cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outage in zip 49017/49068

Highlighted
Journeyman

Outage in zip 49017/49068

I understand that as of the past month or so, Sprint has been updating the Nextel towers in the area so that they can become compatible with Sprint. Several associates have told me that outages in service would likely accompany these updates.

However, today in zip code 49017 (where I work) I have experienced what has probably been the worst of these outages. I also had some issues this morning at home (49068). I called 2 Sprint stores in the area and both were unable to tell me exactly what was going on. Furthermore, my co-workers who use ATT are also having issues with their service. The associate at one Sprint store indicated that since both Sprint and ATT users are experience issues, a tower may have gotten damaged in last night's storms in the area. But still, no one can confirm.

Can someone please explain the extreme downgrade in 3G today, and even moreso, tell us when all of these upgrades will be completed?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Outage in zip 49017/49068

GeorgiaBlache, I apologize for the issues you are experiencing. At this time I show two outages 9037163, and 9032338 in that area. the estimated time of repair for the outages are 5/9 12pm cst. We appreciate your patients while we work to resolve these issues.

Journeyman

Thank you for such a prompt reply - that means a lot to us who are trying to figure out what is going on. But you do realize that's almost 48 hours from now until I can truly use the unlimited data that I pay for, right? I understand that upgrades are necessary, but almost 2 days without being able to use my phone is a huge inconvenience, especially when it is my only phone. Will we be credited for the time we are unable to use the phone? I would hope so!

Once the issue has been fully resolved you are more then welcome to contact customer service regarding a credit for the outages.

Journeyman

Thanks for your help. I spoke with a CSR today and she was very helpful in getting this resolved.

However, I have a new concern. An article in our local newspaper states that the outage for one of the towers was due to the fact that the tower is situated on the roof of a building, and that building had its power shut off on Sunday due to unpaid utility bills.

I qote from the following article (http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/article/20120508/NEWS01/305080012/City-orders-Heritage-Tower-vaca...)

"The Heritage Tower serves as a cellphone tower for Sprint, and the power outage has affected local cell phone service. Sprint spokeswoman Candace Johnson said the problem is out of the company’s control, because it can’t use a generator to restore service as it would with a free-standing cell tower that lost power."

So what is Sprint going to do in order to restore service to the area? Will a new tower be erected? Will a current tower be upgrated to handle the capacity? I am already frustrated that my phone is a $200 paperweight while I am at work and I can only use it at home. I would hope that this issue is resolved as quickly as possible so that the many users in the area, myself included, can soon resume utilizing their phones!

Journeyman

No kidding... Why would Sprint leave their tower on top of a building that has the top three floors condemned for at least 2-4 years now. For Sprint spokeswoman to say " there's nothing they can do". Yes their is, invest in your company, install more then 2 towers in a city of around 100,000 people. Lease a back up tower or space. Stop making excuses and provide. Stop wasting money on NASCAR and Survivor and spend them millions in towers and equipment and your employees.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.