Did you mean: 

SPRINT LTE Network Coverage

Journeyman

Re: SPRINT LTE Network Coverage

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

warrior391 wrote:

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

rick.spencer wrote:

I don't think Sprint will treat the lte market like they did with Wimax.  At the time they rolled out Wimax there was no 4g competition. Now people will be comparing apples to apples when it comes to 4g (lte) coverage.  They need to get comparable coverage with the competition if they intend on getting a significant market share.

Sprint is currently rolling out LTE along with Network Vision. This is a complete overhaul of our existing 3G network while adding 4G LTE on top of it. The entire Network Vision project is planned to be completed nationwide by the end of 2013. It is currently ahead of schedule. Rollout is already underway with our partners in some cities. LTE itself however will be turned on market by market when Srpint feels the coverage and performance is good enough in that Market to enable consumer use.

Pffftttt.  More propaganda and empty promises..."Oh get this 4G EVO phone, you are gonna have the fasted phone (network) avail...HAHA.  When??  Not for the last 2 years.

Oh and Hmmm, VW seems to feel that the coverage and performance is "good enough" in MY market...really??  that's Sprint's expectations..."Good enough" what a joke.

You can choose to believe or not believe anything you want. The fact is that with the 4G WiMax rolliut Sprint had an agreement with Clearwire to deploy the network, and Sprint would just piggyback off of their rollout. Many other companies like Comcast and Time Warner Cable also helped finance this rollout by Clearwire. The 4G LTE deployment is entirely different. Sprint is directly overseeing the Network Vision 3G overhaul and LTE deployment, not relying on another company to do so. The NV deployment is being conducted by three different companies (Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, and Samsung). The actual technology used in NV has won awards for its innovation. No other wireless company has ever attempted a complete overhaul of their network with a timeline to have EVERY tower converted within a 2 year timeframe.

The difference here is that LTE is not being ADDED to towers like WiMax was while leaving the 3G the same. The entire tower is being replaced, including all of the 3G equipment, with the Network Vision deployment. At the same time iDEN is being decommissioned, and the spectrum re-allocated for use by CDMA and LTE as the rollout progresses.

As it is currently, including both CDMA and iDEN technologies, Sprint has around 82,000 towers nationwide. Most of these are completely redundant, are too close together for current congestion, or are so outdated that they are operating poorly due to age. Most other nationwide carriers have around 40,000 sites. Sprint is operating essentially two complete nationwide networks, and it costs a ton to do so. Network Vision will reduce the overall cost of maintaining the network itself, increase the coverage and capability of our network due to innovations with network handoff, spectrum allocation, and the ability for the network to dynamically manage itself without sending a network engineer out to a tower to adjust it.

Ok, I understand that...(kinda) but why launce phones before they have the network to match up with the phone's capabilities and tell customers..."it's coming"... (To compete in the actual hardware market)

4G was "coming" for 2 years and I still don't have it...So,  and any idea when Michigan will have LTE?

So, if I understand, Clearwire and 4G was a bust and Sprint took the hit by not having the 4G available to them as promised by Clearwire? (in laymens terms)

Thanks

GrandMaster

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

As it is currently, including both CDMA and iDEN technologies, Sprint has around 82,000 towers nationwide. Most of these are completely redundant, are too close together for current congestion, or are so outdated that they are operating poorly due to age.

so will some of these towers be removed or will they get upgraded as well.

also the upgrades they will be doing will also allow them to see LIVE what is going on with each tower...so if you call in with a tower issue they will see on the go what is happening with that tower. not later on when a ticket finaly comes through to them...this alone is a huge step

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

fireguy_6364 wrote:

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

As it is currently, including both CDMA and iDEN technologies, Sprint has around 82,000 towers nationwide. Most of these are completely redundant, are too close together for current congestion, or are so outdated that they are operating poorly due to age.

so will some of these towers be removed or will they get upgraded as well.

also the upgrades they will be doing will also allow them to see LIVE what is going on with each tower...so if you call in with a tower issue they will see on the go what is happening with that tower. not later on when a ticket finaly comes through to them...this alone is a huge step

Redundant towers are going to be removed. Every tower costs money to operate, if removing the tower makes no difference to the coverage provided, it will be decommissioned and removed to save on the network operation costs.As it is Sprint is soending more than double our competitors on just maintaining the network, Network Vision will correct this while improving service and allowing for overall performance increases. Not all of hte benefits will be visible to customers. Many of the advantages are behind the scenes changes, but overall it is a complete overhaul that allows Sprint to get the network up to speed and be more competitive.

GrandMaster

so much for the tower within throwing distance to me lol...ok maybe 2 throws.....3 tops

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:
As it is Sprint is soending more than double our competitors on just maintaining the network, Network Vision will correct this while improving service and allowing for overall performance increases.

What do you mean here?  I'm sure the NV will help increase performance but maybe I'm not understanding the comment about "double our competitors".

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's great that Sprint is attempting to improve their networks. I think the major issue is being missed altogether. That issue is, why Sprint at first said 4G/LTE nationwide coverage, then restated the coverage would be the same as the current WiMax, now the statement of coverage is WE will TRY to go nationwide, however, it will be based on market to market. basically saying, there will be NO nationwide coverage and only several select markets will get it because it's finanically feasible. At the same time, they are pushing a 4G/LTE for customers to buy, trues, we don;'t have to buy the phone, but why offer the phone nationwide if the network for the phone isn't going to be nationwide. As of now, with Sprint, seeing is believeing. There are alot of people on here that rightfully complain about the service, the hetwork coverage and lack of notification to it's customers about network coverage changes. The WiMax network is a good example of that. For 3 years, Sprint said WiMax was coming to an area near you, it wasn't until late last year, that you read about how they were no longer expanding the WiMax network any further than it is. Sprint didn't notify it's customers as they should have. As I stated in a previous post, I still ask the question as to what the criteria is for a market area to get the 4G/LTE? Why has Sprint chosen to limit this network instead of striving to make it nationwide? Going nationwide is not stating the 4G/LTE coverage will only be available in select market areas. If you can't make the network available for ALL your customers then why bother to attempt to bring up that network.

Journeyman

Meaning if we are running more towers that each cost money to maintain and we can upgrade remove towers we are saving money, if his data is correct sprint has many more towers than the competitors but they are not running as well so the upgrade will fix that and save money.

Journeyman

@JTMax wrote:

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:
As it is Sprint is soending more than double our competitors on just maintaining the network, Network Vision will correct this while improving service and allowing for overall performance increases.

What do you mean here?  I'm sure the NV will help increase performance but maybe I'm not understanding the comment about "double our competitors".

Think he meant Sprint in "spending" more $, double the competitors, just to maintain their network, so getting rid of redundant towers will reduce costs.

Master

USAFARFF wrote:

It's great that Sprint is attempting to improve their networks. I think the major issue is being missed altogether. That issue is, why Sprint at first said 4G/LTE nationwide coverage, then restated the coverage would be the same as the current WiMax, now the statement of coverage is WE will TRY to go nationwide, however, it will be based on market to market. basically saying, there will be NO nationwide coverage and only several select markets will get it because it's finanically feasible. At the same time, they are pushing a 4G/LTE for customers to buy, trues, we don;'t have to buy the phone, but why offer the phone nationwide if the network for the phone isn't going to be nationwide. As of now, with Sprint, seeing is believeing. There are alot of people on here that rightfully complain about the service, the hetwork coverage and lack of notification to it's customers about network coverage changes. The WiMax network is a good example of that. For 3 years, Sprint said WiMax was coming to an area near you, it wasn't until late last year, that you read about how they were no longer expanding the WiMax network any further than it is. Sprint didn't notify it's customers as they should have. As I stated in a previous post, I still ask the question as to what the criteria is for a market area to get the 4G/LTE? Why has Sprint chosen to limit this network instead of striving to make it nationwide? Going nationwide is not stating the 4G/LTE coverage will only be available in select market areas. If you can't make the network available for ALL your customers then why bother to attempt to bring up that network.

Officially Sprint launched the 4G WiMax in all of the cities that it announced would get it, as I already posted, the WiMax launch was completely dependent on Clearwire deploying it. The NV/LTE rollout is being managed internally by Sprint this time around, and is already ahead of schedule in most areas that it has begun.

Where was official information posted about the Network Vision/LTE rollout not being nationwide, across the entire network? Network Vision itself HAS to be nationwide across every single tower to be cost-effective for Sprint. LTE is part of the Network Vision rollout.

As each market around the country is upgraded as part of Network Vision, LTE is added to those towers, once Network Vision is complete in that market and tested, LTE will be enabled. I'm not sure where the discrepancy is here. This is exactly the same information that has been available since NV started rolling out, nothing has changed with the rollout plans other than it going ahead of schedule.

Journeyman

I think USAFARFF was coming from the statement you posted above which contradicts what you just said...

"halcyoncmdr123 said:... LTE itself however will be turned on market by market when Sprint feels the coverage and performance is good enough in that Market to enable consumer use."

that statement contradicts with (or not explained clearly enough):

"halcyoncmdr123 said:...As each market around the country is upgraded as part of Network Vision, LTE is added to those towers, once Network Vision is complete in that market and tested, LTE will be enabled"

RB

Journeyman

GrandMaster

both those comments you posted go hand in hand. "when sprint feels the coverage and performance is good enough in that market to enable consumer use" means completed and tested. until it hits the standards they want with the testing then it will be unleashed. until then theyre still fine tuning it.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.