cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 4G Tower active in Lexington, Kentucky!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

lexingtonky062511.jpg

New 4G tower went active in Lexington, Kentucky this week.  This was one of the largest markets in the U.S. that Sprint had no 4G/WiMax coverage.  Just one tower and it covers about 70% of the metro area with some coverage.  Turn on your 4G antennas, scan for service and start surfin'!

Enjoy this one tower for awhile.  It will probably be awhile before tower #2 arrives.  Now the folks in Reno, Nevada and Dayton, Ohio are envious.  These are now the largest U.S. cities without any Sprint 4G service.  (Yes, I know Phoenix and San Diego virtually have no service).

Please note that with only one tower coverage, you are not likely to get service in a building unless you are near the center of the coverage area.  The first time you try service, confirm you are in the coverage area and then go outside to try to connect.  Happy surfin'!

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

We now have a 4G tower in Glasgow Too! The only odd thing about it is the 4g site is not on the sprint tower, but on a tower on the other side of town...so theoredicly you could have 4g coverage in a few areas with no sprint signal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There's a lot of places like that in the Upper Midwest where they have no Sprint service for 100's of miles, but now have a 4G tower.  The reason is in order for Sprint/Clearwire to maintain their 2.5Ghz spectrum licenses with the FCC, they have to have one tower of service in every CMA (Cellular Market Area) in the country.  This is good news for a lot of rural users.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does clear test the 4g radius?? I have traveled all through this area and get 1 bar of 4G at best, and goes in and out!! Not useful 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wasn't able to connect to it today in areas the map shows it should be active.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: New 4G Tower active in Lexington, Kentucky!!!

ERMURI2 wrote:

Does clear test the 4g radius?? I have traveled all through this area and get 1 bar of 4G at best, and goes in and out!! Not useful 4G

No.  They do a spot test from the tower itself to create the maps.  It creates much more reliable information for maps than what everyone else does.

I find that I can surf with about 3 to 4MB download speeds with only one bar of 4G signal here in New Mexico.  It's the upload the significantly gets bad with less than two bars.  Because your device does not broadcast back to the tower with as much power and it just barely gets your device signal on 1 bar of WiMax.

I usually get a usable download speed with zero bars (around 1 to 1.5 MB).  But upload will be less than 100k, or not at all.  So if you are just browsing websites or streaming audio (and maybe lower def video), 1 bar of 4G service will work pretty well.  The problem with zero bars is if you move the device at all, of if you are driving, you are likely to get dropped.  Just freeze! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

pjkirkwood wrote:

I wasn't able to connect to it today in areas the map shows it should be active.

A few notes about Sprint 4G service...

1. You must have 4G antenna on and click "Scan for Service" and wait until it obtains an IP address.
  2. Service does not work well in buildings.  If you are more than 1 mile from the tower, you will likely not get service inside.
  3. Service does not pentrate metal (like what cars are made of).  In a car, you will not likely get good service (especially toward the edge of coverage) if your device is low, near the floor or on a seat.
  4. It's hard to get good coverage in dense foliage.

I know these are all fatal issues for usage.  But most of them are mitigated by having many towers in urban areas.  Since Lexington only has one tower, this makes it a challenge for now.

I know that Lexington service is now active.  I have read in several boards/blogs where people have connected.  ERMURI2 mentions above that he connected.  Also, someone has uploaded signal info to sensorly.com.  See below.

lexingtonsensorly062211.jpgClick on Image to Enlarge

Perhaps the signal was temporarily down when you were trying?

The next time you try the service, drive as close to the center of the service area as you can get.  Step out of your car (or hold your device higher than the dashboard inside the car).  Turn on your 4G antenna and scan for service.  You should find it and have a good signal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That was me. I will upload more to sensorly over the next few days.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ERMURI2 wrote:

That was me. I will upload more to sensorly over the next few days.

Cool!  I'm always uploading Sprint 4G data to Sensorly wherever I go.  Thanks for the contribution!  I also use the RootMetrics app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the information but I did try it outside but maybe I wasn't close enought to the source.  I was able to connect to 4g in bowling green over the weekend.  Maybe it was just unavailable when I tried.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been uploading data to Sensorly..... Anyone else in Lexington please do so also, I can't go everywhere..haha

Highlighted
Journeyman

You probably have it all covered. I've been all over the east side (in and outside new circle) and south side (just outside new circle) and not been able to get connected yet.  I guess I need to make a trip to Tolly Ho for lunch and try it there.  A few times at New Circle and Nicholasville Rd my phone has said, "Connecting to Sprint" but an IP address was never obtained. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.