cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible 3G speeds in Baton Rouge, LA - any fix coming soon?

Highlighted
Patron

Hey guys my BB Tour 9630 says

Pilot PN 510.... any information?

Thanks!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure what tower 510 goes to.  What area are you in?  (closest major intersection)

Highlighted
Patron

Closest Major intersection

Florida and Sharp Rd

or

Florida and Sherwood Forest Blvd.

Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

There's a Sprint tower right at Florida/Sherwood, so you're probably connected to that one.  Here it is   http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=florida+blvd+baton+rouge+la&mkt=en-US&FORM=BYFD

Highlighted
Patron

Thanks I appreciate it.... the only way I can do anything on the internet (ie pandora slacker youtube etc) is if im connected to my nice shiny Airrave device.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

That tower has pathetic speeds similar to some of the others brought up on here.  I was informed that tower recieved an upgrade recently, but it was only for voice capacity.  The data capacity they say should be done soon.  Do you have the new 3G airave?  It gives great data speeds from what I've heard.

Highlighted
Patron

I have the Sprint Airvana... not the Samsung Airrave... the 3G speeds are pretty good though.... and yea I can agree that the tower in this area has absolutely pathetic speeds.... what luck I have... from one pathetic zone (florida and sherwood) to an even more pathetic zone- Coursey/ Sherwood... Damn!!! LOL

Highlighted
Journeyman

BZERINGUE80 wrote:

There's a Sprint tower right at Florida/Sherwood, so you're probably connected to that one.  Here it is   http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=florida+blvd+baton+rouge+la&mkt=en-US&FORM=BYFD

That tower was supposedly upgraded to more EVDO capacity.  Unfortunately I never saw a change in that area after the upgrade date.  I have the one map that I keep up to date with several things on the Sprint towers.  I could also added the PN's to the towers so we know what is what, plus I keep the upgrade notes there.  Let me know if you guys would like to help keep this thing upgraded. 

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=211869730983851991752.00049207779fee3773756

Highlighted
Journeyman

digiblur1 wrote:

BZERINGUE80 wrote:

That tower was supposedly upgraded to more EVDO capacity.  Unfortunately I never saw a change in that area after the upgrade date.  I have the one map that I keep up to date with several things on the Sprint towers.  I could also added the PN's to the towers so we know what is what, plus I keep the upgrade notes there.  Let me know if you guys would like to help keep this thing upgraded. 

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=211869730983851991752.00049207779fee3773756

Yea, the Sherwood/Florida tower did get an upgrade recently, but the Sprint tech I talked to says it was only for voice.  The data upgrade is coming though.  I like the idea of keeping this map up to date, and I have quite a few more towers that can be added to it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sounds good.  I usually zoom in using the satellite view to place the markers.   I've never added a coloborater on the map, but it does have the option, I assume it would require your gmail.  Send it to me in private message, I can't seem to find your email address I used to have.

I have been monitoring this board for a while...and have had the same issues as most of you. Today, text messages are delayed on two of my phones.. Network is cyclical and other issues. I have escalated all these issues and have made sure that it is documented that it maybe time for us to go to the PSC since there hasn't been a resolution to the issues.

Not sure if you have the most documentation for the matter or not but it would be helpful to pull it all together to give them one more chance to remedy the tech issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think I know why the Florida / Sherwood tower got a voice only upgrade not a badly needed EVDO upgrade as well.  The same problem would also explain why the downtown tower and Sherwood/Coursey towers are being pushed back despite being absolutely horrible and extremely slow.  I think that there is such a data demand in these areas due to the density of businesses, etc. that Sprint will require more switching and backhaul capacity to the region-- they simply don't have enough T3's feeding Greater Baton Rouge to handle these areas.  The downtown tower and the Coursey / Sherwood tower each service an area of about a 2 mile radius.  During the weekdays, these parts of town are home to between 30,000 and 50-60,000 people (each).  If Sprint has about 10% of these as subscribers (about their national ratio of subscribers to population), this means they have 3,000 - 5,000 customers on each of these towers during the daytime.  They would need a significant number of T3s to adequately supply the bandwidth needed for this many folks.  They probably can't do it within the 40 MHz of PCS spectrum they own in this area-- they probably realistically need additional towers not for coverage but simply to split the data sectors to meet capacity of data bandwidth within their spectrum.  I mean at my office at Sherwood & Coursey, I pull EV from Verizon on at least 6 different channels and 1X on Verizon there has several additional ones as well.  This could be a long-term problem in these parts of town.  I would expect similar issues in the Essen / Perkins / I-10 area and maybe in the College / Corporate Blvd. part of town.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.