Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

Just thought I'd start a running list of the 4G markets, for quick reference and to consolidate both the Clearwire and Sprint 4G announcements.

(* indicates this city is live on either Clear, Sprint 4G or both)

Baltimore, MD*

Washington D.C. (2010)

Philadelphia, PA*

Boston, MA (2010)

New York, NY (2010)

Portland, OR*

Salem, OR*

Bellingham, WA*

Seattle, WA  (Dec. 2009)

Tacoma, WA  (Dec. 2009)

San Fransico, CA (2010)

Boise, ID*

Las Vegas, NV*

Atlanta, GA*

Millegeville, GA*

Charlotte, NC*

Raleigh, NC*

Durham NC*

Chapel Hill NC*

Cary NC*

Greensboro, NC*

Winston-Salem, NC*

High Point NC*

Chicago, IL*

Dallas/Ft.Worth TX*

Abilene TX*

Amarillo, TX*

Austin, TX*

Corpus Christi, TX*

Houston, TX (2010)

Killeen-Temple, TX*

Lubbock, TX*

Midland-Odessa, TX*

San Antonio,TX*

Waco, TX*

Wichita Falls, TX*

Honolulu, HI  (Dec. 2009)

Maui, HI  (Dec. 2009)

I'll edit and update this post as more markets are announced and launched.

Message was edited by: MDG - noted Boise and Bellingham, WA went live

Message was edited by: MDG - noted Clearwire went live with Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas

Message was edited by: MDG - Salem, OR & Milledgeville, GA went live on Sprint. Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas now live on Sprint as well.

Message was edited by: MDG to provide updates to remaining 2009 launch dates:  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Clearwire-and-Sprint-to-bw-4135916230.html?x=0&.v=1                    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Clearwire-Comcast-and-Sprint-bw-2465830078.html?x=0&.v=1

Message was edited by: MDG noted Sprint 4G now live in Philadelphia.

Message was edited by: MDG  noted Charlotte, N.C.; Greensboro, N.C.; Raleigh, N.C.; Chicago and Dallas-Fort Worth went live on Sprint 4G

Message was edited by: MDG noted Sprint 4G now live in San Antonio & Austin TX

145 REPLIES 145
Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

That sounds like a network problem.  It's quite possible that they could be doing some work on a tower that you connect to and that the issue will resolve itself (like it did previously), However, if it has been acting this way for more than a few days now, with no improvement, I would call customer care and request to put in a network trouble ticket. That way, someone can check to see if they are working on that tower, or send someone out to investigate.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think I'm kind of confused about the Sprint/Clear relationship.  Does the Sprint 4G card "roam" on Clear service or is that only available to Clear customers?

Thanks!

Highlighted

mercslexus2000 wrote:

I think I'm kind of confused about the Sprint/Clear relationship.  Does the Sprint 4G card "roam" on Clear service or is that only available to Clear customers?

Thanks!

Ok...I believe you are referring to that Sprint 3G/4G card?  If so, this is how it works...

Anywhere your phone has a signal, your card will work...period.  And that's 3G because it is using Sprint's CDMA network (hopefully running on EVDOrevA).  Now, that same card can also go connect to the internet via WiMAX (i.e., the "4G" network that Sprint is talking about).

So, what does that mean?  Well, as you may or may not be aware, Sprint has decided to let the company called Clearwire build out the WiMAX network.  Since Sprint owns 51% of the company, Sprint gets to market that WiMAX network as their own "brand" and Sprint calls it the "Sprint 4G network".  So, in other words, when you're in an area where the card can get a signal from Clearwire's 4G network, your card will work on it seamlessly.

To answer your question - does the card "roam"? - the answer is essentially no.  The card, when in 4G mode, will simply operate on Clearwire's 4G WiMAX network.  Since you're paying Sprint for the service, you're paying Sprint who then pays Clearwire.  In the end, it's a wash.

To sum up, the 4G card can switch from Sprint's 3G CDMA network to Clearwire's 4G WiMAX network.  However, the card is designed (I think) to seek out the Clearwire 4G network first, and only use the Sprint 3G network where Clearwire's WiMAX network is not available.

Hopefully, that answered your question.  If you still have questions, let me know.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Perhaps someone reading this forum will know the answer.  I live in Washington DC.  Because I work in Annapolis, which is part of the Baltimore 4G area, and our son lives in Philadelphia, also a 4G area, we changed over to the 3G/4G plan using a U300 so we could get the 4G speeds in those areas, and when it comes to DC later this year.  We are already seeing the 4G signal in DC, usually quite strong, and can even briefly connect.  However, it seems that whenever the browser sends a request to the network, the signal cuts out.  Is this a network function, to keep users off until the system actually launches, or is it perhaps a configuration issue on the modem?  Thanks for any thoughts!

Highlighted
Journeyman

ya does anyone know anything about what the coverage will be like for Ohio once the Evo 4G comes out. I feel like the coverage should be expanded majorly once the Evo 4G comes out of they want it to sell well, because there will be people like me in cities like Toledo, Ohio wanting to get this and they may not have the 4G coverage, which is one of the coolest things about this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Four months into 2010, and all I have seen from Sprint regarding 4G is 2 new towers going in near the Port of Oakland/SF-Oakland Bay Bridge project. It does not say if they are 4G towers or not. Additionally, I have got in the Sprint Premier Connections that San Francisco is getting a boost in 3G service for better connections, more coverage, and faster speed. It again, did not mention 4G in the slightest.

Personally I think that 4G is not coming to SF this summer, and will not come till the end of the year.

Which is why I would like the EVO, and plan to buy it off-contract when it launches, test it out, sell it, and switch to T-Mobile when they launch HSPA+ in SF in July.

I like phones, but in all honesty, its the network speed I care about more then connecting 8 wifi devices. What good is that if its limited to 3G at 2.3mbps, when T-Mobile can do 12-21mbps?

Highlighted
Journeyman

For god sakes Sprint, throw some towers west of Austin/San Antonio!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in San Diego and just got back from Seattle, and while I was there I got on a 4G network and will have to say "YES" bigtime difference in speeds while on it, but the battery life gets the lifeforce sucked out of it. Just to make sure I went back and forth between the two (3G,4G), and 4G does eat up battery life at least on my EVO, does anybody else experience 4G network and battery life problems? And yes Sprint, SoCal needs 4G!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Northwest Arkansas or Bentonville, AR needs 4G. Worlds largest retailer is there and they bring in all sorts of users.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I noticed my data connection dropping off and on rapidly this morning.  Just to test I turned on 4G and I'm getting a 4G connection now!  I'm in Orange County - dunno if it's part of the Los Angeles rollout or just on the edge of signal for the last Central California coverage rollout but I've got 4G!!  YAY!  Not paying $10 a month for nothing anymore! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Message was edited by: The Sprint Nazis

Highlighted
Journeyman

It says San Francisco is on the list for a 4G roll out, but I'm not holding my breath. Really hope to have it in the city, though. Used 4G on my EVO up in Seattle and was mighty impressed.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.