Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Service in Ann Arbor, MI

Highlighted
Journeyman

Poor Service in Ann Arbor, MI

Two Locations that just have terrible service:

http://g.co/maps/3fjkm - Huron Parkway near the University Hospital and Central Campus area, running speed tests shows download speeds of 50kbps, something a dial up modem in the early 90s could achieve, with upload speeds of 200kpbs. I'm all for asymetric channels, but this one is backwards guys. Late nights aren't bad, during normal business hours I might as well have a feature phone in my pocket, because data is unbearable.

http://g.co/maps/hwpxp - All of the North Engineering Campus has absolutely terrible cell reception. The buildings are older and have thick walls, but Sprint really needs to fix this. We have an absolutely huge campus, training some of the brightest engineers, who all have absolutely terrible opinions of Sprint's coverage and commitment to service. An investigation was done early this year and Verizon was the only carrier who agreed to install equiptment to boost signal reception on campus. Sprint was publically shamed with flyers for failing to step up and address an issue that annoys so many.

Sprint,

I recently moved to the Ann Arbor area after enjoying strong service and speeds in a different area. The coverage here is terrible, and has been terrible for the last year. The majority of undergradates here switch to Verizon or AT&T as soon as their contract is up after arriving freshmen year.

My contract is up for renewal now, will anything be done about the poor service and congestion in this area, or should I move on?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Master

Re: Poor Service in Ann Arbor, MI

Hello and Thank you for using Sprint.com Communities to report this trouble.  We absolutely understand your frustration and value our customers feedback and satisfaction.  Let me run a network area analysis and see what I can find.  I will post my findings momentarily. 

Tom

Highlighted
Master

Update ~ All towers in the area appear to be functioning properly and we have no officially reported outages at this time.  This appears to be a "capacity" issue as well as possible signal reduction from foliage interference.  Network Vision addresses this problem with capacity upgrades as well as a utilization of the lower 800Mhz frequency for better structural penetration.  We do have 13 upgrades scheduled for this area over the next 6 months. 

We also have an Airave Solution for a single indoor location if you have a consumer landline internet like cable or DSL.  This device can provide full signal to a 40 foot radius inside a building.  

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tom,

Thanks for looking into this...

I'm not sure that having 800Mhz utilization will help my poor EVO 4G, I don't think it has a 800Mhz radio in it

I'm all on board with Network Vision, and in the longterm (2-5 years) it looks like Sprint is the carrier to be with.

Could you perhaps send me some info on the Airave? How could I get my hands on one?

Highlighted
Master

You can private message by clicking on my avatar.  We can see if you qualify. 

Tom

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.