cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Error: Radio Interface Resource Shortage

Journeyman

SMS Error: Radio Interface Resource Shortage

This issue has been happening occasionally over the past few weeks, but by the end of last week it became very problematic.  I am getting the error again today.

It usually happens when I send text messages, but now it happens when I try to load web pages.  Also, incoming calls are sporadically going directly to VM without ringing my phone, but if the caller hangs up and tries 2-3 more times it finally rings through.  This past weekend when answering an incoming call I couldn’t hear the caller at all.  They had to call me at twice more before I could hear them, even though it rang and I answered it each time.

OpenCell shows my signal ranging from 83-90%, and says the closet tower is about half a mile north of me.

Phone:  HTC Evo 3D

When our cell phones can’t receive calls or send text messages, even with a solid signal, it becomes an issue quickly.  We pay for 4G – although we don’t have 4G coverage here (Sprint promises that it’s “coming soon”).  That means we are paying a *serious* premium (over $240 per year extra) for the 3G service we get, and when it starts failing on a regular and increasingly frequent basis, we can’t afford to take it lightly.

Is there any way of knowing why this is happening or when it may be resolved?  This issue is definitely inconveniencing us, and we are beginning to question whether the service will be there in the event of an emergency.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a few minutes ago, when trying to call my doctor's office, I got the message:
"The network is busy.  Please try again later."

Highlighted
Journeyman

First things first, youre not paying $10 a month for 4G; the $10 a month is for having a smartphone (iPhone users pay the $10 aand are not 4G capable). Try going into your settings > system updates > and update your PRL then update your profile. If that doesn't help take it to a Sprint store, they'll be more tha nhappy to help you out!

Highlighted
Journeyman

SSS,

Thanks for the reply.  I checked, and there was a PRL update available.  I check every couple of weeks, so if it was out-of-date then it couldn’t have been by much.

I’m not sure what good it will do to update my Preferred Roaming List, since I’m having the problem at home, within half a mile of a cell tower, and not while roaming.  My phone was (unexpectedly) roaming a couple of times last week while I was home, but during those times my service was perfect.

While I understand that the guys at the Sprint store would be more than happy to help me out, the SMS Resource Shortage and “Network is busy” errors clearly indicate that the issue is not with my device.  Rather than wasting the gas to drive there and back, waiting in line to speak with a rep, waiting while he checks it out, and then having him tell me that the phone is fine, I would rather just have someone take 20 seconds to remotely check the status of my local tower and see if they need to issue a repair ticket for it.

Reviewing the numerous SMS Resource Shortage errors reported in this forum over the past two months clearly indicates a nationwide pattern of problems with the local towers.  I haven’t seen one reported yet that was resolved by taking the phone to a Sprint store.

Thanks again for your input.

-MAB

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was just reading your post because I have had similar trouble with my Evo 3d. Many hours of calling and frustration and many different views about what is wrong I am still sitting here with a phone that doesn't work. The funny thing is Sprint Store manager says it is a tower capacity problem that occured when all users from nextel and boost were put on sprint cdma towers, but my fiance who lives in the same house as I do has a Evo 4g and never has any problems what so ever. I was told it is like driving down a highway and some cars can get there and some can't. Well I want an Evo 4g if it is a car that can get there cause the 3d is stuck in traffic. But of course they can't replace your phone with anything different and you have to continue to pay for service that you are not receiving. I will not be renewing service when my contract is up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am suddenly having the same problem with both my Evo 4G and LG Optimum since yesterday. Two phone calls to customer service and one to tech support and all I have is a ticket number saying they will check into it further. Meanwhile I have no phone service unless I'm a mile from my house (where I previously had service just fine). Really Sprint, a few miles bounces my call off another tower? Getting pretty fed up!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry, forgot zip and cross road. Fort Benning, GA 31905- nearest cross road- 1st Division Rd/Dixie Rd and 1st Calvary Division Rd.

Highlighted
Master

Hello and we apologize for the delay in responding.  We are not showing any official outages currently, but there was a problem with a tower servicing 85023 when you posted.  Again, we apologize for missing this post.  There was a delay in the repair of that tower from parts being on back-order.  Network cleared this alert 6/6/12, so hopefully your service has returned to normal. 

On a different note, I pulled Phoenix, AZ which does not include surrouding adjuncts such as Scottsdale, Glendale, Mesa and Tempe, and there are 44 upgrades pending over the next 6 months.  There are even more for the "greater" Phoenix area.  We are aware of growing capacity concerns and have implented plans to improve the overall service in this area. 

Thank you for choosing Sprint,

Tom

Highlighted
Master

Hello and Thank you for using Sprint.com Communities to report this issue.  I've pulled the stats for the location you provided and one of the 3 towers that services this location has an elevated block rate, meaning unable to accept incoming call requests.  This does "bounce" your service to a tower that is not only farther away, but also may be at capacity as well due to the increased hand-offs.  I'd like to get a customer Trouble Ticket submitted to expedite the repair on this tower.  Please private message by clicking on my avatar, I will collect more account specific information from you in private. 

Thank you,

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

Modesto, CA 95356

SMS Error

Cause Code: 64

Error Class: 2

New phone and the same problems as my old phone. Poor service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem in Inglewood, Ca. 90301. All the phones on my plan are having the same issues. We can't even call eachother in the same house. Our phones don't ring; we just get random voicemail alerts. Our problems began on Thursday and continue with no resolve. There is a Verizon and AT&T phone also in my house that is working perfectly. Maybe it's time for a new carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I to am getting the "sms error - radio interface resource shortage" message on my phone periodically and is becoming a nuisance when trying to text.

Phone: HTC EVO 3D

Locations: San Antonio, Tx - 78211

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.