cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible 3G speeds in Baton Rouge, LA - any fix coming soon?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Horrible 3G speeds in Baton Rouge, LA - any fix coming soon?

digiblur1 wrote:

I only had a little bit faster speeds today...but like you said it is Friday.    I did however see the fastest 3G speeds on my phone last night.  I hit 2.0 megabits, but it wasn't on Sprint's towers..  I haven't found one tower in BR that has more than one T1 to it yet.

There is at least one:  yesterday (Sunday) afternoon I was at Airline & Berringer-Foreman and hit 1744 / 585 on Sprint.  Actually, this Monday morning here in the Coursey / Sherwood area isn't as bad as normal: 65 / 216... that's about 3x the normal download speed of 20 kbps you can typically achieve on a weekday morning here.  Maybe people are just late for work after Halloween?

Highlighted
Journeyman

4ringsnbr wrote:

There is at least one:  yesterday (Sunday) afternoon I was at Airline & Berringer-Foreman and hit 1744 / 585 on Sprint.  Actually, this Monday morning here in the Coursey / Sherwood area isn't as bad as normal: 65 / 216... that's about 3x the normal download speed of 20 kbps you can typically achieve on a weekday morning here.  Maybe people are just late for work after Halloween?

I was riding with someone and had a chance to do a few speedtests...  Florida & Airline...  80kbps down... Sherwood and Florida 95kbps..  Sherwood and Coursey 25kbps.

I received a call today on my ticket today...  they are adding a T1 to the tower near the Airport.  Guess the business guys waiting to get on the plane or burning up the internet and the few hotels around?

I don't know about you guys, but the speeds seem to be getting slower and slower everyday     Wish the tower ticket guys would read this thread...or someone up the chain would do some reports on the towers and see they are maxed out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We need to stay in close contact with the network guys as it is our best chance of getting more and more towers evaluated.  So is there a ticket opened for the tower at coursey/sherwood?  When you think about this area and when the 3G switch happened, you have to think these towers are completely overloaded because before, Alltel was providing the 3G and there are more Alltel sites in this area.  So now Sprint customers are pulling off less available sites and obviously little to no backhaul going to these sites.

Highlighted
Journeyman

digiblur1 wrote:

4ringsnbr wrote:

I was riding with someone and had a chance to do a few speedtests...  Florida & Airline...  80kbps down... Sherwood and Florida 95kbps..  Sherwood and Coursey 25kbps.

I received a call today on my ticket today...  they are adding a T1 to the tower near the Airport.  Guess the business guys waiting to get on the plane or burning up the internet and the few hotels around?

I don't know about you guys, but the speeds seem to be getting slower and slower everyday     Wish the tower ticket guys would read this thread...or someone up the chain would do some reports on the towers and see they are maxed out.

Make sure to email the speed test results with locations to the private email I sent you so they're aware of it.  I told them it was more than the one tower in this area, so they SHOULD examine all 20 or so BR area towers, but I fear without opening tickets on each one, they'll be stuck in dial-up speed land...  They should be REQUIRED to have a minimum of 3 T1s to each tower so they can saturate the EVDO rev. A capabilities for a single user at least.  If they're shooting for an average of 600 kbps (minimal "3G" speed), then a single T1 would assume only 2 users per tower, not the 2,000+ users towers should be able to handle!

Is there a list of towers/ locations for the BTR market?

Highlighted
Journeyman

bzeringue80 wrote:

We need to stay in close contact with the network guys as it is our best chance of getting more and more towers evaluated.  So is there a ticket opened for the tower at coursey/sherwood?  When you think about this area and when the 3G switch happened, you have to think these towers are completely overloaded because before, Alltel was providing the 3G and there are more Alltel sites in this area.  So now Sprint customers are pulling off less available sites and obviously little to no backhaul going to these sites.

Yes... Ticket 18640410-101021 was opened for this area... and more information for them... today at 12:24 PM (same location) I have 3 kbps download and 142 kbps upload with a -82.5 dbm signal strength on channel 75, band class 1, Pilot PN 348.  I wish I had a 9600 baud modem, circa 1990... I'd have 3 times the download speed as I do now!  This is absolutely absurd for a city with a metro area population of over 750,000 to all suffer this kind of performance.  The worst part is that this has been going on for about 4 months now and constantly getting worse!  It's hard to believe with all the corporate Sprint stores scattered all over town that these issues haven't been reported by a multitude of customers.  Even non-tech types that don't know how to run a speed test should be complaining when you can't even open a webpage on your phone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think there are only 2 corporate stores left in BR.  The one on Bluebonnet and the one on Corporate. 

I was at my dentist today which is right at sherwood and coursey and web browsing was basically non existent.  I switched my phone to 1x mode and it at least became usable.  That is pathetic.  Are they planning on installing more equipment to the tower that services that area?

Highlighted
Journeyman

bzeringue80 wrote:

I think there are only 2 corporate stores left in BR.  The one on Bluebonnet and the one on Corporate.

I was at my dentist today which is right at sherwood and coursey and web browsing was basically non existent.  I switched my phone to 1x mode and it at least became usable.  That is pathetic.  Are they planning on installing more equipment to the tower that services that area?

There is one on Sherwood between Coursey & Airline...

Highlighted
Journeyman

That used to be a corporate store, but now it's a Connectivity Source run store now.  I know because my friend used to manage that store.

Highlighted
Journeyman

scottuffman1 wrote:

Is there a list of towers/ locations for the BTR market?

No, I mapped out quite a few of them.   Been adding a few here and there on the map.  Scroll back through this thread and you'll find the link.  You'll quickly see they are space too far from one another for 1900mhz.

Highlighted
Journeyman

bzeringue80 wrote:

Alltel had about the same number of sites for the area as Sprint..but of course they were running on the cellular band and not 1900 PCS band, so they had more coverage and better in building coverage.  Sprint has the towers too far apart from one another in BR, hence all the inbuilding coverage issues you see around town.  But I doubt that will change anytime soon.  I just want the 3G speeds to be fixed where you do have a decent signal.  It's apparent Alltel had more bandwidth to cover things, and Sprint came in and threw a T1 to every tower.  Possibly their plan is to come back and see which ones are maxed or which ones get called about to keep their costs down since the number of Sprint customers in this area is so low.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any updates from the technicians?  I'm hitting 13 kbps this morning.  Phone is faster when I put it on 1x mode only.  I got a $50 service credit from Sprint due to the abysmal speeds we're getting. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.