cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextel great signal/sprint lousy signal

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nextel great signal/sprint lousy signal

Why is that nextel had such awsome signal and sprint phased it out and moved everyone to sprint service. I can stand to where I am looking at the Nextel tower and have signal with sprint. When will sprint get off their ass and put an antenna on a nextel tower.  I hate sitting in a room or outside and keep hearing my phone searching for siganl and everyone around me with verizon has full signal inside or outside.   been with nextel/sprint for 12 yrs  but verizon is looking good

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Master

Re: Nextel great signal/sprint lousy signal

Depending on your area and the location of the antennas the quality between a Sprint Signal and and Iden signal can vary   We are ending the iden service next summer until then we have to keep the Iden towers up and running.  Once the iden service ends these towers can be converted over to  CDMA if needed.  I wish it was as simple as putting a new antenna on the tower.  We have to put in a lot of other equipment as well.  We are currently upgrading the CDMA towers to network vision. I certainly understand your frustration with the change in signal .

Highlighted
Master

The main difference is going to be the frequencies the Sprint PCS signal and Nextel iDEN signal use. However this will change once the iDEN shutdown is completed, and is starting in some areas where it can.

With the shutdown of iDEN and the rollout of Network Vision, the new equipment supports broadcasting a Sprint signal on the same 800mhz frequency that iDEN used before. So the new rollout will be able to have both frequencies broadcast for Sptint devices to use. Most Sprint phones released in the last few years are able to use both the current 1900mhz and the new 800mhz frequencies. Lower frequencies will travel further distances. Since our tower spacing is setup for a 1900mhz signal, overlaying 800mhz should fill in gaps and extend coverage slightly further across the entire network nationwide.

Verizon uses a lower 850mhz frequency which allows for better signal penetration. Sprint's 800mhz frequency will allow for similar or slightly better signal propogation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As with what everyone else says, we get tired of hearing th towers are being updated or it s a work in progress. When you live in a non metropolitan area you get on the back burner for priority list for the towers. I loved nextel whenit was just nextel. The only thing that has kept me with sprint was the price. But Im tired of getting nothing for something. I am in the fire service and having signal is important.

As for sprints 800mhz frenquency will allow for similar or better signal, it may be several years before that gets switched over in north florida. so why not go to verizon that already has better siganl penetration.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.