cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the new 4g LTE

Highlighted
Journeyman

Question about the new 4g LTE

My question is about the new 4g LTE network. Will other 4g phones such as samsung epic 4g touch be able to use the 4g LTE network when it comes out?

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Question about the new 4g LTE

They will not. 4G devices such as your phone, the Epic Touch 4G, take advantage of WiMax technology for their 4G connectivity and do not have the specific hardware components to recieve an LTE signal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

how is it 4g LTE is coming out and i still havent gotten regular 4g in my area...i have owned the Epic4g and now i have a Evo...never had the experice of 4g...please explain thanks

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

The previous posters are correct - the Epic cannot support LTE because the hardware does not include a radio for LTE signals.  Sprint and Clear are committed to supporting WiMax through at least 2015.  We can't speak to Clear's plans for expanding their WiMax network.

Sprint is committed to building out a very wide footprint for our 4G LTE network under our Network Vision plan.  When Sprint's Network Vision deployment is complete at the end of 2013, Sprint will have covered 250 million LTE POPs and will continue filling in smaller markets with LTE at the beginning of 2014, according to Bob Azzi, SVP Network at Sprint.  That's double what we cover now with 4G WiMax service.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok so sprint is rolling out LTE on the 1900Mhz spectrum then eventually on the 800Mhz spectrum.  The first 3 "LTE" phones for sprint will only support the 1900Mhz spectrum.  Will there be a firmware update or something when LTE goes to 800Mhz or will I have to get a new phone?  I am asking because I am due for upgrade in May and the LG Viper, Samsung Nexus 4G LTE, and EVO LTE will be only ones out in that time frame.  I dont want to be stuck.

Highlighted
Wizard

My understanding is that LTE is LTE.  Regardless of what precise spectrum the carrier is currently using, the hardware is capable of transmitting/receiving on any LTE spectrum.  I guess the short answer is that the software loaded by the phone carrier will tell the hardware which spectrum to use.

Highlighted
Wizard

waggonater wrote:

Ok so sprint is rolling out LTE on the 1900Mhz spectrum then eventually on the 800Mhz spectrum.  The first 3 "LTE" phones for sprint will only support the 1900Mhz spectrum.  Will there be a firmware update or something when LTE goes to 800Mhz or will I have to get a new phone?  I am asking because I am due for upgrade in May and the LG Viper, Samsung Nexus 4G LTE, and EVO LTE will be only ones out in that time frame.  I dont want to be stuck.

Ha ha.  Getting STUCKk is exactly what Sprint wants you to do!!!!!  That's the name of the game man, buy with the hopes of a brighter tomorrow.  You have to buy what works for you in the here and now.  I would not recommend getting ANY phone that has tech in it for "G"s that aren't in your area.  A smart man would wait it out for the network to be deployed and more phones to come online.  But you could also think about it this way: Depending on where you live, there's a HUGE chance that LTE won't even get to you until end of 2013....so you'd only be another 6 months away from getting a new upgrade if you upgraded in June 2012. therefore if your upgrade to the HTC EVO 4G LTE doesn't support the future LTE at the lower bands, then you'll only have a few months to get suckered in again!

Highlighted

What arTim said.  LTE is LTE.  With LTE Release 10, you may have one portion of your transmission on 800, one portion on 1900, and a third portion on leased spectrum.

The phones released today will support high data rate, low latency LTE for many years.  As we update the network, coverage and speeds will increase.  Our first rollout will be on the 1900 MHz spectrum we own free and clear.  Later rollouts will include 800MHz as we decommission IDEN, then possible lease agreements with other companies on their spectrum.

The key to any smartphone purchase is two fold:

1) Buy the best phone you can afford now.  It'll be obsolete in 6 months anyway. 

2) Be sure the phone, as released, meets your basic needs.  Do not count on promised future upgrades to meet a basic need. 

If you're concerned about your current coverage area, I encourage you to wait until network ugpgrades are complete in your market, then buy the phone that works best with the network where you live and work. 

Highlighted

Following up to my own post - a Qualcomm whitepaper about the chipset used (Snapdragon S4 MSM8960) notes that the chip has:

Support for multiple radio frequencies: Mobile broadband technologies are growing increasingly complex in their implementation. LTE is currently being implemented in over 40 diff erent radio frequency bands throughout the world. To complement its wide range of modem standards supported, Qualcomm has designed the Snapdragon S4 Processor MSM8960 CHIPSET platform to address all commonly-used frequencies (from 700–2600 MHz) and bandwidths up to 20 MHz, allowing its customers to address any mobile network opportunity whether the simplest single frequency implementation to the most extensive multi-frequency global mode, whether 4G, 3G or 2G.

So, yes, the current chipset will support both 1900 and 800 LTE, Voice and 3G data.

Highlighted
Wizard

MZ_DYMOND wrote:

how is it 4g LTE is coming out and i still haven't gotten regular 4g in my area...i have owned the Epic4g and now i have a Evo...never had the experience of 4g...please explain thanks

Because Sprint deceived us all in 2010 by telling us they were going to build a national 4G network. We gladly took their $10 increase for the 4G "fast as broadband speeds" that were going to be on a nation-wide from sea to shining sea network! This great 4G speed was going to start in 10 or 12 cities but was going to expand quickly. We ate it up! Now Sprint announces new high speed called LTE and it will be out THIS YEAR in 6 cities (at first) but soon to expand! The similarities between the Evo 4G and new Evo 4G LTE storyline is scary they are so similar.

Let me spell it out for you as it's just this simple: You want a nice phone with poor data speeds with a cheap rate plan then hang with Sprint. They will give you all the slow data you are willing to hurry up and wait for. If you want that high speed data then you go with another carrier and enjoy paying for it.

To answer your question, they lied to you son, you/we were taken advantage of in a bad way. The sad part is they are doing the same thing 2 years later and Sprint is hoping we are stupid enough to hang with them.

Sprint will not build out a nation-wide 4G LTE service any time soon and when the iPhone 5 comes out Sprint's goose will be cooked. See, they promised Apple they would buy and sell many of their phones. But Sprint's customers aren't going to want to buy LTE iPhones when the service isn't there. Sprint's shell game could end  in June, fall at the latest with the release of the iPhone 5. So again the only reason to be with Sprint is for all the hurry up and wait unlimited data you can eat. Did you notice which carrier didn't get the new iPad? Apple didn't want to hear all that grief!

Chances are when/if Sprint is still around and gets this 4G LTE service they speak of they will end their unlimited data.

Then the howling will begin.

Highlighted
Wizard

wingland wrote:

What arTim said.  LTE is LTE.  With LTE Release 10, you may have one portion of your transmission on 800, one portion on 1900, and a third portion on leased spectrum.

The phones released today will support high data rate, low latency LTE for many years.  As we update the network, coverage and speeds will increase.  Our first rollout will be on the 1900 MHz spectrum we own free and clear.  Later rollouts will include 800MHz as we decommission IDEN, then possible lease agreements with other companies on their spectrum.

The key to any smartphone purchase is two fold:

1) Buy the best phone you can afford now.  It'll be obsolete in 6 months anyway. 

2) Be sure the phone, as released, meets your basic needs.  Do not count on promised future upgrades to meet a basic need. 

If you're concerned about your current coverage area, I encourage you to wait until network ugpgrades are complete in your market, then buy the phone that works best with the network where you live and work. 

That's good advice "If you're concerned about your current coverage area, I encourage you to wait until network upgrades are complete in your market, then buy the phone that works best with the network where you live and work." But using this advice customers could have just stayed with their HTC Hero because the network isn't there and may not be there until the end of 2013. Both Verizon and ATT are at least a year ahead of Sprint regarding LTE. If I were Sprint I would be embarrassed and very concerned. If every other carrier has LTE and Sprint has it in 8 cities when the iPhone 5 hits it could be a disaster financially for Sprint. The only thing that sold all those iPhone 4S's for Sprint is that no other carrier had anything faster than 3G (and the cost of Sprint's data). Sprint sold many 3G iPhones but will they sell many 4G LTE iPhones when as encouraged by you: "to wait until network upgrades are complete in your market, then buy the phone that works best with the network where you live and work."

If everyone does what you just suggested Sprint won't sell any iPhones!

You also stated: Be sure the phone, as released, meets your basic needs.  Do not count on promised future upgrades to meet a basic need.

A basic need like to be able to stream things from iheartradio, Netflix, Youtube, or Sirius? These are reasons customers buy smartphones. If data speeds are so slow that everything is constantly buffering they are worthless. Such is my current status.

Journeyman

I was wondering to upgrade my HTC Evo to a new LTE device. So, I called the sprint customer services to find out about the LTE coverage. They told me that the LTE will be available in Florida only by the end of 2013. This is at least 1 1/2 years. WHAT????? Believe me, the associate still try to convince that it would be good to me upgrade my phone. Are they out of the mine? Why I would pay $199 to a device that will run only on 3G  for the next 18 months (at least). With my Evo I can use WiMAX where I got coverage, but if I change now I will be stuck with 3G. And more, Sprint will lock me in another 2 years contract. I'M NOT STUPID!!!  The associate than transfer me to a "supervisor"  that try to explain me about the improvements that Sprint are doing (The Vision Network), bla, bla... Bla. In the end I told her that Sprint is too far behind on the new technology and doesn't make any sense to me to spend money RIGHT NOW with a phone that have no network support. I have 3 lines with Sprint right now and I am seriously think to move to another carrier. Sprint is messing around with this transition and promising too much for The Vision Network, just like they did with WiMAX 4G. By the way, Sprint should change the slogan from THE NOW NETWORK to THE VISION NETWORK. Will be more appropriate. SHOULD WE BELIEVE IT AGAIN?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.