Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Outage in Chicago (60625)

Highlighted
Journeyman

As soon as I enter my neighborhood (Chicago, 60625), the reception on my phone flatlines.  It seems to work fine throughout the city ... until I get to my apartment.  At that point I'm in a service-free zone.  I first noticed this a couple of weeks ago (middle of January 2012).  I've contacted Sprint a couple of times, but have not gotten any difinitive word on what the issue may be (though I assume a tower is malfunctioning).  Anyone know anything more?

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Master

Sorry for the inconvenience. I checked your zip code and there are no reported outages for voice issue. Yesterday there was an outage for voice issue, engineers were notified about the issue and issue has been resolved around 21:09:28 CST.I would suggest you to power cycle the device and update profile. Try to make calls. Let me know.

Thanks

Abe

EVDO Connection,Voice 8690081 At 2012/01/31 01:35:57 we experienced the following Problem(s) in the Chicago : Chicago Market: Voice (Blocked calls) EVDO Connection (Blocked Connection) . 01/30/2012 19:35:00 CST 01/30/2012 21:09:28 CST 3 01/30/2012 19:58:13 CST No Information
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Possible Outage in Chicago (60625)

My wife and I are having the same problem from our home in 60625, also since mid-January.  We've had service for a couple of years with no reception issues at all, until about two weeks ago.  Suddenly, we barely get any reception in our home -- sometimes it can't dial, sometimes it can make calls, but they are static-y and break up and often get dropped.

We talked to customer support (which was frustrating itself.  The tech I spoke to said there were problems with our tower earlier in the evening, but everything was working 100%.  Then why did her call to my wife's phone break up?  "It sounded like a helicopter went over."  *sigh*  Yes, I'm sure our problems are due to 2 weeks of non-stop helicopter traffic.)  Anyway, the tech finally told us to have our phones checked out at a sprint store.  Also, the first support tech I spoke to -- and got disconnected with due to poor reception -- left a message suggesting we get an airave.

We'll take our phones into the store this weekend, but I'm doubtful it will find much.  I think it's unlikely that two different phones stopped getting reception in one location at the same time.  But we'll see.  I also don't want to get an airave, because our reception used to be just fine, I don't see why suddenly we should need a special device to boost reception.  Especially in Chicago.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have gone through the same channels (though I have not been told to get airave).  The first person I talked to (via chat as I could not make a call) did say there was an outage in the area.  Since then, the story has changed and there is now no outage.  Odd. 

I will have to go in at some point and have my phone looked at (per recommendations from Sprint staff), but I can't imagine there's an issue with the phone.  I have flawless reception thrughout the city.  I just loose it whenever I'm in the neighborhood.

Best of luck to you and your wife!

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is definitley an issue in 60625 -- has been since mid-January. I posted on OhSoWe and got a couple of neighbors with the same problems. I have a simple phone, my symptoms are fluctuting bars, dropping in and out of the network, not able to place or receive calls, dropped calls. My phone works fine everywhere else in the city but not in my neighborhood. I have spent hours on the phone with Sprint over the last 2 weeks but no resolution, a couple of mentions about a network issue that has been fixed.

I finally went to a corporate store -- my phone failed their test,  but it works fine everywhere else!. My advice to you is don't bother -- they cannot even help you report an issue to customer service.

Word on the street is that Sprint is very reluctant to acknowledge network issues because then they need to pro-rate your bill. I can't tell you how frustrated I am with them. What a horrible way to treat your customers. Wouldn't it be better to say 'we are working to resolve the issue'?

Highlighted
Master

Hello and thank you for reporting this issue.  For the zip code 60625, all official outages have been closed by network "at this time."  Please provide an address that's near you but not your own and we can check your closest towers' performance.  You can also private message me by clicking on my avatar; I will then need your name, Sprint phone number, and physical location where this problem is occurring. 

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

The problem is happening near 4540 North Campbell Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625.

Highlighted
Journeyman

and it is occurring at 4700 N Rockwell -- last friday I was at 4500 N. Lincoln and it was a problem there too (about 7 blocks away) .. thank you for looking in to it.

Highlighted
Master

To PH60625 ~ Please private message me with your name and Sprint phone number. 

To LSV1178 ~ Please private message me with your name and Sprint phone number. 

To achg ~ Please private message me with your name and Sprint phone number, if you haven't already, although the "helicopter" reference looks familiar. 

Tom

Highlighted
Master

To LSV1178 ~ Thank you.  Please check your private messages. 

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had the same problem, starting suddenly on January 20th, the first heavy snow fall in Chicago.  The phone seems to work fine in the suburbs and in other parts of the city.  Rapid signal variation, phantom voicemails, text messages either received hours after they are sent or never received at all.  I thought maybe it was my phone at first, it's about 3 years old.  I would hate to upgrade just to have the same problem.  There should be no need to have a booster in such a populated area, but has that fixed the problem for anyone?  Did you receive any good news or assistance from tomdeaver?

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's been close to a week since I was told someone would contact me in 24 hours, and I have yet to hear from anyone (unless, of course, they have tried  calling me when I'm at home and my phone is no more than a piece of  expensive plastic).  It's been a month since I've had cell service in my  home, and I'm starting to think it's time I cut my losses and cancel my  contract with Sprint.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.