cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No incoming texts unless on a phone call - Naperville IL 60564

Journeyman

No incoming texts, unless I am on a call. This has been occurring since 2/9/12.

This is the same issue I was having in early December of 2011, which Sprint said was a result of tower problems. South Naperville/Plainfield area, zip 60564.

TIRED OF THIS CRAP, SPRINT!!!!!!

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10

Re: No incoming texts unless on a phone call - Naperville IL 60564

I have heard of this issue before. What will need to be done is to have a trouble ticket submitted by technical support.You will need to call technical support and have them create a ticket so that the VLR can be cleared.

Ray

Journeyman

Thanks Ray - another hour and a half of my life wasted on the phone with tech support doing power down, take out battery, wait, restart....at least 4 times...followed by other troubleshooting ideas that don't work...followed by "go to a sprint store."

Journeyman

Hi, I'm new to the forums here. I actually just registered today to reply to this thread. I moved into this same area in October 2011, and every month since then I've had this problem. It's happened in mid-November, December 4-6 (from what I remember, others say it started on the 2nd, which seems very likely now that I think about it), December 27 - January 7 (might have been longer but I was out of town for Christmas, thank God), and it has just started up again on the 9th of February.

The first time we called Sprint about it in early December they were telling us it was a device issue or something, but that service failure was breif enough for us to get over it.

The second time we called Sprint was shortly after we came back to town after the holidays. They kept trying to tell me it was a device issue, even though I assured them it wasn't. I explained to them repeatedly that we have six lines (two Evos, a Galaxy, an LG, a Samsung, and an iPhone) and they were all experiencing the same problems. I also explained that if we drove a few miles up Route 59 (jmbren will know what I'm talking about here) that our phones would all magically start functioning perfectly again. So it wasn't a device issue, it was a service/location issue.

Again, they kept trying to tell me it was a device issue and had me power down my phone, do the power cycles, reset the data profiles, etc, but it didn't work, just as I had assumed.

Now the worst part about all this, aside from not being able to keep in touch with anyone via text (which is the primary form of communication for several people in my family, myself included), is that since we had to place a phone call in order to receive our texts, we would be placing calls literally every 5-10 minutes. But seeing as how we didn't want to be ringing up other people's phones at any odd hour during the night and bother them to get our texts, we would just call our voicemail numbers.

This practically doubled our bill, as our voicemails are considered landlines by Sprint (as we so belatedly found out). We called them about it and explained the issue, and argued that since these charges were a direct result of Sprint's service failure that they should be removed.

They refused to listen, and instead recommended that we upgrade our plans. That really made me angry. And I'll tell you why. It's a terrible example of customer service. To first ignore the problems and the words of the customer (and yes, I do feel justified in using the word "ignore", and I'll get back to that in a minute) and them hold them responsible for the company's inability to provide consistent service, and THEN to tell them to spend more money paying for that inconsistent service is somewhere in between laughable and infuriating.

I had a similar situation with AT&T about four years ago when I switched services to use the iphone (came back to Sprint after two years, it was the better service provider where I lived at the time) where AT&T had charged me $600 in data that I didn't use. I can go into the details if you don't believe me, but right now they're irrelevant and I think my rant is long enough as it is. Bottom line was they realized where they had dropped the ball and removed the charges from my account. That whole conversation took about fifteen minutes. In the two years that I had AT&T, I may have had a few service issues, but customer service was never one of them.

Now, Sprint has never given me any problems before. It always worked perfectly in Houston. But as soon as I moved up to Naperville, the quality went down the tubes. Which is another reason why I'm sure it's a location/service issue and not a device issue. I explained this to the CS rep on Saturday when I called again, but they kept implying it was a problem on my end and they wanted to connect me to Tech Support. The line went dead when they were transferring me. I didn't bother calling back. What's Tech Support gonna do for me when the problem is on their end? This is why I feel like I'm being ignored, and I'm sure that jmbren and all the other customers in my area who are calling Sprint about this feel the same way.

At this point in time my family and I are seriously considering just moving to another carrier, all six of us. It's not worth the headache. It's not worth having to argue with CS reps. It's not worth having to miss out on important messages. And I'll be darned if Sprint is going to charge us the cancellation fee. That is, in the event that we do leave.

We just want our basic services to work.

Journeyman

I feel your pain, buddy, and know EXACTLY what you're talking about. This is OBVIOUSLY a tower issue (AGAIN AND AGAIN), otherwise things wouldn't work perfectly when we drive up the road a bit and connect to another tower.

Visited the Sprint store today, to be told - "Yeah, it isn't your device, this is happening to all of our phones. There is a tower issue."

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is a tower issue, THEN FIX IT. Stop with whatever band-aid solutions you have been using and FIX THE PROBLEM.  Have been with Sprint for cell service for at least 11 years, and currently have 9 cell phone lines and 2 aircards for my family.  Very close to my breaking point.

Hope this gets resolved for us all, Jay.

Highlighted
Wizard

I know its frustrating to have this text messaging problems. Its called a Zone Base Paging issue. I can help to create a ticket and get it to the correct team to resolve this. I will private message you both to gain the information needed to have a ticket created.

PinkElmo

Journeyman

Thanks, Elmo, checking the message now.

Journeyman

OH MY GOODNESS, MARK THE CALENDAR I RECEIVED A TEXT MESSAGE TODAY WITHOUT BEING ON A PHONE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

Noticed at a little before 3am last night that my texts started coming in normally.

Thanks for your help, guys! Much appreciated.

Journeyman

>>> STARTING NEW THREAD SINCE TITLE IS MISLEADING ON LOCATION OF PROBLEM <<<<

Hi Ray -

I need your help on Zone Base Paging issues. 

I live very close to the original thread-starter (I'm in Plainfield, IL 60544, near U.S. 30 and 135th Street).  We have had this issue since around April 1st, on two identical phones (Samsung Galaxy Epic S II).  No incoming texts, unless a call is made.  Drive 10 miles away and everything works fine.  We have had this escalated with tech support.  I have a CMTS ticket # I can private mail to you, if it helps. 

The phones worked fine when we first purchased them, but no one at Sprint can fix this issue in Plainfield.  I don't want to terminate service, but no progress has been made on this for almost three weeks. I feel like a pawn in a big chess game where Sprint is not understanding how bad things are in this area of Plainfield, IL.

Frank

Journeyman

Here you go Frank.. hopefully this explains.. Looks like we could see spotty service until sometime mid June.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-w...

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.