cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an nationwide outage?

Highlighted
Journeyman

For two days I have been unable to make or receive calls/text or use internet. I live in zip 95589 - Shelter Cove which Sprint shows as no coverage at all. Apparently they are unaware that although constantly in roaming mode (Verizon tower), service is fully functional here. In fact I have better service than most with local plans. With unlimited roaming on my plan, that is not an issue.

Since mid morining yesterday, my phone shows "awaiting data refresh" and as stated above all calls "fail" and texts report "network error code 3".  Thing is my roommate is on MetroPCS, company visiting from out of town are on Verizon (Verizon tower is within a mile) and friends on US Cellular are also experiencing the same issues. 

What's going on? It appears people all over the U.S. are having problems.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Master

Yes, at Sprint.com/coverage the map does show that you are located in roaming which means you're on another carrier.  You must be in actual Sprint coverage however to fix the error message you keep getting.  Your phone needs to be refreshed.  If you can get to Sprint coverage we can fix this problem pretty easily and then you can continue to have service when roaming.

Regarding unlimited roaming...I am not trying to be confusing or cause a problem, just want to be accurate and precise so as to help you or anyone else reading this not incure unnecessary or avoidable charges for roaming.  Our terms & conditions located here: http://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml?ECID=vanity:termsandconditions explain that the maximum limit for voice service while roaming is 800 minutes and the limit for data usage is 300 megabytes.  It is listed about halfway down under the section: Off-network Roaming

I hope this helps clear up your question and if you want to private message me with your phone number, I will do a refresh on your device so when you're in Sprint coverage again, your phone will resume service.

Highlighted
Wizard

Ok let me get this straight.

Sprint sells a phone and contract to a customer that is in a non Sprint covered area but has a store there and then the customer is penalized for roaming when the store, customer and service area are all located outside of Sprints network.

This seems like VERY bad business practice to me. Is Sprints network does not extend to these areas yet they place a store there in order to gain customers in said area then this would be a bait and switch scheme which is highly illegal.

I can just about guarantee also that the rep that sold the phone\contract neglected to mention this at the POS.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy my Sprint service and generally don't have any issues but reading things like this makes you wonder the future of the company.

Highlighted
Master

If you go to www.sprint.com/storelocator - and put in the zipcode 95589, there are no Sprint Service & Repair Centers nor Retail Stores within 50 miles.  I think you have the senario incorrect.  Also, we do have a coverage map available in every Sprint store.  Even when I activate a customer, if the address I put in is outside our coverage area, I have a huge warning popup box telling me to inform the customer.  Also, if a customer chooses a 4G device, and 4G is not available in their market, I get the popup box warning that there is no 4G there as well.  If you shop for a phone at Sprint.com yourself and put in a non-Sprint area zipcode, you will get the same warning message.   There also is a 30 day money back guarantee so that if you were sold a phone that doesn't work where you live, you have a whole month to cancel the contract and return the device and get your money back. 

Master

ALynch40 wrote:

Ok let me get this straight.

Sprint sells a phone and contract to a customer that is in a non Sprint covered area but has a store there and then the customer is penalized for roaming when the store, customer and service area are all located outside of Sprints network.

This seems like VERY bad business practice to me. Is Sprints network does not extend to these areas yet they place a store there in order to gain customers in said area then this would be a bait and switch scheme which is highly illegal.

I can just about guarantee also that the rep that sold the phone\contract neglected to mention this at the POS.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy my Sprint service and generally don't have any issues but reading things like this makes you wonder the future of the company.

Searching the Sprint store locator for the zip 95589 results in no stores located within 50 miles (either corporate or third party).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay, let me straighten this out... I was completely aware at the time I purchased phone/contract with Sprint that they showed "No Coverage" in my area, not even roaming (just like AT&T whom I switched from and they dont work here). But, I had just had a friend visit who is with Sprint Network, her service was fully functional, including the internet. Not even carriers who do offer service in my area provide internet/MMS service in my location (very rural). I get asked all the time "are you on the internet on your phone, who is your carrier?" So while yes, I am constantly roaming, my plan includes "No Roaming Charges" and "Unlimited Data" and I understand the maximum limit for voice service while roaming is 800 minutes and the limit for data usage is 300 megabytes, I have never gone over or incurred extra charges. I do have a home phone and computer. So, I don't care if Sprint says my phone doesn't work here...it works great here and I was aware that it would prior to purchasing a contract. I had to argue with the girl at the store (which is 90 miles away) because as mentioned above, she kept receiving a popup box warning her to inform me there was no coverage. Thing is I don't just use my phone here, I travel and most of the time I am in a Sprint covered area. Point is it works, maybe I shouldn't tell Sprint, they might want to charge extra!  I do want to make it clear, that I was in no way mislead by a Sprint rep. I just happen to know that they do have coverage here, I consciously made the decision.

There was an issue with the local tower that weekend, there was no carrier service at all for anyone. It was resolved and I am back to having better service in a "No Coverage" area than any of my friends.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.