cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE in Dallas, network coverage in the area in general

Highlighted
Journeyman

LTE in Dallas, network coverage in the area in general

I am a little confused to say the least. When I asked last week at the Sprint store (not the partner one, the corporate one) on Mockingbird in Dallas I was told that the current issues with the network are LTE rollout related and that "guaranteed" I would have LTE on my Galaxy S3 and network on the 15th of July.

As it stands today I had no LTE anywhere in downtown Dallas, let alone in DeSoto (a community south of Downtown) even though I was told I would have LTE there, as well. Even worse, in most of Arlington, southern Dallas, along I-35 towards Fort Worth, in Ft. Worth, at Lake Worth, in Addison, in Keller, and in Plano, TX, I was constantly flipping between domestic roaming and really bad 1x data speed and almost no phone service. "Ok," I thought, "they're working on the towers for LTE, I can deal with that for a day or two".

Well, it's past midnight here now and even if LTE doesn't come up (well, it didn't) on the 15th, it'd be nice to have cell phone coverage again. To add insult to injury the S3 drains battery to the tune of 60%/hour when domestic romaing, even with background uploads and sync services turned off. I guess it's because the radio is going ape trying to find some coverage.

I am seriously wondering if there will be any improvement anytime soon. I have had Sprint for about a year now and in that time I have had bad service in almost any area I work, live, or spend my time off. Being unable to go out for dinner because I am on call and there's no coverage in Lower Greenville, one of the restaurant and bar areas in town, is kind of annoying.

When will coverage in Dallas get to the point where I can drive around town without hearing the roaming "beep" and when will I get LTE in DeSoto (75115) and Dallas proper?

Edit: I should add that we (my partner and I) also have experienced extreme text message delays in the past weeks. A message I sent her last week Friday (and which was shown as delivered on my phone and in Google Voice) arrived on her phone this evening. I frequently wake up and annoy people because my text messages arrive days later in the middle of the night.

57 REPLIES 57
Highlighted
Journeyman

You are not alone in your experience. Hopefully you haven't suffered the hours I have on the phone with Support and in the Stores. Pretty much everyone tows the company line you've been fed. Sprint's actions or lack thereof regarding data and voice QoS over past 6 months is tatamount to theft and deception.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed that still as of Monday morning there is no 4G in downtown.  I live just east near Baylor, and nothing from my 3rd floor balcony. 

Now just got into my office in Addison, and here I got my first "4G" signal on the SIII, but only when I got up to the 6th floor, and the speed is very disappointing so far.  Actually tries to switch to roaming when I run a speedtest.net...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also am in the Dallas Area, and have the exact same isssues that you have. I have 5 phones on my account... All have the same issues:

- Our EVO 3D phones can never pick up WiMax 4G even when the coverage map said I should have it.

- My 3G dataspeeds are terrible, and are unusable most of the time. We resorted to finding a starbucks during the day so we can download our email, despite being shown as "Best" on the coverage map. Most of the time we hardly see 50kbps on 3G.

- We purchased some LTE phones on sprint's assurance that it would solve our problems... then proceeded to tell me they took away our 1 year upgrades, and that we are not eligable for upgrades until next year.... which really pissed me off... but I bit the bullet anyway.

- I did pick up 4G LTE once, and had time enough to get one speed test done on 7/14... and got 2mb down, and 1.5mb up. Decent, but a far cry from the LTE dataspeeds offered by other carriers; shortly after I dropped the signal, and have not been able to pick it up since, no matter my location; (we travel all over the metroplex) despite that I am sitting right in the middle of the LTE coverage map, we can not pick up an LTE signal; We see little flashes of LTE, When we do pick up a signal, as soon as ANY data process runs, such as opening an email, or opening the web browser, speed test etc. we drop back to 3G instantly, and it still is just as terrible and slow as it was before.

- Our delayed SMS and MMS messages continue to be an issue.

- Our call quality is also still an issue, we are still dropping calls all the time, and get the phontom voice mails (phone never rings, never shows a missed call, but all the sudden a voice mail from a few hours before will appear.)

I have opened countless support tickets with sprint, spent hours and hours and hours on the phone with them, and have gotten no where. Just more of the same. They promise to escilate the issues, then promise to follow up with me, and I never hear from them again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Been very sporadic in Richardson, had some great speeds this moring but couldn't stay connected, was running @ 14 down and 11 up, not to bad at all, but then it dropped 30 seconds later and I havent been able to connect long enough to do a speed test since 9 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with everything that everyone is saying. I haven't picked up 4g at all.  I feel like it's all an elaborate lie to get everyone to go out to buy the phones so they could finish the towers.  This feels like it did when I bought the first EVO phone. Started paying that extra $10.00, but never got good 4g coverage.  I feel like "they" Sprint, CEO of Sprint, wanted to say they made their July 15th deadline, by releasing LTE to four major cities, but they left out that little part about only have about 10% of the towers ready in those four cities. If there's a case for a class action law suit, sign me up.  Because they constantly over commit (lie) and under deliver.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in Lake Worth and work in the montgomery plaza area in downtown fort worth and I have seen no LTE signal what so ever. I heard that a friend of a friend had got signal somewhere downtown fort worth, but i have been around most of fort worth and haven't recieved a signal at all. It's really dissapointing since i bought this evo 4g lte. Awesome device i must add but i wish i had lte. I had poor wimax coverage here in lake worth, but LTE had a better coverage. It's sad to say that Wimax has better coverage than LTE at the moment. I've been waiting and that just fustrates me. All this complaining won't fix it but it helps though that other people are with you. Still waiting.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thus far LTE in Fort Worth is a crock.  I saw it for a little while midday Friday (13 July) so I thought Sprint was actually setting up and configuring their network early so they'd be ready to turn it up on schedule on Sunday.  I saw 4G with decent speeds (but slower than my Verizon Razr work phone) around Will Rogers and toward downtown on I30, and it was gone by evening. 

I haven't seen a 4G connection since, though I've seen the 4G indicator once or twice (and connections failed.)  3G connections have varied from acceptable (500k down by 500k-700k up) to worthless (sub 100k) and I'm very disappointed.  I called support today and they fed me a stupid line about how "towers are being upgraded one at a time" and expected me to buy it.  Something went wrong in their testing on Friday, they're not admitting there's an issue and are putting us off. 

I upgraded my Evo to an Evo LTE because it was getting kinda long in the tooth, I wanted ICS and I wanted faster network connections away from wifi.  I'm thinking that StraightTalk HSPA+ and a Nexus might have been a better investment. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in Mckinney, work n downtown Dallas.. I bought a EVO LTE last night to replace my EVO 4G. No LTE service in either location. I figured Mckinney might be spotty but they said they went live in Dallas and I'm in Dallas as I 'm typing this. I'm not even going to bother calling service. It will be the usual baloney of are you in a building, you can't get 4g unless you are standing outside waving your arms and chanting a mantra. Do what I'm going to do, return your phone. I have my original evo so I'll get it re-activated. If they get it working and everyone is saying it's working, I'll revisit them. In the meantime, I'm not going to be scammed again..

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm finally starting to see LTE connections in 76107 from time to time.  So far no spectacular performance, but 1.6m down by 1.2m up with "unlimited" data and my corporate discount will do, I'm not thinking of calling StraightTalk at the moment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Took my EVO into a Sprint store this afternoon, and they had four demo phones running on LTE just fine but mine wouldn't pick up anything.  Turns out my phone has a bad LTE radio in it and has to be replaced, possible bad batch of EVO's out there if you are picking up and dropping within a couple seconds which is what mine was doing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

From my experience the LTE coverage is essentially non-existent in the Plano/Frisco area. Today when I drove from Frisco to south east Plano my SGS3 picked up the LTE network twice and only for a few seconds. To say this has been spotty is an overstatement.

You might get a signal if all the planets align while facing west and sacrificing a baby calf but other than that good luck.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.