cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Wimax?! What now?

Journeyman

Saw today's press release that Sprint will be ending its relationship with Clearwire.  What does this mean for those of us with Wimax 4G phones?  I just signed with Sprint last year and won't be up for an upgrade for some time yet. 

24 REPLIES 24
Wizard

The press releas says nothing about our relationship with Clear ending. We are just also deploying LTE on 1900 Mhz. Wimax will continue on.

Journeyman

Ok, but, am I correct in saying that there's not going to be any further improvement/rollout of the WiMax network besides what's already out there, which is already rather spotty? And if so, is there going to be some sort of concession made to the owners of WiMax phones who'll need to upgrade in order to have reasonable 4G coverage?

Wizard

Sorry. I do not have the answer to that.

Journeyman

they wont be putting out more wimax areas, those of us that have been waiting get screwed. im in the metro detroit area, which should have been 1 of the first areas with coverage, and have purchased 4 4g phones (evo, 2 epics bought without upgrades, and a 3d) waiting on 4g coverage. are they going to offer us early upgrades for their screw up? probably not.

Journeyman

thats not entirely true... the nature of how sprint buys the  use on clears network, is setup up not as sprint areas and clearwire(any of the other companies ie bestbuy, that clear partners with) clear wire doesnt do as sprint tells them to and where to put up the network, sprint buys access to their network, which will continue to be rolled out at clearwires pace... however fast or slow that may be. so if clearwire adds a location its not directly influenced by sprint. so yes you could still get areas of expansion. 

i recommend calling rententions get ona  sero plan or make them try to make you happy, i warn you dont go in with an attitude or pissed off you will probably get less than you could otherwise dont talk to a sprint store cause they cant "do" anything, and neither really can the folks here at this website but those people at retentions this is their job to make you happy and keep you as a customer and they do ALOT to keep you... call the 800 number and tell the you want to be transferred to retentions

Journeyman

At the moment it's a moot point; but once the LTE starts actually rolling out I hope they'll make some concessions to us poor WiMax suckers. lol.  At that point I probably will have a talk with retentions.  For now I guess I'll just continue using 3G on my 4G phone. (Which is still a pretty good phone, btw)

Wizard

Re: No more Wimax?! What now?

This is kind of odd. It's like cutting off your own hand for Sprint, since they own the majority of Clearwire. What a financial boondoggle for Sprint. This is akin to a company in the late 70's - early 80's that depended on video cassette machines for their business and invested heavily in betamax machines.

Journeyman

my only concern is that there was a statement about current 4G devices (through Sprint) being incapable of working on their LTE 4G network. While this seems ridiculous to me (and could very well be the writer's error), it does cause me some concern because I was upgrading to the Samsung Galaxy S II for Christmas and adding another line with the either a second Galaxy or the iPhone 4s. If there was some truth to the hardware or software being incapable of syncing with 4G LTE, then I may need to rethink the Galaxy S and just get a couple 4s' which I'm not really wanting to do.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And being in San Diego all you usually get is 3G, unless you're really close to a few Clearwire spots downtown and in San Marcos.

So here I sit with the Wimax Mifi which usually works faster wherever I travel than my home.

Long run, fine. Rather all providers essentially on same LTE system, at least until the "new" system comes about.

A new customer should definitly NOT consider Sprint for sometime though.

Journeyman
Journeyman

Well, then maybe Sprint needs to stop all the premium add-on charges for using these 4g phones with sprint knowing darn well that people who live in the areas that were promised 4g won't get it anytime soon AND give those who need the new 4g LTE phones when LTE is relased for FREE! This is so rediculous and uncool to have customers sign up for 4g updates (i.e. Phoneix AZ customers) knowing we will not get the service for at least another year due to Clearwire's soon to be demise.....how about some honesty to your customers and some pricing relief instead of all of this evading the issue with answers that are not true???? Would you buy a new car if you found out the company lied about or evaded answers regarding features that would never be usable? I know a phone is not the same as a car, but a lie is a lie from any stand point by any company.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.