cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Issues in Indianapolis

Highlighted
Journeyman

For the last several weeks I have been having very intermittant data service in the Indianapolis area. It has affected me mostly while in zip code 46224. Occasionally I will have the issue in 46113 as well. I will show a signal strength of anywhere between 1 and 5 bars on my Evo Shift, but no applications using data services will work, and web pages almost immediately go to the android "page not available" screen. I have tried numerous solutions on the phone, including updating PRL and factory reset, all to no avail. My phone works great over WIFI. Any help would be appreciated!

16 REPLIES 16
Journeyman

Welcome to the not so elite "No Data Club".

Journeyman

Guess it's time I join the "Leave Sprint Club".  What's the point of paying for their "unlimited data" when it does not even work?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Thanks for the post!

We have an outage ticket open (#7728878) for the Indianapolis area.  The fix is listed as scheduled for 7-22, but that is dependent on many factors.

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Thank you for the update. I spoke with Tier 1 customer service, and they assured me something was wrong with my phone. Skeptical, I visited my Sprint store today and was told that there have been network issues in the area for a while now. Thank you for confirming, and here's to hoping they get it fixed tomorrow!

Journeyman

So here it is, Aug 3, 2011, and I am still having issues. Just got off the phone with tech support - they said it should be fixed in 2-3 days. This is the third time I've been told that in three weeks.

It would be nice if we could just get the straight story.As it is now, I'm just ready to throw the phone thru a window. Why am I paying *TWO* $10 premiums for data? ESPECIALLY since the second phone got the $10 fee added because the piece of junk had to be replaced so it was no longer a "grandfathered" smart phone that didn't get the fee.

Journeyman

What side of town are you on?

Journeyman

I live on the nw side about 20 miles outside of indy, but work downtown and have issues in both areas

Journeyman

Ahh okay, I was going to say my buddy lives up near Pendleton and has a great signal but I personally run into issues downtown, on the inside corner of 465 on the NW side, and the a few miles south of Indpls where I live. Let's hope for a quick 4G upgrade in this city, haha.

Journeyman

Are you guys still having these issues?  My wife and I have for months.  I've had an Evo 4G and my wife has an Evo 3D and we get 0 bars and even sometimes roam at our home in Carmel near the high school.  We used to get good reception here.  We both go downtown (Indianapolis) to work every day and while we both get bars, we are constantly getting dropped calls, missed calls, one side can hear but the other can't, etc.  3G data sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.  I was beginning to think it was due to the Android 2.3.3 update since we are both running that OS and these issues started around then.  However, I recently lost my Evo 4G and reactivated an old Palm Treo 700wx and am having the same problems.  We've been with Sprint for over 10 years because of the value for the money, but our contract is up in May and I'm considering another vendor.  I can't pay $150 a month for this kind of service especially since we got rid of our land line several years ago and depend on our cells for all of our calling needs.

Wizard

It looks like we have still have some capacity restraints around the high school. The current plan is to lay down a new T1 line to alleviate the network congestion. It appears the request is now being escalated, which will hopefully move that date a little closer. The technician has been looking into expediting this fix since 8/26 and we will hopefully have a new (better) date soon. I hope this helps!

Journeyman

I appreciate your prompt response, but I guess I have to ask to differentiate between congestion and signal strength.  I'm quite familiar with how wifi works, but not so much regarding cellular networks.  To make an analogy, on a wifi network, it wouldn't make any difference how congested the network was, if I am getting a good signal to the access point I would see a connection strength of excellent.  My throughput, however, might not be so hot in that case.  So, what does congestion have to do with going from an average of 3-4 bars here at home to roaming-1 bar?  Does cogestion in a digital cellular network have an effect on signal strength?  As for the high school general area, it seems that this is a problem for both my wife and I throughout the Indianapolis metro area recently regardless of signal strength.  That is to say we have been experiencing dropped calls, half connected calls, missed calls, 3G data oddities over the past few months regardless of the signal strength our phones are reporting.  That seems more consistant with a general congestion issue.  So, I guess what I'm saying is we seem to have both a signal strength and a congestion issue in the Carmel area, whereas in the Indy metro area we are having a general congestion issue.  Would I be correct in this assessment?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.