cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a wimax phone, now what?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a wimax phone, now what?

So 9 months ago I bought an Epic 4G. Does anyone know what Sprint will be doing for wimax phone owners now that they are going to LTE? The only reason I bought this phone was because the salesperson at the store assured me of continued 4G coverage into my area (where we only have EVDO).

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: I have a wimax phone, now what?

sorry but you were were told wrong. the current 4G will continue until sometime in 2015...but it will not be expanding

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Master

The Wimax network was being built by Clear. They determined where the 4G wimax towers would go  They may resume their build out but have no information on that one way or the other.  Sprint is now in the process of building out is own 4G lte network as part of the network vision upgrade.  We will continue to provide Wimax coverage in the areas where there is wimax into 2015

Highlighted
Journeyman

So basically, I'm stuck in a contract on a phone that won't ever get 4G because some guy wanted to sell me a new phone. Awesome. That is an amazing way to handle business.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been promised 4G service in the Norfolk Virginia area for 3 years!!! I too bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch expecting 4G service was still coming. Shortly after I bought the phone Sprint switched to LTE and I was told by Sprint Customer Service that Norfolk would no longer be getting WiMax, but4G LTE. I have spoken to an attorney and this case is very close to if not fraudulent business practice under Virginia law. Can someone tell me is Sprint going to satisfy the customers in this situation or will there have to be a class action suit to recover the enhanced data fees as well as punitive damages for misleading it's customers with the promise of a faster 4G connection that will now never come?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Odubear...

Have you reached out to Sprint Retentions and asked to get a free upgrade? I can understand them stopping the WiMax layout for LTE but they should have offered all 4G WiMax customers a free (or subsidized if you want to wait for the iPhone5) upgrade for an LTE device.

Sprint needs every customer they can get and should be able to do that for you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep, that's Sprint for ya!

Highlighted
Journeyman

someoneTookMyName wrote:

@Odubear...

Have you reached out to Sprint Retentions and asked to get a free upgrade? I can understand them stopping the WiMax layout for LTE but they should have offered all 4G WiMax customers a free (or subsidized if you want to wait for the iPhone5) upgrade for an LTE device.

Sprint needs every customer they can get and should be able to do that for you.

Yep, I have been saying this too, I even made a post about it. Sprint, you seriously owe your WiMAX phone owners, make it right!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, got a email saying my post was rejected. Why? The truth and TOO MUCH company info posted to explain Sprints stand on Wimax. All one has to do to figure out why customers are being charged activation fees, why it continued to sell Wimax phones in non-wimax markets knowing it was NEVER going to turn up one Wimax site in those areas or within 100 miles of one, and how having sub'ing the apple phone ended up costing non-iphone users more money. But, that's ok.. there are many more sites you don't control.

And GForce-1, Sprint feels they owe it's customers nothing. They knew they were deploying LTE so why did it take them so long to pull it's WiMax phones from non-WiMax markets? Greed. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, if the mods want to pull/reject this post, be my guest. You can find the same info on DSLReports anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, its obvious that nobody is going to do anything to help any of us. I'm stuck on my phone that gets 600+ ms ping times and barely pulls down 100 kb/sec. I was curious how much data I was using due to the HORRIBLE network performance, I used 80mb last month. When I used to live in Phoenix and had decent EVDO coverage, I was using 4-6gb per month. I guess it behooves Sprint to ignore customers like us. The NOW network. LOL.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't be so hard on making a mistake Kurgan7.. You can always see if sprint will give you a airvana (free) to boost your signal in your house..   But you got one thing right, they won't/can't help the customers who got sucked into the WiMAX hype, got a phone, paid the EXTRA fee's for a market that not only didn't have WiMax but was never going to get it. That's the said thing. Sprint just will not be up front with it's customers. Something that chased off the MAJORITY of it's nextel customers to Big Red and Big Blue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You pay extra for a smartphone, not for 4g. Stop crying

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.