cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPRINT LTE Network Coverage

Journeyman

SPRINT LTE Network Coverage

Do we know if sprint has any plans to expand the LTE network coverage ? And is there any time line?

If I sign 2 yr contract and get this HTC EVO 4g LTE and sprint can't bring in the LTE n/w coverage in

my area (Central Virginia) in 2 yrs, it would be waste of my money.. right ?

Or am I missing something here ?

174 REPLIES 174
Wizard

Re: SPRINT LTE Network Coverage

We definitely have plans to expand the LTE network coverage, the latest official announcements can be found at http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/. So far Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Baltimore, Kansas City and San Antonio have been announced as some of the first markets receiving Sprint's LTE coverage. There hasn't been any timeline announced officially. As far as a waste of money in my opinion no, because you are still getting a very nice phone hardware wise, I just would not advise of purchasing it based off the fact 4G LTE is coming to your area because as of now it has not been announced officially for Virginia area.

Click here to see the latest news on our Network Vision updates!

Journeyman

Thank you for the response. But I don't understand is do I need to pay $10/mo extra just to have a better hardware piece in my hand

with no proper network support ???

I have SERO Premium with Plam Pre phone. And wanted to get new phone and new phone also going to work/use same resources

as plam Pre. But sprint asking $10 extra monthly. Ofcourse if there is proper 4G coverage and expectation of LTE support in near future,

don't mind spending more. Is there anything that SPRINT can do to keep customers with sprint or it's like LET GO ?

Master

The LTE rollout had the exact same roadmap as the Network Vision upgrades. As the entire network is overhauled to utilize newer technology, LTE will be added to the towers. At the moment the Netowrk Vision upgrades are on track to be completed across our entire network by the end of 2013.

Wizard

The true reason for the extra $10 is due to the increased costs associated with operating smartphones on the Sprint network and that smartphones on average use 10x as much data as a feature/basic phone; it is not for 4G data of any kind, unfortunately a lot of misinformation was out there regarding this.

Click here to see the latest news on our Network Vision updates!

Journeyman

Shane_M,

Thanks for quick response. Thats exactly what I don't understand. As per SPRINT, plam pre is smart phone and a $10 premium has been

added sometime last year to my account just because I am using smart phone. I thought its reasonable, so haven't asked any questions then.

Now I want to upgrade to iPhone, which is a smart phone like palm Pre. But why +$10 again now ? Can someone explain ? Or is it like,

any change keep adding $10 ?

Thanks

Master

If you already have the $10 Premium Data add-on on that phone line then it does not need to be added again for a new phone. If you currently are not paying the $10 Premium Data charge and are upgrading to a smartphone then it will be required to activate that new phone.

Journeyman

I would say that you would be wasting your money but having a phone to be "future proof" is kind of worth it. I guess it really doesn't matter. I still have a sour taste in my mouth from purchasing a WIMAX phone. I remember I purchased my Evo 3d when they were "trying" out the 4g WIMAX here in california but it never expanded and NEVER happened. I get no 4g coverage but 2 cities a few hundred miles from me in California do. Personally it is worth it to upgrade to the hardware as I don't see sprint dropping support from LTE as they did with the disappointing WIMAX situation. I think everyone who bought a wimax phone and doesn't get 4g should get a credit for their next upgrade seeing as how we are paying that $10 extra on top of buying their failed attempt at upgrading their network and then deciding to do something that they should have done to begin with. I'm thinking that maybe I should switch carriers because they will not have 4g LTE here for another 6-10 years. Still factoring in pricing and wondering if I can get the same or equal to my employee discount elsewhere. My suggestion to you is to bite and purchase that EVO 4G LTE if you plan on staying with sprint.

@Phoenix82 $10 Premium Data add-on has nothing to do with 4G at all,It is there because newer smart phones use a lot more data then ever before.

Journeyman

halcyoncmdr123,

I am already paying premium $10 on my account for the current line. You can check my account to confirm.

If I don't have to pay $10 extra, I will pslace pre-order for EVO 4G LTE today itelf

Appreciate if you can check and confirm ? When I tried last time to upgrade to iPhone online, it asked for $10 extra

thanks

Journeyman

Yeah sure it is. Why was it even considered a SEPERATE charge then? Why not just include it in the plans? Wouldn't it have been better to just redo prices? If you hadn't noticed the "FEE" was imposed on just the EVO 4G in the beginning. Explain that???

Journeyman

I live in Los Angeles and will be able to upgrade in july tired of my epic 4g will lte be here already i would like to get a lte phone but only if its in la 3g is to slow and i have 4g coverage in my area but i want a new phone

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.