cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Metro-PCS) can-Why can't Sprint?

Patron

(Metro-PCS) can-Why can't Sprint?

Why is it that Metro PCS can do what is right and fair but Sprint apparently cannot, will not, or simply does not give a flying hoot? On the Metro-PCS website, they offer different rates for different phone capabilities! That is, if you buy a 3g phone you will pay a rate for 3g phones; whether it is a smartphone or not. If you buy a 4g LTE capable phone, you will pay a different monthly rate for 4g LTE phones; whether it is a smartphone or not. It seems to make all the sense in the world to let people pay for what they use.

At Sprint, you will pay a $10 TAX on any smartphone and any plan REGARDLESS of the phone's capabilities. To be clear, a 3g phone user will pay the same as a 4g phone user as long as the phone is a smartphone. So how does Sprint justify this? Well they try to distinguish themselves from carriers like Metro by saying Sprint is more reliable and provides better coverage, which is nonsense. Metro currently offers 4g LTE coverage in more areas than does Sprint. And  a phone will work when it does and won't when it won't. There is no ABSOLUTE perfect coverage. Once again, Sprint proves it is unwilling to even make par with other competitors. FAIL.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: (Metro-PCS) can-Why can't Sprint?

im sure you can snag up a pre paid phone through just about any carrier and do the exact same thing..plus their coverage is pretty shoddy. i know they have quite a few dead zones once you start hitting the further up northern cali areas

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Patron

Yeah. I think it's fair to say that every carrier has gray areas where coverage is questionable. I've dropped plenty of calls on my Sprint Evo and Iphone. Always in the same general area (on a highway). The real point of my discussion was just to highlight how if Metro could do it it seems Sprint could if it wanted to. Of course the operative word is "want." For whatever reason, Sprint does not want to. My guess is to defray operating costs and let it trickle down to the end user; us as consumers in this case. That's fine. But Metro will continue to grow while Sprint digs what I call it's own grave.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

as many options as sprint has..i dont see them adding yet more options...not to mention with metro you dont have to have a contract..with sprint and the other carriers you do.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

When Sprint first rolled out 4G phones, the extra $10 was only for 4G devices. Of course, back then, it was all WiMax, which has always had horrible coverage. So here in Springfield, MO, anyone wanting the latest and greatest HTC EVO 4G, mainly for its other capabilities, still had to pay the upcharge, even though we did not have 4G coverage. Fast forward a couple years, and Sprint started upcharging all smartphones. My best guess is that this was a move to backpedal a bit to make 4G device owners feel a little less ripped off. It's like saying "Look. It's not a rip off. We charge this for 3G smartphones also."

It was a bad move on Sprint's part. Better would have been just raising the base price of the data plans and ditching the upcharge. It just seeds discontent among their customers.

Highlighted
Wizard

Last time I checked, all the major post-paid carriers had smartphone upcharges, taxes as you call them, and Sprint's was the lowest. Niche carriers and pre-paid carriers sometimes do not add such charges, but roll costs into their models using other methods. Niche and pre-paid carriers are often behind the times when it comes to devices as well. Take a look at the devices offered by Metro, look at their coverage, and decide for yourself which is the better value. Nothing new to see here. Move along.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.