cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS not sending/failed attempts/delays in receipt. 757 area code.

Journeyman

Hi folks,

for the past couple of days, I've had problems sending SMS messages on my Epic. When I try to send a message to myself, another phone in the same area code, or phones in other area codes and parts of the US, one of the following happens:

1) Message fails to send ("Failed" in the messaging app), recipient may or may not receive it anyway

2) Message sends (Date/time listed in messaging app), recipient might receive multiple copies of same message, and/or there's a delay in receipt

3) Message rarely, rarely, actually goes through and is received in short order.

In addition, there's considerable delay in receiving SMS messages.

On the whole, it's very inconsistent behavior. I called *2, updated my profile, PRL, got transferred to tech support who said there are 3G problems in my area which might affect SMS messages. She had no other information such as time to fix, or whether or not these 3G problems are affecting SMS-- I can browse the internet, etc., on 3G without any problems.

Additional info: using a Samsung Epic, updated to latest Sprint/Android OS (2.2.1), updated PRL/profile, did battery pull, have full signal bars. Have not changed anything about my phone or installed anything otherwise in the recent past. I'm in the 757 area code, zip code is 23507.

Any suggestions/info?

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, waddya know: SMS seems to be working 100% now. No problems at all. Will mark this as "assumed answered" if no other problems crop up in the next couple of days.

Highlighted
Journeyman

All problems seem to be fixed. Marked "assumed answered."

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife and I both have HTC EVO 4Gs and a similar problem is still occuring. I am in 23321. I send a text and the person I'm texting gets 8-12 copies of the same text, and I get failed delivery messages quite often. Dropped calls are also a lot more frequent now (never had them before). I have updated everything possible and battery pulled/power cycled the crap out of the phone to no avail. Any ideas?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm in the 757 area code as well and my girlfriend and I have been having the same issues. It's not as bad today (2/28), but i have had to resend a few texts today. We have palm pre/pixi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

One of the things the Sprint rep did was update something on their end. It wasn't the same thing as updating profile on my phone. They asked me to turn my phone off, pull battery, did... something on their end. On rebooting the phone, after a couple of minutes I saw some brief message saying something was being updated. I wish I could recall exactly what it was doing.

I'd call *2, ask for tech support, and describe the problem to them. It might be something on their end.

In regards to DBUCKNER's message: I'd do the same thing: call *2. Earlier today I had to resend a text, but it went through quickly on the second try.

Have you noticed that 4G is working here in parts of 757? Sprint's tech support said that there's no record of 4G service here, but that they might be rolling it out and testing it. They also confirmed that if it's picking up a 4G signal, it's Sprint's 4G, and that there's no charge for it (we already pay $10 for this "perk"). It's FAST, but spotty.

Highlighted
Journeyman

All 5 of my phones on my Family plan are having this issue TODAY.  Slow texts.  No texts.  Failed attempts.  Some of my texts are showing up 4-5 hours after being sent.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Count me as having the issue as well.  Sprint is not admitting to anything though....if there is a problem, just say there is one, but telling me there isn't when clearly there is affecting a bunch of people makes me want to just cut my line of service and move on to another carrier

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is a network issue with Sprint.  When I called and got tech support on the line, I was escallated all the way to tier 3...from what I understand, there are equipment issues that are creating these errors (possibly from the installation of 4G into Hampton Roads).  Equipment was ordered and was to be delivered by 3/7/2011 with an aniticipated completion date of 04/2/11 for complete resotration of service.  You can call sprint tech support and reference the ticket # 6965123.  This is not a ticket that was created by me, but the ticket in regards to the equipment outage here in HR.  Not sure if Sprint was supposed to give me this information, but they did and I'm sharing it.  The more people who call and complain about it, the faster they move.  Hope this helps everyone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i have a rumor touch and i recently just had problems sending text. i could recieve. but it wouldnt send. and then not to mention sometime last month i was texting a friend. and someone else got the same exact text. different carrier and everything. i was confused at the issue and even tried to call customer service. but they couldnt come up with an explanation. so be careful what you text. haha

Highlighted
Journeyman

If no one has seen this:http://www.fox43tv.com/dpps/news/local/sprint-text-message-delay_3739549

Sprint text messages delayed

Hampton Roads experiences "capacity problem"

Updated: Monday, 07 Mar 2011, 12:47 PM EST
Published : Monday, 07 Mar 2011, 12:29 PM EST

HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) -  Sprint wireless customers may be seeing a delay in receiving text messages. A  spokesperson told WAVY.com the issue arose after the success of their  new line of Smart phones was released.

A viewer contacted us after encountering the issue several times last week.

A  spokesperson for Sprint told WAVY.com that the number of customers on  the network in the Hampton Roads area is experiencing a "capacity  problem." According to Kelly Schlageter with Sprint, the company needs  to add capacity to the network in the Hampton Roads area. She said the  problem is due to the success of new lines of Smart phones that have  been recently sold.

Additional capacity is expected to be added sometime this month. Schlageter did not give an exact date as to when that might be.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Excellent finds and updates, guys. Hopefully Sprint will rectify this soon. It's amusing to see how different people have been able to get different and more information.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.