cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not 3g at all

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not 3g at all

I want to prefice this by saying I have been fairly happy with all sprint services and pricing policies.  The one rub is 3g speed.  I pay 40 dollars a month for my Evo 4g and another 30 bucks a month for my wifes pre in order to get 3g internet.  For those not gifted in math that is 70 bucks a month for internet which is almost twice what I pay for my home internet.  So the issue is I have been using Speedtest.net and the FCC app to monitor my 3g speed.  I started doing this after I sent a friend a link to a youtube video and he was able to watch it without buffering on his ATT phone.  We both did a speed test and I was pulling 100-200 kb a second to his 1000kb (we moved to another location and he was pulling 2300kb).  Just for comparison we pulled in someone with a verizon phone to the test.  He too got around 1000kb.  So three Android smart phones using the same app to test the download speed and I was getting 1/5 to 1/10 the bandwidth. 

Now most of the time for standard text based internet browsing 200kb a second is fine.  But we have a tight internet policy at work and I would like to be able to stream rhapsody music (which constantly buffers) and youtube videos on my phone.  So basically I can't use the phone for what I bought it for nor is the speed I am reaching even close to what I am paying for (4g).  Most of the time in fact I am running at 2g speeds. 

I've already decided that I will move to Verizon as soon as possible.  It is a little more a month but you actually get what you pay for.  The only thing that might be able to salvage my relationship with sprint would be if 4g made it to my town.  Verizon is expecting it sometime this year.

How many of you out there are paying for 4g but only getting 2g as well?    Post your speedtest.net results here.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Journeyman

Not 3g at all

Those look a lot like the speeds I'm getting. Every once in a while I'll get 1000kb depending where in the city I happen to be. My sister who has T-Mobile is able to view youtube videos without interruption while our phones pause to load videos.

I still can't believe Sprint is going to make all smartphone users pay an extra $10 a month for internet that's slower than dial-up. I have 5 lines so that's going to add an extra $50 a month if we renew. Hopefully the AT&T/T-Mobile merger gets blocked, I will go to T-Mobile if it does.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not 3g at all

Same here. We have two smartphones on Sprint. When we lived in the Northwest, speeds were relatively good. I could load a youtube vid or surf a page and expect it to load before a minute had elapsed. Not so in Dallas.....

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.