ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I moved outside of coverage area, and now find out my unlimited roaming is limited.

Journeyman

I moved outside of coverage area, and now find out my unlimited roaming is limited.

I really am a lost cause with cell phone companies. After almost getting into a lawsuit with Verizon over them messing over my contract, I was able to break free. I came to Sprint and told them my Verizon story, to which they assured me that they would be the best in customer service. I got a plan that had unlimited mobile to mobile, 1500 land line minutes, and unlimited text, data, and roaming. I moved from Idaho to Virginia and have found that where I live has no Sprint connection. I am constantly on "extended" with my iPhone. I called the customaer service and they suggested the Air Rave at no extra cost. It would be nice, but we can't even get internet in our area (nothing, not even a verizon hotspot). They said we could get out of our contract without early termination. I said I would think about it. Considering that Verizon is the only other option (and I refuse to go back to them) and I have had good service from Sprint so far I chose to have us stay with Sprint - after all, I can handle some spotty service. We renewed our contract (no one said anything about issues with us renewing), and I found out that when talking on roaming, it counts as land lines, so I no longer have unlimited mobile to mobile (which I was ok with). The other day, though (exactly a month into my renewal) I receive a letter saying I was surpasing my unlimited roaming data use (which is really 300 MB). They say that if I don't correct my usage my contract will be terminated. Horrified, I called Sprint. R.J. in Missouri said "I see here you have unlimited roaming. It must be a mistake. Just ignore it." I told him I am skeptical because of my previous experience with Verizon and asked him to email me Sprint's verification to ignore the letter. He said he would just put it in the notes. I requested again to send me an email. He said he would. I was still skeptical (and he never sent me an email), so I did some research. Turns out that I am now paying for the plan stated above ($130/month), but it really is only 800 min. talk, 300 MB data (since going over that while roaming will terminate my service). I have also found that many customers have been told to ignore the letter, just to get disconnected later. Apparently Sprint does not want anyone on it's network that uses over 50% of it's phone time on roaming, because it costs them money. I am completely fine with that mind set (although it peeves me off that my "unlimited" roaming data is really only 300 MB), but now I am worried with this contract renewall that they will try and suck me dry of money like Verizon tried. How can I peacefully cut ties with Sprint without incurring fees? I have heard of people they could get out without early termination, but then be charged it anyways and sent to collections. Can I even trust what the Sprint Customer Representatives are telling me?

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: I moved outside of coverage area, and now find out my unlimited roaming is limited.

Easiest way to cut ties without paying ETF is to download your hearts content out while on roaming.  They will shut your phone off without you having to pay the ETF.

Journeyman

Re: I moved outside of coverage area, and now find out my unlimited roaming is limited.

Yes.  Don't you know that their lack of coverage is YOUR fault?  Just keep doing what you are doing and if it really bugs them, they'll let you out for free.

Master

You have unlimited data on the device and we do not charge a fee for roaming.  There is a limit to off network data of 300 Mb per month  If you continuously go over this limit you will get a letter as you mentioned.   All minutes while roaming count against your 1500.  If the data usage continues Sprint will terminate the service. There would be no ETF

Journeyman

I have been on the phone with Sprint. They have told me that come the beginning of next month I will no longer have a contract with them, I will not be paying any ETF, or other fees, and we will be retaining the phones. We have questioned if the no fee promise is real, but they keep reassuring us that it will happen. Is this too good to be true? I worry that when that day comes that they will either demand the phones, charge an ETF, or restocking fee or something. It is sad to leave Sprint since they have been good to us, but I understand the reason and am accepting of that. I just really don't want to be surprised with any fees that we are being reassured we won't pay. Is there anyway to get a garutee from Sprint that their word is their bond?

Sprint Employee

Please send me a private message, I can verify that this is correct, you may also be able to see the service agreement details in the My Sprint section of this website.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I am wuite new to the forum. How do I send you a private message?

Sprint Employee

Please click my icon, then send private message on the right.

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.