot handle the amount of data being used. Some towers can handle it but most cannot. But I think network vision will change that. If AT&T was able to fix their problems, than sprint can too. There are some areas that I have a 5 bar signal but the data is so slow that it's unusable at times. Then there are areas where the data is decent. It was the same thing when I had an iPhone on AT&T's network 3 years ago. All the carriers have growing pains. Verizon was just lucky enough to be able to acquire Alltel and that propelled their network, and their prices.
I am getting very similar data speeds. Is there anything we can do about this? Sprint clearly isn't living up to their end of the deal on providing data. What is the purpose of purchasing a smartphone if you can't even check e-mail, weather, internet, etc.? Smartphones aren't cheap, and neither is the data pack. If I would have known this going in, then I would have either gone with Verizon or just purchased another multimedia phone.
I understand how frustrating this must be, because when my phone doesn't work, it drives me insane. You just have to call every single day, and keep calling, until the problem is fixed. Just keep calling. If you want to pay the ETF you can switch carriers. It's going to take patience and persistence.
I spoke to an extremely helpful customer service rep yesterday evening...one of very few who actually seemed to know what they were talking about and not giving me BS stories about "we don't have speed issues!" She admitted to me that the speed issue is not just related to iPhone but to Sprint's network PERIOD! She claimed that Sprint is in the beginning stages of replacing all their towers (at least in the northeast/mid-atlantic) which is where I live and that's why the speed is so bad in this area right now because a lot of the towers are just bad and need replacing. She claimed it's like this acround most of the rest of the country as well but it's not as bad. Other areas will get tower replacements as well but Northeast region was first on Sprint's list because of constant storms, etc...apparently their equipment was FUBR!
I appreciated a Sprint rep finally admitting to me that there is speed issues and that she was quite aware of them...rather than some idiot rep who wants to sit there and insult my intelligence by telling me "we don't have any speed issues sir'...yea right...and I'm imagining 0.10mbps when I run speed tests, right? It's amazing how many people who work at Sprint are in denial these days.
I so agree with you, i am tired and completely pissed off dealing with sprint customer care who are consistently denying anny speed issues when i get only 100 kbps speed on my iphone 4s. not only that 5/10 times when i amke outgoing calls, the phone just gets dead silent, cant hear ppl on the other end, neither can they hear me, i dont even get a ring, its jst so upsetting and crazy. hate to have purchased new iphone4s, cant even get out of contract and switch provider now.
Please post your iPhone 4/4g data speed issue in the above topic. So far thats the only topic Sprint pays attention to.
.16 down and .05 up in washington state. This network is absoloute crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets all cancel and tell all of our friends and family to spread the word. Lets put it all over twitter,facebook and all mediums possible so that others dont have to suffer. And so sprint is likely to do something. come on people take a couple mintues of your time to let all of your friends and family know how SLOW the network is. I will pay more to switch to at&t or verizon if i have to. My friend is getting 8.87 down and 6.65 down on at&t 4g with an iphone 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the speed of my sprint 4s is embarassing. i garantee if this gets out even furthur sprint will be forced to do something about it.
I hear you guys but I'm shocked at all the fuss. Here are things that should be taken into consideration:
1. Sprint is launching 4G LTE in select cities in a few months.
2. iPhone 5 will utilize 4G LTE.
3. I personally don't do any heavy data stuff unless I'm on WIFI. I'd be surprised if anyone is trying to stream videos or something or 3G.
4. Sprint doesn't promise you any speed just access.
5. Switching to Verizon or AT&T just to get faster speeds is not a god choice as you would pay a lot more. Not worth it in my opinion.
6. AT&T has a network that drops calls all the time. You would be trading one problem for another.
1. Who cares? They are way behind Verizon and AT&T with 4G LTE. It will be in a few cities. Everyone complaing about data speeds who upgraded recently has over a year until their next upgrade discount.
2. Again people are stuck with their phones which are using Sprint's horrible 3G network. Unless Sprint is handing out iPhone 5's for free without a contract its not helping the people complaining.
3. You pay for data which is forced when you get a smart phone on contract. Funny some people like to be able to use it. Their network in New York City is so bad you cant use the google voice app, stream music, stream video, and the browser is slow.
4. Sprint advertises a certain 3G speed average. Its industry stated using EVDO Rev A you should be getting 600kbps-2mbps. Verizon accomplishes this
5. Sprint through the $10 "premium" data fee (nothing premium about Sprint's network), removal of discounts on lines 3-5, and them recently separating the first two lines on a family plan so you only get a discount on one line has greatly closed the price gap. For some people because of lack of choice on Sprint plans may actually save money leaving.
6. Cant speak on AT&T
Canceled three line with Sprint (two were under contract no etf because of the discount change). But two unlocked Galaxy Nexus using a T-mobile sim right now but I could change freely as I'm not in a contract. Unlimited talk, text and 2GB of high speed data for 57 flat a month. And when I use my data it actually works. Free tethering also. I could stream youtube in actually 720p hd. So its fast enough for any data task. Speed test below