cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPRINT LTE Network Coverage

Journeyman

Re: SPRINT LTE Network Coverage

so if your charging 10.00 xtra for the smartdata ,Why am i getting new costs explained as xtra charges incurred because sprint is getting charged??? sprint explaines it as they are incurring charges so they are passing the charges along to account holders this is at the very end of my bill sneaky sprint

I don't think Sprint will treat the lte market like they did with Wimax.  At the time they rolled out Wimax there was no 4g competition. Now people will be comparing apples to apples when it comes to 4g (lte) coverage.  They need to get comparable coverage with the competition if they intend on getting a significant market share.

Master

rick.spencer wrote:

I don't think Sprint will treat the lte market like they did with Wimax.  At the time they rolled out Wimax there was no 4g competition. Now people will be comparing apples to apples when it comes to 4g (lte) coverage.  They need to get comparable coverage with the competition if they intend on getting a significant market share.

Sprint is currently rolling out LTE along with Network Vision. This is a complete overhaul of our existing 3G network while adding 4G LTE on top of it. The entire Network Vision project is planned to be completed nationwide by the end of 2013. It is currently ahead of schedule. Rollout is already underway with our partners in some cities. LTE itself however will be turned on market by market when Srpint feels the coverage and performance is good enough in that Market to enable consumer use.

Journeyman

Sprint said the same thing about 4G network it will be rolled across the country and it never did. I've paid $10/mo for 2 years and never used the 4G network. So, next month when my contract expires I'll switch to a provider that has 4G/LTE coverage in my area. If I pay $10 more per month I expect to be able to use the service I purchased. Sprint is lying to us about coverage and LTE rollout plans. Even their 3G network sucks it is the slowest 3G among the 4 big players!

Journeyman

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

Sprint is currently rolling out LTE along with Network Vision. This is a complete overhaul of our existing 3G network while adding 4G LTE on top of it. The entire Network Vision project is planned to be completed nationwide by the end of 2013. It is currently ahead of schedule. Rollout is already underway with our partners in some cities. LTE itself however will be turned on market by market when Srpint feels the coverage and performance is good enough in that Market to enable consumer use.

Is there a complete listing of the Cities that are scheduled to be upgrade to LTE by end of 2013?  So far, I've only heard of 6.

Journeyman

Any "plans" that Sprint releases now are just that plans. When they started 4G rollout they said, sure buy Evo 4G to take advantage of the 4G speeds but you have to pay $10/mo. Well many areas are not covered by 4G yet they pay $10/mo. The official company line was "This pack would provide you extra bandwidth so that you can use internet 10 times faster speed than 3G.This pack is not related to the 4G coverage."

Makes no sense to me. How can I get 10x faster speeds when 3G is the only service available!?

Then the company changed the line saying it is for unlimitted data and yet it is a separate charge from the "unlimited" plan charge!?

It seems to me that they are charging for a service they never provided! And the same will happen with the LTE network. Few markets will receive this service and ALL subscribers will pay for it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

So basically in a nut sheel what you are saying is, Sprint will be doing the EXACT same thing it did with the 4G WiMax system. Meaning, that roughtly 70% of it's customers will never get LTE coverage as Sprint will deem it not marketable for their area. With that being said, I am confused on something, Does Sprint intend to lose more customers? Maybe have the majority of it's customers reduce their services because Sprint CHOOSES to either limit new service and/or not improve the 3G network to where it is competitve to the other cellualr companies? What determines an area to be marketable? Obviously Sprint has no plan to compensate those customers that won't be in the LTE netwrok coverage. Seeing how the zip code of where I live and the zip code as to where I work, aren't under the WiMax coverage, I can safely assume they won't be under the LTE coverage, which means, I won't have to worry about upgrading my phone period. I am however, going to test the local Sprint store and see if they try to "push" those phones even though the area won't be covered by  the LTE network, which in turn would prove my point that Sprint is all about sellling the phones to whomever and their stores will never be up front and honest when it comes to selling the phone. Thank you SPrint for finally being some what honest with your customers in regards to future coverage. I for one, will re-evaluate my options when my contract is up.

GrandMaster

www.s4gru has a ongoing list of cities that are either already being worked on or are next in line

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Exactly...And now I think I am switching back to Verizon. I may pay more, but as my Mama always said (God rest her beautiful soul) "You get what you pay for"...and I have learned that in most cases that is true, I am just  "learning" after my 2 years with EVO 4G, with NO 4G service and thru reading these forums, that Sprint is not gonna change their tactics.  I will pay more for VW, but I will have the network capable of handling the 4G LTE network provided by them.

I'm not gonna get another beast of a phone ( I love this new 4G LTE) and wait another 2 years for something Sprint makes empty promises for.

Adios Sprint and your lame network and your  "unlimited" catch phrase that limits my phone's ability...

VW may charge more , but they are spending more on their network, what is Sprint doing, always trying to catch up, yet releasing and touting phones that cannot be used to their ability, so they have to offer someting to bring suckers like me in. I knew there was a reason I left NEXTEL (then Sprint/NEXTEL) the first time.

I'm just not gonna be that frustrated person (customer) for the next 2 years.

Journeyman

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

rick.spencer wrote:

Pffftttt.  More propaganda and empty promises..."Oh get this 4G EVO phone, you are gonna have the fasted phone (network) avail...HAHA.  When??  Not for the last 2 years.

Oh and Hmmm, VW seems to feel that the coverage and performance is "good enough" in MY market...really??  that's Sprint's expectations..."Good enough" what a joke.

Journeyman

Nowhere in that did he say you need to buy a phone. They made a mistake before I am sure they paid for it in money. If you don't like the service then go to Verizon and leave your agenda at the door. Whats the point of putting up half a system and overloading it and spending more time repairing and dealing with the flak from more customers.

Master

warrior391 wrote:

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

rick.spencer wrote:

Pffftttt.  More propaganda and empty promises..."Oh get this 4G EVO phone, you are gonna have the fasted phone (network) avail...HAHA.  When??  Not for the last 2 years.

Oh and Hmmm, VW seems to feel that the coverage and performance is "good enough" in MY market...really??  that's Sprint's expectations..."Good enough" what a joke.

You can choose to believe or not believe anything you want. The fact is that with the 4G WiMax rolliut Sprint had an agreement with Clearwire to deploy the network, and Sprint would just piggyback off of their rollout. Many other companies like Comcast and Time Warner Cable also helped finance this rollout by Clearwire. The 4G LTE deployment is entirely different. Sprint is directly overseeing the Network Vision 3G overhaul and LTE deployment, not relying on another company to do so. The NV deployment is being conducted by three different companies (Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, and Samsung). The actual technology used in NV has won awards for its innovation. No other wireless company has ever attempted a complete overhaul of their network with a timeline to have EVERY tower converted within a 2 year timeframe.

The difference here is that LTE is not being ADDED to towers like WiMax was while leaving the 3G the same. The entire tower is being replaced, including all of the 3G equipment, with the Network Vision deployment. At the same time iDEN is being decommissioned, and the spectrum re-allocated for use by CDMA and LTE as the rollout progresses.

As it is currently, including both CDMA and iDEN technologies, Sprint has around 82,000 towers nationwide. Most of these are completely redundant, are too close together for current congestion, or are so outdated that they are operating poorly due to age. Most other nationwide carriers have around 40,000 sites. Sprint is operating essentially two complete nationwide networks, and it costs a ton to do so. Network Vision will reduce the overall cost of maintaining the network itself, increase the coverage and capability of our network due to innovations with network handoff, spectrum allocation, and the ability for the network to dynamically manage itself without sending a network engineer out to a tower to adjust it.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.