cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?

Journeyman

I live in the Rogers, Springdale, Bentonville, Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas region & travel to Tulsa & Oklahoma City Oklahoma area OFTEN. I have the EVO 3D my wife has the Motorla Photon & Neither of us have been able to access 4G in any of the above mentioned locations. Well, I take that back, in Oklahoma City on the 7th floor of our hotel room, right next to the window, we both were able to pick up 4G.  I'm switching to Verizon next month, everyone I know with them in Ar, & Ok have LTE all the time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MICHIGAN: Lansing, Detroit (Urban), Southfield, Warren, Roseville,  Clinton Township, Sterling Heights, Jackson, Flint, Kalamazoo, Benton  Harbor, Muskegon, Port Huron, Garden City, Adrian, Plainwell, Sault Ste.  Marie, Marquette, Ishpeming, Negaunee, Menominee, Iron Mountain,  Ironwood, Houghton, Hancock

I can tell you right now that the above listing is a straight up lie!  There is no 4G coverage in at least 5 of those cities listed, as one is where I live.  And yes I know how to turn on the 4G antenna, and yes I have a 4G phone (Epic).  I have only used the 4G network once in 10 months, on a vacation to Colorado.  Never, ever have I been able to use it in Michigan. 

Journeyman

If you go to clear.com and enter your zip code or double click on your area and zero in.  If it shows up as light green, or clear says they are covering but not selling, you should beable to connect and use the 4g.  You may have to zoom down to street level to pinpoint the coverage, but it should work.  It does here in my location anyway.

Journeyman

Well here is the thing, i was thinking about getting a new 4G phone and I realized they are no longer going to be supporintg WiMax and jump over to LTE.   If if you bought a WiMax phone in hopes that it would improve over time, forget it... it will not and they are rolling out 4G LTE in 6 months... Here is a chat I had with a Sprint Rep just now...I hope I asked the right questions and I was not rude to her.  Here it says "you" it is me asking the questions. 

Megan: Thank you for visiting Sprint. What questions can I answer for you today?
You: will the Samsung Galaxy S™ ll, Epic work on your future 4G LTE network ?
Megan: I would be glad to give you more information on phones.
Megan: Let's move this chat and make it a window of its own. That way, you'll still see this web page while we chat. Please click 'Yes' to move it now.
Megan: Simply click on the white "Yes" button below and we can continue.
You: ok done
You: will the Samsung Galaxy S™ ll, Epic work on your future 4G LTE network ?
Megan: Thank you for moving the chat.
Megan: Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic will not works on LTE network, this phone is not compatible with LTE.
You: are has sprint stopped expanding Wimax?
You: and.. has sprint stopped expanding Wimax?
You: sorry for the typo
Megan: No problem!
Megan: Sprint expects to support WiMAX customers throughout the life of their device. WiMAX customers should continue to get their great 4G speeds and customer experience they've been enjoying since Sprint launched the country's first 4G network from a national carrier in 2008.
Megan: Sprint will continue to sell WiMAX devices through 2012. There are no current plans to take down the WiMAX network or to shift our customers off this network.
You: but ... you are not expanding no wima
You: x
Megan: Yes, you are right.
Megan: Phones that are WiMAX capable will not run on the LTE network, however, WiMAX will coexist for years with LTS, so WiMAX phones will not become obsolete once we launch LTE. Separate devices created with the LTE specific chipset, antenna, and other hardware will be made available to use on the LTE network.
Megan: Are there any other questions I can help with?
You: hhg
You: sooo
You: If I already have spotty coverage on WiMax already I am losing out
You: why should I extend or even become a customer with Sprint if I am not going to see improvement on your network
Megan: Throughout 2012 Sprint will be working to add 4G LTE, and improve existing 3G coverage.
Megan: Customers in Dallas, Atlanta, Houston and San Antonino are scheduled to receive 4G LTE coverage in the first half of 2012.
Megan: Please Click Here to sign up for updates on LTE coverage.
You: If a customer that doesnt know to ask these questions, do you tell customers about the above? Like your 4G wimax phone the coverage wont be expending and your LTE phone your are selling will only work on above regions.
Megan: Right now I also do not have complete information regarding this service, I would recommend you to call our customer care at 1-888-211-4727.
You: OK but on the number to call I would be speaking to someone like you, why can't you answer me?
Megan: This service is yet not launched and we have very limited information and I gave you all information regarding this, which I know.
Megan: You will get concerned department at customer care this regard.
Megan: Please Click Here to sign up for updates on the Galaxy Nexus and other 4G LTE devices.
Journeyman

Here in Chattanooga, TN. I dont think Sprint should sell phones that you cant fully use. They dont charge you any less for the lack of service they offer!! 4G phone with no 4G service still...what a sheer and utter dissappointment. All Sprint can say is Im sorry we dont know anything about anything, all we are interested in is your money, if your dissatisfied o well suck it!! 200.00 pissed away each month!

Journeyman

Write the corporate office to the head man with hard copies attached in hard copy letters of any emails u've received from sprint and explain your situation.  It is the "only" way you'll get this resolved.  I know from experience.  Unfortunately, I will not be staying with sprint at end of contract due to several issues in past and cost overall.  I pay more in taxes almost than the acutual bill and getting charged with stuff we dont even use  or have on account.  Customer service in not what it "should be"....good luck.

Journeyman

On your list you show New Mexico cities. None of them have 4g coverage. They turned it on for about 2 days about a month ago but it then went away and has not returned.

Journeyman

Re: Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?

I just found ouy my contract with sprint is up in april 2012 - i have been renewing contracts with them since 1997

this last time i was happy to extend for 2 yrs on the promise from the local store manager that 4g was months away from tallahassee - i was gullible and bought the "FIRST EVER 4G PHONE SPRINT EPIC 4G!!"

well, 24 months later and nothing - and even the 3g has seemed to deteriorate over time

my buddy who got a new verizon android was showing off his 4g to me - of course I asked "do you get it everywhere in tallahassee?" he answers "sure" as if I was asking if he sleeps every night

looking at the plans, it seems verizon is a little more expensive - but heck, I have paid the $10 up charge for 24 months ($240 total) and with no 4g and with crappy 3g (and don't ge me started on the gps problems since the last firmware update) - so I don't mind paying more for actual 4g service that seems as natural as breathing (according to my friend)

good bye sprint - you have lost a 15yr customer - hope you're happy - I know I will be in april!!

Journeyman

They did the same thing in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem PA area), they sold 4G phones and told us we would have 4G service in February-March of 2010. We never got it, and they are mum on whats next! Had I known, I would have not invested in a 4G phone which cost quite a bit more.

IF I renew my contract in the fall, I will be wheeling and dealing and reminding them that they did not deliver the last time!

Shame Verizon's coverage is poor in my area, I had them for 14 years till they made changes that degraded the coverage.

Shame Sprint didn't deliver the 4G!

I'm not blaming the sales reps, but Sprint as a whole; they should own up and somehow compensate those of us who waited patiently for the 4G they never delivered.

Journeyman

Why does Sprint continue to falsely advertise in NH 4g when there is none. I have had Sprint for 10+ years it seems but it's really getting frustrating when all the commercials say, "4G, 4G, 4G! and yet there are no towers here. Please spend less money advertising and more money on 4G towers. Even some people on these very forums sit there and say, "Oh yea, there are towers there, just look at the MAP. Well the map lies!

Journeyman

I have been waiting for 4G here in Phoenix/Glendale, AZ area since the EVO came out. I'm about ready to move on to carriers that have 4G. The unlimited data service is nice, but having experience several dropped calls, I'm ready to make the next move.

Journeyman

Sprint has stopped expanding Wimax 4G. They are keeping there current Wimax 4G towers but locations that have no 4G will be getting LTE 4G. This means the old EVO 4G which I currently have, And still do not have 4G will not work on future LTE 4G areas,How ever the new evo will. I feel your pain. However I like the unlimted data if they go capped I will leave not until then.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.