cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Outage in Chicago (60625)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought our friend Tom here was going to look into it but I have not heard anything. I also called customer service one day last week and someone did call me back a day or two later.  I have not had time to call him back. I was going to call  today but when I listend to the message (4 times because it kept cutting out) they said to call between 8am and 9pm m-f central time.  I might call on Monday but I'm with you, I think my time/energy is better spent finding a new carrier. I have had neighbors say they are happy with Verizon and T-Mobile.  It's too bad because I have had Sprint for more than 10 years with good coverage. I guess I was lucky I didn't have to deal with customer service before.   Customer service matters.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem in 60605 😕

Highlighted
Journeyman

Me too.  Located at Sunnyside and Western, Chicago, IL 60625.  Since January service has got worse!  I've had Sprint here for over 2 years.  Always four bars and great reception.  Now I'm roaming in my apartment and getting dropped calls all the time.  I can stand in once place, turn around and the bars fluctuate.  After about a month of this I called Sprint.  At first they said there were no issues.  Then they claimed that they were updating their network and that this problem would totally be resolved in one week.  That was last Saturday.  Today tons of problems still.  No change.  They did offer me $25 off my bill last time I called (which I took)!  If this continues for a week or so I am going to Verzion.  My contract is up and people who have Verizon in my apartment get a full signal.  Come on Sprint!  I've like you.  Fix it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Possible Outage in Chicago (60625)

Somene called me on my home phone yesterday (2/18) to tell me they fixed the problem. When I told her that my phone still did not appear to be getting a good signal she said I should test it out and she would call me back today to see. So far I have made two calls and they have both dropped.  They are probably going to tell me it is my phone again. I don't know if anyone at Sprint is paying attention to this discussion but there were 6 of us reporting the problem.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes.  I posted 9 days ago and no change.  Terrible service in my apartment and even around Welles Park.   I was able to have an entire conversation near the corner of Montrose and Western.  This was a first.  I've received no calls from Sprint.  I may stop in the Sprint store to see if they can do anything.

Highlighted
Journeyman

+1 with issues since around the 3rd week of January consistently through the present. I'm near 4600 N. Kimball (Kimball and Wilson). I had a good run since switching to Sprint last October - some data problems, but never a dropped call. Since the issues in the area started last month I've pretty much given up on trying to have a phone conversation...IF I manage to connect to my party, I can count on the call dropping within 5 and no more than 10 minutes. Data is useless until my Brown line train gets east to Western or so (what does it mean when you have the little circle? 2G?).

I still have 3 to 4 bars pretty consistently, but the connection consistency just isn't there. No problems in other areas of the city I go to, or downtown. I hope Sprint takes another look; something's not right in this neighborhood!

Please don't make me regret giving you a second chance, Sprint (after a miserable experience with my first wireless account back in 2002-2004 - both signal and customer service were terrible back then).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought service in the Albany Park neighborhood was fine when I started with Sprint in October, but now once I get west of Lincoln Square the little circle appears/disappears and my data wheel sometimes spins and spins.  I now drop calls from the exact same place in which I used to get a decent signal.    As for the call quality; when I dial a number from my neighborhood I hear a weird, scratchy "blip" as it connects.  And sometimes hear it again during the call.  That started happening about the same time, mid-January.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I haven't made any progess either.  I did receive a call from Sprint (while I was at home in the dead zone so it didn't come through) and followed their instructions on how to receive a call back.  Nothing.  I've been out of town, but will call today and see what I can find out.  I'm not optimistic.

Perhaps we should all get together on Saturday and storm a Sprint store.  I'm only half joking.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having the same issues in Chicago (60607). I live 7-8 blocks west of the Sears Tower and you would assume that being in Downtown Chicago the signal and 3G should be perfect but that's not the case. In my apartment I usually get an "Extended" instead of "Sprint" network (does extended mean roaming?) and I also get a small circle instead of the 3G connection. I get tons of dropped calls, can't send picture texts, and can't connect to the Internet as it is super slow. My wife has the same phone as me (we both have the iPhone 4S) and she has the exact same issues as me so it's not a problem with my phone. To make things worst, due to the poor signal here on the Chicago West Loop, my phone eats up its battery in less than 12 hours even on standby mode due to it constantly looking up for a solid cell phone signal. Sprint, this is becoming frustrating. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in the 60625 zip area and have posted about these problems multiple times here.  I was out in the suburbs today and stopped in a Sprint store.  I was the only customer there and got all three employees attention.  I told them I called Sprint and was first told there were no reported problems. Then later I was told that they were updating their network and it would be fixed in a week.  It has been several weeks and now it is actually worse. The employees went on their computer and pulled up the coverage around my address.  I'm wondering if this was an internal Sprint map as it did not look like the one I pulled up on Sprint's website.  It showed a light area snaking all around my location and around my neighborhood.  He said...."Hmmmmm.  Yeh.  You only have roaming service now."  He basically told me that there has to be trouble with the towers in my neighborhood and that unless I purchase 4G phone this will continue indefinitely.  I have a 2G non-smart phone and I guess 3G is still just as bad.  I wanted to get an iphone but they are only 3G, so that wouldn't help.  DROIDs are 4g.  I told the guys at the Sprint store that my service has been so shotty that I don't want to get a new DROID, sign a new 2-year contract, come home, have crap service and be stuck.  They told me Sprint could give me a 14-day trial and I could bring it back and say "no way" and have my contract annulled. He told me what I really should do is call Sprint, tell them the situation and then ask for a signal booster (mini tower that you connect to a high speed internet connection) which would give me awesome 2G and 3G signal within 5,000 feet of the device.  He said to tell them that I want this booster for free and that I'm planning on dropping them if they don't give it to me (I'm no longer under contract).  So I called Sprint.  This time the guy actually volunteered much more information.  He told me that my neighborhood (Lincoln Square) has seen a growth in customers and that the towers are basically over capacity.  They plan to put up new towers but this will not happen until 2013! Before I even asked, he told me he would send me this signal booster (mini tower thing) within 2 or 3 days at no charge.  I can plug it in and I will be good to go until 2013 and then I will have to return it as I won't need it any more.  I think these mini towers (the size of a router) can cost up to $150 to $200.  But, like I said, no charge.   After it arrives I will post again here and tell you if this is a solution or not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just had a similar experience.  I did not get a detailed explanation as to why the signal has gone bad, but I will be receiving a (free) Airave mini tower.  I should have it by the beginning of next week and I too will check back in and report on how it works.

Highlighted
Master

In this area the Lincoln Square tower is out of service and must have a hardware failure. The tower circled in red has a  data ticket for connectivity/speed issues.

1 60625.JPG

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.