cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo 4G LTE won't stay connected to LTE?

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Evo 4G LTE won't stay connected to LTE?

I work in Athens, GA and live in Statham, GA where the new LTE maps are lit up saying I have LTE access.  I can actually see the 4G signal light up on my HTC EVO 4G LTE device, and was even able to surf and pull a screenshot of it on July 14th, but it won't stay connected.  Every other time it switches to 3G once I do anything data/internet related.  Why won't my phone stay connected to 4G?  You can see the signal strength, if it is switching to 3G because of low signal strength this needs to be addressed immediately by Sprint.  A low level LTE connection will trump a low level 3G connection any day of the week.  Any ideas?  I've updated everything.  Seems Sprint and HTC need to get together and put out an OTA update that lowers the threshold for switching to 3G, of course I could be way off base here and maybe the tower wasn't completely turned on?  But if that's the case why is it lit up on Sprint's coverage map?  I've toggled the network settings, restarted, everything I can think of to try and get it to stick.  I was able to get a great connection in one area of town and was pulling down 17mbps, but haven't been able to recreate it since.  Thoughts?  Ideas?  Too early to tell?

2012-07-15_19-02-45.png

49 REPLIES 49
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got off the phone with sprint this is a big issue. They said they are working on all the towers in the DFW are so 3G and 4G are all going to be intermitent till friday. Luckily they said they would refund service from today till friday for the inconvience. still sucks though

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Galaxy SIII is doing the exact same thing here in DFW, so it is a network issue, not an issue with the handset.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just curious, but are you all running stock ROM, or are you rooted with custom ROM? 

I connected to LTE yesterday in Mansfield, TX (south of Arlington) for a little while. SpeedTest.net app showed 23.8 Mbps down and 12.5 Mbps up.  Then it dropped to 3G after about an hour and I have not seen it again since in that area, or in Ft. Worth today.  BTW, I am running MeanROM ICS 1.6 on LTEvo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Only problem I have with that is that I work for a company that handles back end stuff for Sprint in DFW so whenever they take down a tower or have equipment of fiber issues I get a page.  Doesn't happen all the time but I haven't heard anything today about towers being worked on.  Not saying it isn't happening but this seems to be more of a server/ software side issue as it is metroplex wide, not an individual tower issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm running stock right now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still rocking stock, was waiting for the developer community to get a little more behind the evo before I jump on board, probably around the time they get a stable Jelly Bean ROM. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having similar issues in Houston with my EVO LTE.  Despite being in East Downtown, which Sprint's coverage map shows sufficiently covered for LTE, I only saw an LTE connection when I was outside this morning and it was for a brief 30 seconds and I couldn't get it again.  I later went to the Gulfgate area and could get an LTE connection multiple times but it would disconnect every 30 seconds and go back to 3G.  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one going crazy trying to figure out WTF is going on.  Is it my phone?  Is the coverage map wrong?  Or is the network wacked?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't know, and that's what is so frustrating.  I was originally fearful it is my phone, as the EVO LTE signal strength has been in question since launch.  But it could simply be that Sprint shouldn't have launched something that isn't ready.  Or it could be them simply lying.  I'll tell you right now in Athens, GA there is 1 tower broadcasting usable LTE in one area of town, the rest of the town is dark HOWEVER shows up on their map as covered.  It seems to be a flat out lie on Sprint's part that their coverage is so widespread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

EVO 4G LTE.

I live in Dallas and am clearly covered on the 4G LTE coverage map, but the only time I have had 4G service is when I called and talked to a customer service rep. 4G magically showed up in the middle of the conversation and then it disappeared within the hour....has not shown back up. Seems a little coincidental if you ask me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Took my phone into a Sprint store and today where they had four demo phones running LTE, they couldn't get mine to connect, they did a factory reset to no avail and determined my EVO has a defective LTE radio.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did you guys with the EVO LTE get the OTA update to "fix" LTE connectivity issues?  Try updating your phone through menu if you have not as this is a known bug.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Updated on the 14th, and no new updates found since. Is anyone having a positive LTE experience?  If so, which phone? Which location?  The Sprint customer service rep I spoke with was nebulous regarding if my issue was typical or not.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.