cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G in Denver on Galaxy S3

Go to solution
Journeyman

No 4G in Denver on Galaxy S3

I just received my Galaxy S3 and am finding that it does not get 4G in Denver. I know we don't have LTE yet, but I asked very specifically about this and was told clearly that the S3 would be able to use non-LTE 4G in Denver and that I would not have to wait for LTE. I'm really starting to think this is completely wrong and that I'm stuck having to wait forever to get LTE in Denver if I want 4G.

Does anyone here know the truth here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: No 4G in Denver on Galaxy S3

So, after talking to customer technical support, I'll answer my own question. The online customer service group were either lying or just wildly wrong, but the Galaxy S3 most definitely is LTE-only for 4G. I was told twice, including by a supervisor, that it was capable of LTE and WiMax, so I didn't have to worry. Now that I've paid an early termination fee to Verizon to switch, Sprint is just saying, "Oh, sorry about that. Our bad."  I'm seriously pissed off about this.

Master

There are no Phones being made that are both wi max and LTE capable   There is one mobile hotspot does have both LTE and WiMax.    For a phone to do both would require that it have hardware to handle the wimax signal which is different that the LTE .  I am sorry some one gave incorrect information to you I certainly understand your feelings about this situation.

Journeyman

Yep, and that's exactly what I thought, which is why I asked Sprint to make sure. They told me very plainly not to worry, that this phone could do both. And then even though they're "sorry", they aren't doing squat for me. I'm tempted to go back to Verizon. They're expensive, but they've never done anything this crappy to me and they actually have LTE....I think.

Journeyman

Sorry to hear about your mis-information.  I can vouch for the fact that nowhere on Samsung's site note Sprint's site does it say anything about WiMax.  Also there isn't a single review I've seen that would imply this.

I would rather want to know when Sprint will be upgrading the 3G network in Denver which is AWFUL! and consistantly runs at less than 100kbs d/l

Journeyman

Yeah, I hate to say it, but its been a widly known fact that all phones being released from sprint will no longer support the wimax network and are coming out for the LTE network being deployed.  I find it really hard to believe that even a moron at Sprint would advise this, especially from someone who calls in frequently.  They are not even that stupid... and if you did a little research like looking at the site, you would have noticed it clearly states 4G LTE and nowhere was wimax mentioned. 

Journeyman

Your contention is that I'm making this up? You, sir, are a sooper genius! And you apparently completely fail at reading comprehension. I knew that all the documentation mentioned LTE only and I knew that the Denver area did not have LTE yet. That is why I asked in the first place because based on what I was reading I would not get 4G in Denver for years to come on that phone. And despite your disbelief, I was assured more than once by them that this phone could do both and that I would get 4G. After being told by multiple people, one of which was a supervisor, that this phone could do both, I assumed that there must be something different about the Sprint variant of the phone. Dumb assumption, of course, but my mistake was in thinking they knew this stuff.

Journeyman

Was told the exact same thing in Fort Worth, TX.  Mine won't even connect to their "alleged" 4G.  I get a VERY unreliable 3G only.  Not that It really matters, Ghent battery life is so pathetic on this phone I couldn't use it long if it did work.  All this and Sprint will NOT allow me to go back to my old plan.  I was a fool for switching.  Woulda coulda shoulda!

Journeyman

My phone auto corrected me.  I said "alleged" 4G Lte.

Journeyman

Used almost 10% battery life posting these comments.  Anyone thinking of switching should think long and hard. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a very similar issue, my wife and I switched from T-Mobile to Sprint and while we were phone shopping at a Sprint Store I asked if the Evo 4G LTE would also get WiMax 4G and I was told that all of Sprints LTE Phones will work on WiMax.  As always I do my research before making purchases so I went home looked up reviews and specs and found that the store rep was wrong.  We went back a few days later to make the switch and I called the rep out on it and he told me I was wrong, even had his manager confirm that all Sprints LTE phones would still work on WiMax.  I tried to have them prove to me that it would work but they couldnt do it, they got really confused as to why it wouldnt work.  Ultimately I think they were confused by the fact that Sprint has a hotspot device that does do both WiMax and LTE.  In the end we still switched to Sprint because it has far better coverage then T-Mobile in the Denver area.  Despite the slow 3G speeds my data speeds are always consistent and reliabe. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.