cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo 4G LTE won't stay connected to LTE?

Journeyman

Re: HTC Evo 4G LTE won't stay connected to LTE?

LTE is down in Houston no one at sprint sins to know went they will fix the problem.

Journeyman

Switched to the evo lte last week. After a week of awful 3g speeds slower than dialup and no 4g this week i called sprint today. They couldnt tell me anything other than a tower being down in allen, but couldnt expain me not getting signal in the entire dfw metroplex. In the end i was answered with a resounding "i dunno." In short, its not the device from what i can gather but the whole network.  I told them the amount i recently paid to upgrade would justify me switching to another carrier, so they discounted my bill for a few months.   Ill hang around a week or so more in hopes something happens, but the lack of any information is not giving me hope. I justdont understand how rolling out (or attempting to) 4g killed the 3g.

Journeyman

I think this whole mess is caused by the retarded configuration option they decided to gowith the 4G - CDMA or CMDA/LTE ....  why not have a 4G on/off switch like previous EVOs so I can affirmatively enable LTE instead of leaving it up to the phone to decide ifit should use LTE. I think there is still a bug with the phone in the logic that decides which radio to use. Maybe it is something else, but that selection option seemed retarded from the first moment I found out it was the only way to turn on 4G.

Journeyman

I originally thought it was the phone but the fact that no phones can get or reliably hold signal points to the network.  Sprint CLAIMS to have rolled out LTE but its obvious they didnt.  Maybe turned on a few towers but never actually brought a market live and the coverage maps are just a flat lie.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After reading up about the rollout of LTE by Sprint and checking the coverage maps I have realized something.

It is quite an effort to rollout full coverage for 4G LTE and that it would have been a lot longer to wait if they wanted to release coverage at 100% in the areas released. So, I understand the logic of the release at 40% of the areas, but I (and many others) would consider the intial release a pilot test (as in most cases of technical projects).  I am in the technology field (create applications for a living) and I understand the difference between testing and user adoption, but I am pretty sure the average consumer does not. Tech gurus and afficianados understand the logic of what Sprint has done and demand that the average consumer stop whining (the excuse is that nobody forced your hand to buy a new 4G LTE phone before the technology was perfected). Marketing gurus would consider this a nightmare and consumers argue that they were fed promises by customer service - and marketing - that 4G LTE was only a short step away (and it was, but just at 40%). I see the logic in both arguments, but it starts to tilt toward the consumer argument when knowledge of these conditions are not clearly made public by Sprint. The simple solution would be to update the coverage map on the official Sprint site to reflect the conditions, inform your customer service and tech support of the conditions that are happening so they can respond accordingly, and release a statement making consumers clearly aware of the 4G LTE status - in response to complaints. The fact that the average consumer should have to call Sprint Customer Care (who basically knows as much as I do about the status) and make assumptions about the status of 4G LTE are fairly ridiculous. The forums and blogs of any Sprint-associated site will continue to be deluged by consumers with valid complaints (and even trolls) until transparency is made by Sprint on the 4G LTE issue.

Journeyman

Thousand Oaks/JonesmaltsBurger-San Antonio

I don't stay connected for more than a few seconds. On the phone with Sprint now. Not a happy sprint customer. And may not be a sprint customer for very much longer if they don't fix. I had issues with WIMAX for over a year and the continually made excuses.

Journeyman

I am completely with you Blessed...  There are growing pains specially if your an early adoption kind of person when it comes to technology....  As when I got my first EVO 4G the WiMax Network wasn't even up and running in Nashville, TN where I lived at the time and it was a few months before it was up and running and even then it was spotty at best.. Specially at my house but anywhere in the big city of Nashville you had a pretty good strong consistent 4G signal.. It was only when you moved to the out skirts and towns that made up the metro area that you started to drop and lose your WiMax signal all together... This seems to be completely different... They had a big press release but I live and work in and around Dallas, TX and I can't get a 4G signal but at one place about 30 minutes north west of Dallas in The Colony, TX and it's in the Walmart parking lot... a mile in any direction and it's gone...  You call Sprint customer support or chat with them and they say "Give me your address." and then tell you "Your in a great 4G area let me send out some signals to update your phone." nothing works.. Walk into a Sprint store that shows to be in a GREAT 4G signal area.. Nothing at all. They can't figure it out and none of their demo phones are picking up 4G LTE either...  I have a few friends here at work with the original 4G WiMax EVO and they are telling me that their WiMax signal is gone now in a lot of places that use to be a STRONG WiMax area (At work I rarely get the CDMA signal and use to always latch onto the WiMax signal as long as my phone was plugged up)

They never should have announced we were a LTE city and if people in other "Launch" cities are having the same issue we appear to be having in Dallas they should have just quietly turned on what they had ready and never made any announcement that it was live at all.... Then just let us all be pleasantly surprised when we happen to have a 4G signal... they are just trying to make marking decisions to gain new customers by bragging about their unlimited data and 4G network even though the coverage isn't even close to ready.... and at the risk of losing long standing customers... I for one love the new EVO and returning it to go back to the older slower EVO even if I could get my WiMax back isn't an option.. The phone is awesome and I love it.. Your going to pay the $10 premium add on charge regardless.. The iPhone is not a 4G LTE or WiMax phone and those customers pay the $10.00 fee as well so it's just life.. With my company discount I pay $70.00 a month after all the taxes are added in for unlimited data and never come close to going over the 450 any time minutes since 99% of the numbers I call are cell phone numbers... So it's a catch 22....

Journeyman

Kansas City market here. My experience with my Gnex is it seems to be a handset antenna threshhold thing. Same as when your phone makes the decision to switch between roaming and 3g. I work in a large building right near a sprint tower. Within that building I work in a lab in the very center of my floor with tons of electronic equipment. General 3G connection seems to be about the same as before. I get about 2 bars in my lab, but if I go out in the main area I get full signal. After launch, I get splashes of 4G inside the lab, and can briefly force it to connect by toggling the data connection with the juicedefender widget. Out in the main area of my floor or outside, I get a solid 4G connection that rarely breaks. I can hold this until I get about a mile down the highway from work. Parking garage, of course, is 3G only with about 2-3 bars.

I've read other people with similar experiences and seems like the fix would be to lower the threshhold on the phone. A mediocre 4G connection provides much better data speeds than a good 3G connection. Either that or just keep both connections, since that's one of the perks anyway. You can establish a call with cdma and still utilize the LTE data connection at the same time.

Journeyman

my verizon 4g lte on average with 4/5 of the bars pulls down 23mbps.......at least you guys are even getting that my data doesnt work at all anymore...craigslist takes 3-4 to load the homepage...chicago il

Journeyman

My son has Verizon and loves it. I'm thinking about going to Verizon even if I have to pay my ETF because I have never even had 4g WIMAX even though the map shows I should and sprint wont even discount my service. Which they don't provide what my contract says I'll get and I'm paying for.

Journeyman

The OEM Ericsson in texas hasn't completed the roll out for 3G and it's probably due to the fact that it's a launch market for LTE so they want to get as much LTE coverage as possible and then they'll work on 3G. Once the 3G upgrades are complete you'll see amazing 3G speeds ranging from 1.4-2.5Mbit/s down and 0.50-1.2Mbit/s up. If you're ever in Waco, TX Ericsson has upgraded most towers in the area for 3G and 4G.

Journeyman

I don't mean to sound rude but do you know how to turn it on? For coverage you should check http://sprint.com/coverage, put in your address and click Data.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.