cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?

Verizon currently has 55 markets and scheduled to be at 145 by years end.  Is sprint going to allow verizon to pass them up?  i live in the lexington, ky area and have been waiting on 4g since the realease of the palm pre in june, 2009.  I have not heard of any new 4g markets in a while.  Even t-mobile recently put hspa+ in louisville, ky recently.  In florence, ky, you can get spotty 4g from cincinatti, oh.

UPDATE........LEXINGTON, KY IS SHOWING UP LIGHT GREEN ON THE CLEARWIRE MAP!  i WILL TRY IT TOMORROW AT WORK WITH MY NEW EVO 3D AND REPORT BACK, UNLESS SOMEONE IN LEXINGTO CAN LET US KNOW?

127 REPLIES 127
Highlighted
Journeyman

UPDATE I NOW HAVE 4G,  as I have said there are wimaxx in my area 4 towers I spoke to Sprint they told me that they are not officially announcing the 4g coverage where I live because "there is limited support....from our partners...at this moment"..but is unofficially accessible cause I'm DOING IT.  It is so fast like sitting at a desk with my Verizon fios.  Noticeably faster.  Any way I used an app to map it since it doesn't show on Sprints coverage map.  I'm told it will not be until after the big announcement.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Doug_Springer wrote:

The cities showing "Future" service are in test mode, your unrooted EVO will not show 4G available.

These are Protection Sites.  Limited 4G deployments that Clearwire put up to meet FCC Minimum Service Requirements.  You can read more about Protection Sites here:  http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=260914210592691

Highlighted
Journeyman

TRKMKER wrote:

UPDATE I NOW HAVE 4G,  as I have said there are wimaxx in my area 4 towers I spoke to Sprint they told me that they are not officially announcing the 4g coverage where I live because "there is limited support....from our partners...at this moment"..but is unofficially accessible cause I'm DOING IT.  It is so fast like sitting at a desk with my Verizon fios.  Noticeably faster.  Any way I used an app to map it since it doesn't show on Sprints coverage map.  I'm told it will not be until after the big announcement.

This is the most accurate thing I have heard a Sprint Customer Service rep say to date regarding Protection Sites.  And I have had problems on one of the towers here in New Mexico, and it has been insane trying to get Sprint or Clear to do anything about it.  To call it limited support is an understatement!

I'm skeptical that these Protection Sites will show up on Sprint's coverage map after the October 7th announcements though.  I don't think Sprint will show them until they are full city deployments.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I tend to agree with you.  I didn't get the info about the towers from CSR that pick up phones they still say there are no towers with 4g in my area. Some one a higher up provided me with (let's be clear...) the unofficial info, even though they are an employee of Sprint.  I really appreciate the honest answer from the person instead of the Corprate line of no towers.  Honesty goes a long way but I understand the unofficial line to.  People love to complain and hold corporations to the fire.  We or some customers have brought the secretcy upon themselves.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint ownes 51% of Clearwire so if CW falls sprint stills keeps its towers.CW is the only one putting up 4G for sprint unless Time Warner Cable started and the other affilates there is 5 other companys in a partnership with sprint. Sprint owning most of it. So I doubt CW will fall especially since there following siut and helping with LTE deployment with Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why should I stay with Sprint?  I have called and e-mailed and have been told they have not plans for 4G in the near future here in Tulsa, OK.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I haven't had 4g since I started with sprint, however a few days ago I saw some bars on 4g, I keep scanning for it.  The 4g map doesn't show it, call center said I don't have it but I do.  Download 8110kbps/ 1548kbps up.  I recently sent the data to Sensorly website.  I do know this is new in my area but sprint will not acknowledge wimaxx here in florida.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FYI I have been using your sensory app in Florida zip 34233

Highlighted
Journeyman

i dont have 4g at all either... in fact i just signed up with sprint yuesterday only to find out i had "fair" voice coverage too! fair = 1 bar. and whats dumbfounding , is i live in a pretty poulated area? its not out in the sticks somewhere. i have 14 days to decide, i dont want to switch but coverage is important. any plans on 4g in the dayton ohio area? and why is coverage here so spotty? sprint is putting 4g up in places like marion, but not dayton? wtf man?

Highlighted
Journeyman

My sister attend University of Dayton and she also complains of terrible reception there. She is in a "great" coverage area according to the Sprint map but her phone barely works. I also have been having terrible issues lately with Sprint service in Louisville, KY. I am begging to believe Sprint's network is just falling apart everywhere. If you have an Android phone, it may be an app on blackerrys to not sure, there is an app called Roam Control. It will allow you to use Verizon's and Cricket's networks. There is also an app, can't remember the name, that you use in part with Google Voice Sprint that lets you use voice services over WiFi. Just good "wifi calling on (insert adroid phone here). You should get aton of hits. I did it for a short time until I found the roam control app. Now I don't even bother with Sprint's terribel network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

At the beginning of the year my contract was ending for my 3g aircard and I upgraded my 3g aircard to 3g/4g at the beginning of the year in anticipation of 4g coming into my area. I am on the fringe just outside of 4g coverage. Of course they renewed a couple of years on my contract. Now I find that I cannot use the device for anything at 3g speeds and am paying for nothing. I would like to suspend my 4g card account until they expand 4g into El Dorado Hills California. Sprint customer supported kept me on the phone for over 3 hours last night and offered no solution. The only thing I was offered was to pay $8.95 a month for a maximum of 6 months to extend the card's contract for 6 months with no promise that 4g would be available.  They even had the gall to suggest I could have the service blocked and still pay the full monthly price.  I believe that Sprint should be held responsible for charging me money for something I signed up to get and cannot use until such time as they fix the situation so that I can use the 4g for something or my situation changes so that I can use the card. I also have an 3d evo phone with them and they should appreciate that I am still paying them for using that. If Sprint doesn't want to do the right thing here, perhaps its time for a class action lawsuit. Is anyone else in a similar situation? I can also be reached at

www.3dcastle.net

where we offer a place to share 3d pictures and videos.

Highlighted
Journeyman

2011-10-20 13.58.13.jpgI live in one of the unannounced cities & or protection site called Torrington, ct. Just one tower about 3 miles or so away from my house. Its been 3 days since i found this spot in my house for the sprint mifi 4082 hotspot set on 4g only. It works 24 hours a day. The device does not shut of when its gets hot either. I get between 82-92 dbms at 2 bars 100% of the time. Mostly at the 82-86dbm range. This spot taped to my glass on the side door "extra door not in use" facing the tower on a hill. Indoor coverage away from the door is non-existant. If i move the device 6 inches from this spot the signal goes to yellow. Whch means 0 bars no dbm's. If this works out i am cancelling my wired internet. The signal works throughout the house with multible devices running at the same time "blu-ray & x-box live desktop pc ect.". For a site that doesn't exist i am not complaining. No throttling detected either. I am hitting 5gb of usage as of my 3rd day testing this connection as my only wireless modem in my house. Speedtest have been around 3mb to 5mb during the day to up to 10mb at night "after 9:00pm before 7:00am" download. About .3 to .5 mb upload 24 hours.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.