cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS DOESN'T SEEM TO KNOW WHERE I AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

GPS DOESN'T SEEM TO KNOW WHERE I AM

I've been having drop call and data issues with my phone for weeks but yesterday was the strangest.  I needed to take my daughter to the airport and turned on the gps to check tunnel status and traffic.  After waiting more than 10 min for it to load, I was given directions to the airport.  Imagine my suprise when it informed me it was more than 200 miles away!  Closed it out and it did it again.  Pulled battery and reset and still Norfolk seemed to have moved.  Last I checked, the airport was at most 15 miles away.  What's up with this?  I live outside a very large metro area.  I was in Hampton, VA and only needed to go through the tunnel to reach Norfolk, but my phone doesn't seem to know where I am.  It was bad enough when I went to Louisiana and had NO service for the entire stay but this is ridiculous.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Wizard

GPS is a phone issue, not a network issue. Which model do you have?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a samsung Instinct and when I'm roaming in the middle of Hampton Roads, VA it's a network issue.  Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Highlighted
Wizard

Ah, you are talking about Navigation. Couple of things. Sprint  Navigation will only work on Sprint towers. But my understanding is once  it gets your route, it will not need to access Sprint's towers unless  you vary from that route. This may not be the case on the Instinct.

Check Settings > General > Location. Is GPS  turned on? If so, it is not grabbing your current location correctly,  possibly because it cannot triangulate with Sprint towers. The GPS receiver is dependent on the tower for timing and compensation for GPS calculations in the phone.

So  yes, you need coverage for Navigation and acquiring your location  without GPS. I would update your PRL for when you are roaming and check  for software updates for your phone. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for trying.  My gps is turned on and I have tried to update everything on my phone.  The prl updates and there are no software updates.  Looks like I'm stuck with this problem and just pray I don't get lost.

Highlighted
Wizard

Not if you have insurance. They will most likely replace your phone with at least an Instinct S30 at no charge.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately, in the past year, I have had 5 Moments and 2 Instincts.  At least this one will let me make and receive calls which is a big plus over some of the replacements I have received.

Highlighted
Wizard

Sure you don't have a network issue? That number of phones over a year with the same issue means that the issue was never the phone itself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This issue is a new one, lol.  Just the lastest in a long line of problems with my phone.  I have 4 lines on my account and the other 3 phones work perfectly.  Since I pay the bills, mine is the only one which messes up, figures.

Highlighted
Wizard

Isn't that always the way it works out.

Highlighted
Wizard

SHIRLEYUHRAIN,

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues that you've been experiencing with the GPS feature on your Instinct. My first suggestion at this point would be to bring the device into a Service and Repair Center. Please be advised if you need to locate one you can use the following link, http://www.sprint.com/storelocator.

If you have already visited a Service and Repair Center, please write to us at sprintcares@sprint.com. Please be sure to include your mobile number, account number, pin code/security question answer to the account, an appropriate follow up time and a callback number. Please allow between 24-48 hours for a response.

Thank you for being a valued Sprint customer,

-William

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.