cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPRINT NETWORK DROPPING CALLS EVERYTIME YOU CHANGE A TOWER CHICAGO LAND AND SUBUR. Complaints!!

Journeyman

Re: SPRINT NETWORK DROPPING CALLS EVERYTIME YOU CHANGE A TOWER CHICAGO LAND AND SUBUR. Complaints!!

J_Walker88 wrote:

So report them to the BBB for what?  What's the BBB going to tell Sprint, to stop spending billions on Network Vision upgrades, fiber and microwave backhaul, and put the legacy equipment back in so you can continue to enjoy their slow, garbage network for eternity?  The problem will sort itself out as more towers are upgraded.  While you're at it, why don't you report Samsung, since they're partly responsible for the engineering nightmare that's causing your problems.

Samsung is largely to blame but the whiney trolls don't know anything about that, so they're just going to try and stir sh¡t with customers and for all we know these could be competing companies trying to drive customers away and Sprint into the ground. Becky_g22, HDUSA, and lavellnotafanosprint seem to be just flooding the forums with crap, and continually spamming.

Journeyman

Re: SPRINT NETWORK DROPPING CALLS EVERYTIME YOU CHANGE A TOWER CHICAGO LAND AND SUBUR. Complaints!!

Ok, Mr. "educated customer"

As much as the Network Vision Tower 3G/4G LTE upgrades are welcome as Sprint has horrible reception and data rates compared to ALL other major carriers, we are still paying for service we are simply not getting and Sprint should have done this a long time ago when they got the huge income boost from phones like the original Evo 4G which I bought day 1. 

Thanks to Sprint's bad service as of late, I have had even an important JOB INTERVIEW call dropped and had to apologize to the person interviewing me (and didn't get the job, unfortunately).  I drive on major expressways and through large towns and still get dropped calls, this is the year 2012 and I am not living in the boonies!  Also, at my old job I would not be able to make calls while Verizon/AT&T/US Cellular/T-Mobile customers can walk through the entire building and make calls without effort.  I would have 1 to no bars and 1x while someone next to me would be having a conversation effortlessly or using the internet on their phone.  And my job always had that problem, so network updates cannot be used as the excuse!

A lot of us rely on our cell phones for business along with leisure, bill paying, etc.  Funny that Verizon, AT&T (although more expensive and why I chose Sprint initially) also had to do upgrades but still seemed to have reception and their data rate is much, much higher even on 3G.

Also, Sprint's customer service used to work with you and seemed a lot nicer before, now their customer service seems not to care about their customers.  One was even interrupting me as I spoke and when I said she was interrupting me, she laughed.  But she hated it when I did it to her and she actually pawned me off to someone else, so I got a private victory there. 

For "educated customer" above, you do sound like an employee since you seem to know so much about the specifics and your "God complex" answers.  I greatly dislike and know people like you, you are speaking hypothetical and have that "I am so smart" attitude.  Has the network upgrades happened yet in Chicago?  Will it fix the dropped calls and will we see "greatly increased speeds" as you like to say?  I am glad you can see into the future but I prefer to use FACTS in my arguments and I don't have to try to belittle people that have very valid arguments to make myself feel better, try it some time?

Sprint's 3G speed are atrocious even before the network upgrades and 4G is barely existant, so will 4G LTE be the same?  When you pay for a phone and get locked into the contract, you are supposed to get the goods on their end.  On your end, you are expected to pay your bill on time.  On their end, they are supposed to provide phone and data service to us.  We do not do our end, they shut down your service, what about us?  What can we do when we pay for something and it does not even work?  Nothing, they happily accept our same (actually, getting more expensive) payments and offer no incentives for their dropped calls and bad reception in places there is no excuse to have it.  If I lived deep in the woods in Kentucky it would be different, I would expect to have shoddy reception but I am in towns with 10,000+ people and getting poor reception!

Also, since you know so much....I have seen the Monee tower which serves my area and it is out for upgrades. But me and my friends have been past there quite a few times during weekdays and no work is being done to the tower, saw Sprint there once!  They appear to be working "so hard to get these upgrades out for us".

Journeyman

M09856 wrote:

Samsung is largely to blame but the whiney trolls don't know anything about that, so they're just going to try and stir sh¡t with customers and for all we know these could be competing companies trying to drive customers away and Sprint into the ground. Becky_g22, HDUSA, and lavellnotafanosprint seem to be just flooding the forums with ****, and continually spamming.

And what is it you are doing, wonderful one? I do not know what a "whiney troll" is but if there is such a thing you are it!  Now it is a conspiracy and we are all "employees from competing cell phone companies" and we are "driving Sprint into the ground".  Are you seriously that thick or do you actually say things to believe them yourself? 

Samsung is to blame?  I do not have a contract with Samsung, my contract says SPRINT on it.  I am sending money to Sprint not Samsung, in return for my money I am getting 45-60% of the service I am paying a premium for as is a lot of people here and a lot of people I know. 

Since you are so pro-Sprint, which is fine (I used to be back when they cared) how come Sprint sent me a brochure stating how great the new network will be but failed to warn me that I may get bad service as they work on their network?  Upgrades should not mean disruption of service, the other networks seemed to uprade their towers just fine without bad service interruptions.  So without warning, my service went to pretty good to poor and when you call them, you get a different answer everytime and they claim towers are down....how long can it take to put a tower up or fix a broken one?  6 months or more according to Sprint.  I think a brand new cell network can be made in that time. 

I frankly wish I was a customer of another carrier, so I wish I was what you accused us of being.  Yes, Sprint has the best plans and truly unlimited but I would rather pay a little more and be able to rely on my phone when I need it. 

Remove your tin-foil hat buddy, this is not a conspiracy it is quite real and we are not corporate thugs from other cell phone networks destroying Sprint...they are doing a fine job of that without our help!  I am a formerly content customer that hss to live with this until they fix it....I just feel it could be done much smoother and much faster. 

Journeyman

NOTE: The conspiracy you speak of is in regards to something I said for the lulz.

I have said this several times, I'm not a Sprint employee.

4G is going on every single cell tower that Sprint owns. Sprint has selected 3 OEMs (Original Equipment Manufactures), those OEMs are Samsung, Alcatel-Lucent, and Ericsson. The OEMs are required to roll out 3G EVDO Rev A and 4G LTE Release 9 on all 38,541 Sprint cell towers in their designated regions. Back haul to most cell towers that Sprint provides service with is provided via multiple T1s using MLPPP to bond these into one large connection. The use of T1s results in slow service for the customers as they're only 1.5Mbit each and as far as I know (This may be wrong) Sprint only deploys a maximum of 15 T1s before they switch to AAV (Alternate Access Vendor) back haul which can be provided over Fiber, Ethernet, or Microwave.

Sprint is requiring that all 38,541 cell towers get Fiber, Ethernet, or Microwave which will resolve most issues with slow data and high latency, beyond that they will need to buy more spectrum. Sprint is also decommissioning the iDEN network that Nextel service uses so they can use SMR 850Mhz to improve coverage and in building penetration so you will see roughly the same signal levels indoors just as those on other carriers with lower frequency spectrum holdings. You will get LTE everywhere you get 3G after all upgrades are complete.

Look at this map see for yourself how big Sprint markets are. It takes time to replace every single tower in each of these markets. Problems will persist in the Chicago market until all of the cell towers your phone can possibly connect to in your immediate area are upgraded.

http://i.imgur.com/rnCk2.jpg

Journeyman

The problem has been decidedly worse in the past couple of months but this transition has been going on over a year. The quality of service is brutal. My contract expires next month and they couldn't give me enough "freebies" to stay. Verizon has a new bundled package that is a bit pricey, but their coverage is exceptional.

Journeyman

M09856 wrote:

NOTE: The conspiracy you speak of is in regards to something I said for the lulz.

4G is going on every single cell tower that Sprint owns. Sprint has selected 3 OEMs (Original Equipment Manufactures), those OEMs are Samsung, Alcatel-Lucent, and Ericsson. The OEMs are required to roll out 3G EVDO Rev A and 4G LTE Release 9 on all 38,541 Sprint cell towers in their designated regions. Back haul to most cell towers that Sprint provides service with is provided via multiple T1s using MLPPP to bond these into one large connection. The use of T1s results in slow service for the customers as they're only 1.5Mbit each and as far as I know (This may be wrong) Sprint only deploys a maximum of 15 T1s before they switch to AAV (Alternate Access Vendor) back haul which can be provided over Fiber, Ethernet, or Microwave.

Sprint is requiring that all 38,541 cell towers get Fiber, Ethernet, or Microwave which will resolve most issues with slow data and high latency, beyond that they will need to buy more spectrum. Sprint is also decommissioning the iDEN network that Nextel service uses so they can use SMR 850Mhz to improve coverage and in building penetration so you will see roughly the same signal levels indoors just as those on other carriers with lower frequency spectrum holdings. You will get LTE everywhere you get 3G after all upgrades are complete.

Look at this map see for yourself how big Sprint markets are. It takes time to replace every single tower in each of these markets. Problems will persist in the Chicago market until all of the cell towers your phone can possibly connect to in your immediate area are upgraded.

Keep your posts like this and I would not have even said anything to you.  We all have a right to our opinions and yes, the new network looks very promising but Sprint is losing a lot of loyal customers because the largest thing is they failed to warn people that service disruptions were likely.  Instead, you have to dial *2 and sit around going through automated systems, only to get a generic answer ("Tower outages"). 

My 3 best friends also have Sprint, one runs a computer business using his cell phone as the customer service part and he says it is very bad for his business when he is trying to talk to sometimes already irate customers and then he loses signal.  Here is a comparison of major carriers in my experience.

Verizon: Superior network and coverage, much faster, 4G LTE and 3G many times faster than Sprint.  Had to also upgrade for 4G LTE and was basically seamless.  Just expensive overall but worth it IMHO.

AT&T:  Coverage not as much as Verizon but mostly excellent, very fast 4G LTE, superior 3G to Sprint.  In between Sprint and Verizon as far as prices.  4G LTE upgrade seamless (my girlfiend has AT&T)

US Cellular: Had it before, in the Chicagoland area better coverage than Sprint.  Decent plan prices, 3G and 4G LTE kills Sprint data speed. 4G LTE upgrade seamless.

T-Mobile: Excellent service at mostly decent prices.  Again 3G and 4G much faster than Sprint.  Upgrade to 4G was seamless and barely noticed. 

Sprint: Best prices and best plan prices.  Great phone selection.  Poor 3G speeds and very limited 4G network.  Network upgrades seriously hampering user experiences, coming way too slow and way behind  the other carriers. Many dropped calls and unexplainable dead spots in well populated areas. 

Sprint after upgrade (big maybe): Consistancy rather than raw speed.  No dropped calls thanks to handshaking and improved 3G/4G performance plus 4G LTE. 

Lets hope my decision not to jump ship yet pays off but I feel seriously jaded.  Too bad Sprint has had the most problems of all and are way late in the game to boot.   But the prices and phone selection still very good.

Journeyman

RICHARDSIMON wrote:

M09856 wrote:

Keep your posts like this and I would not have even said anything to you.  We all have a right to our opinions and yes, the new network looks very promising but Sprint is losing a lot of loyal customers because the largest thing is they failed to warn people that service disruptions were likely.  Instead, you have to dial *2 and sit around going through automated systems, only to get a generic answer ("Tower outages"). 

My 3 best friends also have Sprint, one runs a computer business using his cell phone as the customer service part and he says it is very bad for his business when he is trying to talk to sometimes already irate customers and then he loses signal.  Here is a comparison of major carriers in my experience.

Verizon: Superior network and coverage, much faster, 4G LTE and 3G many times faster than Sprint.  Had to also upgrade for 4G LTE and was basically seamless.  Just expensive overall but worth it IMHO.

AT&T:  Coverage not as much as Verizon but mostly excellent, very fast 4G LTE, superior 3G to Sprint.  In between Sprint and Verizon as far as prices.  4G LTE upgrade seamless (my girlfiend has AT&T)

US Cellular: Had it before, in the Chicagoland area better coverage than Sprint.  Decent plan prices, 3G and 4G LTE kills Sprint data speed. 4G LTE upgrade seamless.

T-Mobile: Excellent service at mostly decent prices.  Again 3G and 4G much faster than Sprint.  Upgrade to 4G was seamless and barely noticed. 

Sprint: Best prices and best plan prices.  Great phone selection.  Poor 3G speeds and very limited 4G network.  Network upgrades seriously hampering user experiences, coming way too slow and way behind  the other carriers. Many dropped calls and unexplainable dead spots in well populated areas. 

Sprint after upgrade (big maybe): Consistancy rather than raw speed.  No dropped calls thanks to handshaking and improved 3G/4G performance plus 4G LTE. 

Lets hope my decision not to jump ship yet pays off but I feel seriously jaded.  Too bad Sprint has had the most problems of all and are way late in the game to boot.   But the prices and phone selection still very good.

Tell your friend who runs the computer business to get http://voip.ms/ and give his customers his new number. You can't rely on wireless because so many things can cause problems regardless of the carrier.

Sprint will have 20% greater signal strength due to the fact that they're mounting the radios behind the antennas this uses something called a Remote Radio Head or Remote Radio Unit (RRH or RRU). This means that you will get better signal in general on top of having SMR-800 to fill in whatever gaps PCS 1900 can't. The reason current Sprint 4G is spotty is because it's provided by clearwire using WiMAX on 2500-2600Mhz which doesn't propagate well at all so that's why it's spotty and slow.

Sprint's roll out is much more traumatic than other carriers have been. Sprint is replacing everything, not just adding LTE equipment to their current towers or HSPA+ support to their existing base stations (in the case of AT&T and T-Mobile before LTE).

Sprint has a higher tower density when compared to other carriers so you will see better average speeds on LTE when compared to other carriers. Most other carriers are only deploying LTE on lower frequencies which tend to pick up a lot of noise and cause degradation in signal quality. They're using 10x10Mhz carriers on towers further apart which means they're likely to have more customers on a single tower at any given time. Even with sprint only deploying LTE on a 5x5Mhz LTE carrier they're still going to end up with more capacity because they have smaller cells. Sprint has enough spectrum to deploy another 5x5Mhz LTE carrier on the PCS 1900 Band in most areas so they will have even more capacity per tower. Sprint can also use software to upgrade thier LTE towers from release 9 to release 10 which is LTE Advanced. LTE Advanced supports upstream MIMO wich will increase upload throughput.

I've used Verizon LTE and they're not very fast at least in my area, I've been able to top out at 10Mbit/s and maybe average 5Mbit/s down and 1-2Mbit/s up. Verizon only has 5% LTE Adoption so you'll have to take that into account, they're extremely fast in some areas because they don't have many users on their network, the same is true for AT&T.

I haven't used USC as they're not available in my area and the last time I used T-Mobile I had a dumb phone so I can't comment much on their data. From what I've read it can vary greatly depending on what area you're in though.

Journeyman

M09856 wrote:

J_Walker88 wrote:

So report them to the BBB for what?  What's the BBB going to tell Sprint, to stop spending billions on Network Vision upgrades, fiber and microwave backhaul, and put the legacy equipment back in so you can continue to enjoy their slow, garbage network for eternity?  The problem will sort itself out as more towers are upgraded.  While you're at it, why don't you report Samsung, since they're partly responsible for the engineering nightmare that's causing your problems.

Samsung is largely to blame but the whiney trolls don't know anything about that, so they're just going to try and stir sh¡t with customers and for all we know these could be competing companies trying to drive customers away and Sprint into the ground. Becky_g22, HDUSA, and lavellnotafanosprint seem to be just flooding the forums with ****, and continually spamming.

All I can say is LOL!  That is quite the reach.  Not a troll, not a competing company.  Simply sharing options for those who are disastisfied with subpar service.  You said it yourself, you haven't had dropped calls.  You cannot relate and understand why people are upset when their phones are rendered useless.  When you have a phone that doesn't work for calls, you are going to have upset people despite whatever "greatness" may be coming in the future.  It is not enough to tell people to stop whining and wait.  But you don't seem to understand that since you are one of the fortunate that have a phone that works. 

And as a sidenote, I don't really care if the result is that customers are driven away and Sprint is driven into the ground.  They have continually shown they do not care about the customer, so frankly I don't care about them.  And I do have to love the opposing posts on here of "why are you contacting the BBB, it's not going to do anything" to suddenly I am going to be "driving Sprint into the ground."  Hilarious. 

Journeyman

Becky your just clueless..MO is giving you the technical explantion but it's obvious that is way over your head so I'll try a different route. How exactly is you reporting Sprint to the BBB doing anything useful? Your mad because your having spotty service and you think by doing this it's going to get better? Here's a clue, they are already in the process of fixing the network so again what does you getting upset and "reporting" them going to do? Nothing that's what. Your not happy with Sprint's service then fine that's understandable. Your completely free to go try another carrier it's your call. But to come here and rant and rave and call for a strike or whatever it is your doing is just immature and frankly childish. Sprint can get a million complaints but they are in a lose lose situation. They either make no changes and get no LTE and people complain that their service is to slow or that they don't have LTE. Then they decide to overhaul their ENTIRE network to give people what they want and then people like you whine and complain that service is bad while there doing it. You can't have it both ways, and whether you like to admit or not when this Network Vision strategy is complete, impatient people who once cried and complained every second will be reaping the benefits of this. And it will still be unlimited data which is something no other carrier can say. So as I have stated to many people here it comes down to choices. Stay with Sprint through the overhaul or go try your luck with someone else. Your pathetic posts are nothing more than you venting your anger for something you do have the ability to change if you see fit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Becky your just clueless..MO is giving you the technical explantion but it's obvious that is way over your head so I'll try a different route.

Hmmmmm....you are calling me immature and childish below, but you are doing the name calling.  Enough said on that point.

How exactly is you reporting Sprint to the BBB doing anything useful? Your mad because your having spotty service and you think by doing this it's going to get better? Here's a clue, they are already in the process of fixing the network so again what does you getting upset and "reporting" them going to do? Nothing that's what.

I am happy to explain.  It is means to an end.  When one is unhappy with the service they receive as a consumer, they have the option to contact the BBB who will act as an intermediate.  I am looking for them to terminate my 5 lines without me having to pay a penalty.  Since trying to deal with Sprint directly was nearly impossible, this is the next route I have chosen to take to get the resolution I desire.

Your not happy with Sprint's service then fine that's understandable. Your completely free to go try another carrier it's just a phone call away.

See above.  As soon as I can get released from my contract, I am planning on doing this.  I should add I am a Sprint customer of 10+ years, pretty sad.

But to come here and rant and rave and call for a strike or whatever it is your doing is just immature and frankly childish.

Honestly, you are the one who seems to be pretty fired up, ranting and raving.  I have been very respectful in all my responses and sharing of information with others who are in the same position as myself. 

Sprint can get a million complaints but they are in a lose lose situation. They either make no changes and get no LTE and people complain that their service is to slow or that they don't have LTE. Then they decide to overhaul their ENTIRE network to give people what they want and then people like you whine and complain that service is bad while there doing it. You can't have it both ways, and whether you like to admit or not when this Network Vision strategy is complete, impatient people who once cried and complained every second will be reaping the benefits of this. And it will still be unlimited data which is soemthing no other carrier can say.

I have said it before and I will say it again.  What is coming down the pipeline service may be the best ever, but when I currently have a phone that can't even make a phone call on and off for months, that is a problem.  In business it is all about managing expectations.  If Sprint had done that with customers, been upfront or honest, apologized when things got bad, I doubt you would see so many people upset.  But instead people were lied too, passed off, given inaccurate dates, inconsitent information, etc.  That is why there are people are upset.  If Sprint is in a lose-lose situation, it is nobody's fault but their own.

So as I have stated to many people here it comes down to choices. Stay with Sprint through the overhaul or go try your luck with someone else. Your pathetic posts are nothing more than you venting your anger for something you do have the ability to change if you see fit.

Again, see above, I would like nothing more than to move onto another carrier, unfortunately a money tree does not grow in my backyard so I will go the proper routes to see if Sprint is willing to waive my ETFs due to lack of service.  I also  believe I have the ability to change my situation and that is what I am doing with contacting the BBB, like it or not.  And watch out with the name calling because it seems like you are the ones having issues with venting your anger.   

Journeyman

Well becky now that you have clarified what your reasoning is I can respect your postition. You should have made it clear that was the intention with your original post, instead I took it as you were reporting Sprint for having bad service as just a way to be spiteful as some of the other people on this board have done. But I would say that in your original post you should have included the third option which is one that myself and a couple of other posters here defending Sprint have decided to take. And that is to ride it out for the long haul in knowing what the end result will be. I'm not trying to mandate everyone do this, I just want people who are having problems to know that it will be better IF they can wait out this rough patch. That's why myself and others just post facts about the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. As you said not everyone can or is willing to wait which is why I always tell people to find something that suites them better if they are not happy. I do understand not everyone can afford the ETF so it would be nice to include in your post that a way to maybe get that waived would be reporting to the BBB. Again I have no problem with any steps one might take to better their situation, I just take offense to people who do or say things in spite because they are upset and unwilling to try anything substantial to remedy it. Good luck with your situation, maybe when Sprint finishes this whole overhaul you can come back and give it a try.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.