cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible 3G speeds in Baton Rouge, LA - any fix coming soon?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Horrible 3G speeds in Baton Rouge, LA - any fix coming soon?

Ever since Baton Rouge was upgraded to Sprint owned 3G in July their speeds have been horrible!  I wish we were back on the Alltel 3G like we were for a couple of years.

The difference in speeds varies so much, like basically some towers are broke or lacking backhaul and others are not.  Time of day does not make a difference so I it's not a loading issue.  I can be 0.25 miles from one tower and hit 1200/600 on my Epic.  Go down the road by the airport with 6 out 6 bars, -65 dbm signal, if I can get the speedtest to run I will hit arond 20-30/100...even at 3am in the morning! Some tests were hitting 6/60!  6 kilobits...that speed reminds me of the days of dialup...hell we used to get 22-32kilobits on dialup!

Downtown is also another joke for 3G.  C'mon?   50/100?   You can't even get Pandora or Slacker radio to work.   Give up on trying Youtube.  The sad thing is if you force your phone to roam on Verizon's 1X (2G), you'll have faster speeds and less data stalling.

I'm really thinking hard about returning the recently upgraded phones and cancelling the whole thing.  This is ridiculous.

Can any Sprint reps here check into if any tickets are open for the area?  If not I'd like to open some on quite a few areas here.

318 REPLIES 318
Highlighted
Journeyman

You've got mail.

Pass it on to any Sprint customers you know.  Nobody should have to put up with this crap for this long.  Credit to digiblur for the modified PRL.

Highlighted
Patron

Absolutely and I agree... so far everything is working beautifully w/ the modified info. I'll wait a little bit before I check and see how things are on the Sprint Side... I'll pass it along to as many Sprint users as I can.. I know of 2 that will love this as soon as I can get it to them. Thanks again for all of you guys help (special shout out to BZERINGUE for putting me on game w/ force roaming the BB and for the updated PRL file) I'll chk back in shortly and we'll see if things get any better on the native side for us.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Glad you guys are getting things to work out there with the PRL.  I'm just passing on things I received from others to help us all out

Here we are 10 months later....  with NO FIX!!! 

http://www.speedtest.net/android/53053592.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought I'd check on the Sherwood / Coursey tower here at the office that has been unusable for 10 months now.  The speedtests below were both sitting in my office first using the Sprint 1X/ Verizon EV PRL... then I did a PRL update to get the latest Sprint PRL.  Unfortunately, speedtest had to be launched 3 times after on Sprint before it successfully loaded, hence the delay:

9:57AM on Verizon Ch. 78: 484 ms ping / 1971 kbps download / 721 kbps upload

10:00 AM on Sprint Ch. 75: 1946 ms ping / 8 kbps download / 151 kbps upload

Needless to say I reloaded the Verizon PRL immediately.  I wonder how much Sprint is paying in roaming fees to Verizon in the BR area now?  Surely they could've paid for a WHOLE NEW TOWER by now... I mean it's been 10 months!

Highlighted
Patron

I'm sure they are having to pay an annoyance of roaming fees to Verizon and they probably cannot figure out how or why its happening..... The sad thing to me is that after all this time Sprint hasnt bothered to send its customers anything in the mail re: the issues and have not (nor do they intend to) provide(d) any information to its subscribers here.... I will say this after carefully researching other carriers Sprint is still best in pricing etc... it just makes me wonder why it would take a year to add capacity and backhaul the network here.... New Orleans and Baton Rouge share a the same network ID 4159 and things seem to run w/ no problem down there... are we sharing a switch with N.O.? or do we have our own switch for the B.R. area? I figured i'd keep using the Verizon PRL on data (which is not perfect but alot beter than SPCS right now) until Sprint decides to get it together or until someone calls or sends me a letter terminating my service. I've passed the PRL on to 5 people so far...

Sprint will eventually get things right in B.R. (I hope) and I am actually looking forward to that massive network overhaul which is to come over the course of the next few years... Google Voice integration is pretty cool too

Maybe they've forgotten that we are here.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

The switch is in Hammond, but I don't know how much of the state is run through there.  I'd love to have an inside source for network ops in the Gulf States to find out what is really going on.  Or maybe there is nobody actually managing the network.  lol

Highlighted
Patron

LOL

I would probably agree with the second option... If we keep tearing Sprint up on roamer charges to VZW they will get it right.... as much as I hate to say this but it looks like it may take a hurricane or something to get Sprint to pay attention to us....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I took a little ride to Lake Charles over the past few days.  Interesting network findings...  when I came off the basin bridge heading to Lafayette, I did a speedtest as there is a tower right there.  I was hitting 1700 down...  very odd that they have more than one T1 on that tower but then in towns you have towers with only one.   Most of my speedtests were pretty decent.  Ranging anywhere from 300-800 on average...mostly 500 or up with decent signal.  Some parts of Lake Charles had issues with only pulling 100-200, but it was few and far between.  Lake Charles has a much denser tower setup that US Unwired rolled out there so less people are using each tower.  4G was pretty nice...right in the middle of town...  pulled 8200 down quite a few times! 

On my ride back... I hooked up the phone to the radio, and turned on Pandora.  I never missed a beat during the 2 hour drive...even across the basin!  When I was about a mile from the Mississippi River....dead!  I got it fired up again when I hit the downtown area, but it only worked for about 10 seconds.   Hit Roam Control up...and Pandora fired up once again with no issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm in the Houma area and for the last few months I haven't gotten anything over .05mBps. Don't know what's going on but this speed sucks. Ran speedtest 10mins ago and got .02mBps.

edit:

Here is the test results I ran today using speedtest.

Test Date: May 20, 2011 10:44:02 am

Connection Type: Evdo0

Server: Hammond, LA

Download: 4.1 kB/s

Upload: 11.0 kB/s

Ping: 841 ms

Highlighted
Journeyman

How are you guys/gals enjoying the $36 million Sprint spent on this state on network upgrades?  Yes, sarcasm...;)  I'm sitting here still watching the paint dry faster than the EVDO network will pull up a google.com. 

I will be contacting a few of you privately as I'm putting together a bunch of information for several news media outlets to run a story on Sprint in Baton Rouge and surrounding areas.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any of the other downtown go'er's notice that 3G is gone downtown since 5/25 afternoon?  My phone was connected on 3G when I left the house this morning.  When I got to work I noticed I was connected on 1X only.  A reboot or airplane mode cycle connects me back to 1X only. 

Note to EVO and Epic users...  when you are connected to 1X only your phone will still show 3G.   You have to use the mobile signal widget to see the right icon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I will update my PRL and check it out.  The rom I have on my EVO shows when I am in a 1x area. 

Edit:  Updated PRL and I'm on 1x.  When I go to lunch, I'm going to look and see if any Ericsson trucks are outside the building the tower sits on.  I saw some AT&T trucks outside it a few weeks ago and got a chance to talk to one of the guys.  He said they were doing work on some T1's, but I wasn't able to get much more info out of him. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.