cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live on Long Island, NY (35 miles from the NYC border), a HUGE market and still can't access 4G.

This is crazy.

Wizard

On your list on page 5 you list Sarasota/bradenton Florida where i live.I looked on the map and it shows clear will be coming in this area but how are we sure that it will be sprint also?

Wizard

nmherron

how do you tell there are new towers? i read there map but i can't see anything but it showing tthat sometime down the road clearwire will be in my area Bradenton Florida which you listed on the other page.

My question is how do you read that it will be sprint coverage? it shows clearwire coverage which they will sell 4g but how do we know sprint will be on it? i really would like to know

Wizard

nmherron

how do you tell  there are new towers? i read there map but i can't see anything but it  showing tthat sometime down the road clearwire will be in my area  Bradenton Florida which you listed on the other page.

My  question is how do you read that it will be sprint coverage? it shows  clearwire coverage which they will sell 4g but how do we know sprint  will be on it? i really would like to know

Wizard

In Walnut Creek (east of San Francisco), 4G has been available since January.  However, I my home was right on the edge of the signal.  The strength would fluctuate between poor and fair, and I averaged around 2.5mbps download speed.  However, I entered my address on Friday, and the map showed that most of my town was covered.

My signal now fluctuates between fair and good.  My download speed has been average around 5mbps and .97 mbps upload speed.

Downtown where the signal is the strongest, I'm averaging nearly 8mbps download speeds.  As long as the coverage remains, I'm sticking with spring.

Journeyman

All Clearwire WIMAX works with Sprint... I have successfully tested some of the new areas where there is new non-full area services and it works great...  The other night, I drove through Orangeberg, SC and found the 4G to be extremely fast ( I turned on Sprint TV and the video was extremely clean without any hesitation)... I also got signals in Brunswick, GA and Savannah, GA, both newly activated markets in their downtown areas. 

I wish Sprint would show these new areas on their 4G maps....

Journeyman

JETER2711 wrote:

On your list on page 5 you list Sarasota/bradenton Florida where i live.I looked on the map and it shows clear will be coming in this area but how are we sure that it will be sprint also?

Actually, the service is on now, it's not future service.  If you go  to Clear's coverage map and zoom in on the Bradenton/Sarasota Metro  area, it shows in light green where they currently have service.  Clear  uses gray hash marks to denote future service (which they almost never  show in advance).  You can even uncheck the Future Service and see that  the green coverage area remains.

And as DOUGHENNING mentions above, Sprint 4G users can  use Clear/Clearwire's Wimax services.  In fact, Sprint and Clear pool  their spectrum licenses together and use the network together.  Also,  Sprint owns 52% of Clearwire and has voting control of the company.  I  assure you, you can go to the green coverage areas of South Bradenton  and Sarasota and use a Sprint 4G Wimax device right now.  Go for it!

Journeyman

Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

DOUGHENNING wrote:

All Clearwire WIMAX works with Sprint... I have successfully tested some of the new areas where there is new non-full area services and it works great...  The other night, I drove through Orangeberg, SC and found the 4G to be extremely fast ( I turned on Sprint TV and the video was extremely clean without any hesitation)... I also got signals in Brunswick, GA and Savannah, GA, both newly activated markets in their downtown areas. 

I wish Sprint would show these new areas on their 4G maps....

I am also amazed that Sprint is not showing these on their coverage maps, yet.  I have been to about a dozen of these new unannounced service areas and all had good functioning 4G signals, exactly where the Clear Map shows coverage.  Sprint should be heralding these new upates.  There are so many people disenchanted that the 4G rollout is going too slow.  Most of the folks in the new service area have no idea that they now have 4G service!

I have got into arguments with people who say they do not have Sprint 4G coverage in their city, and I tell them they do.  Then they go to the Sprint Coverage Map to prove me wrong.  Then I go to the Clear Coverage Map and prove I'm right.  Then they try to tell me Clear coverage doesn't necessarily work for Sprint customers.  Then I tell them they are wrong and they need to turn on their 4G antenna.  Then they do and start apologizing and ride off into the sunset playing with their devices at broadband speeds.  It's a never ending battle.  Sprint needs to be out telling the world, and not leaving it to some mobile geek in rural New Mexico to do the blabbing.

Two minor hiccups I have observed so far...

In one small rural town, I had only a 1.5mb maximum download and 1.5 mb upload speed, no matter how good of a signal I had.  In fact it was hardly faster than the 3G service in that town.  I think that their backhaul was limited at the tower location, is my guess.  So if the internet to the tower is only 1.5mb it doesn't matter how fast the signal eminating from the tower is.

The other issue I had, is the Downtown Albuquerque tower.  In the past 30 days it's been active, I cannot connect to it.  It tries to obtain an IP address, then dumps me.  Over and over again.  All the other New Mexico towers work fine, including the other tower in Albuquerque.  I reported it to Clear, but they said they had no service in Albuquerque.  I sent the rep to the Clear website, and he was shocked to see coverage.  He said he couldn't open a ticket because it didn't have a tower number in their system yet.  LOL

I love being ahead of the curve!!!

Additionally, it is cool to see people are actually using this data I have been spending hours collecting and putting out there.  I'm glad you were able to enjoy broadband speeds in the new Sprint 4G city of Orangeburg!

Journeyman

DICKIE14 wrote:

I live on Long Island, NY (35 miles from the NYC border), a HUGE market and still can't access 4G.

This is crazy.

This is one of the most amazing oversights for Sprint and Clear.  They really need to get on it on Long Island and in the Phoenix metro area.  These have to be the most populated areas that are being systematically overlooked.

Journeyman

Long Island has tough zoning and it was tough to get regular cell service going there years ago...   Verizon LTE was buit out using existing Verizon Towers.. I think WIMAX needs new towers so they couldn't piggyback on Sprint but who knows????    Don't know why AZ has been tough for Clear to build out????

Wizard

When i put my Address in here in Bradenton Florida it comes up saying that there is service in this area but they are not selling it yet.And it does not show towers in the area like it does for my sons area in noth tampa.

As said i have tried 4g and i get no signal it just says on there map.It says when i put my address in our network covers this area but we arent selling coverage just yet.I have tried all over my zip no service and no towers

CLEAR service plans aren’t available at this location.

We  are working to enhance and expand our 4G network in this area to offer a  greater level of service to more people. Sign up for the CLEAR Insider and we’ll let you know the moment CLEAR service becomes available for purchase in this area

Wizard

I would like to know where the towers are as on the map it shows none in  my 34207 zip code when i put that in tell me what you see when you put  in 34207 thanks.

and again when i turn on winmax on my EVO in zip code 34207 and my address is in green i get no 4g service.It looks but does not find.

By looking at other cities if they have best clear coverage then you see towers otherwise you do not see towers.Hence there are no towers in bradenton Sarasota while if you look in Orlando they got towers like all over the city.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.