cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service issues from Hurricane Sandy

Journeyman

Service issues from Hurricane Sandy

Hello,

Ever since hurricane sandy I have had issues with my service. I was told it would be fixed by 11/10/2012 which is way too long! - The past 3 days I have had no luck on making calls or sending text messages. I use my phone for business and it is the primary number for my business and also I use it for personal use and this is really hurting my business and I am really frustrated about this. I moved to sprint from AT&T because I thought sprint had a good service and phones but the past year I have not yet seen a new HTC phone available with a slide out keyboard like the Sprint EVO Shift which is the phone I had which I upgraded from the Sprint tilt. Now, with the Shift I lost the tilting of the keyboard.

Issues:

1. Sprint now has less HTC phones and fewer slides out keyboards. I believe there is one keyboard phone now and that is not an android phone.

2. I cannot call people or text people. I even have Wi-Fi on and it does not make any difference. For text messages I get an error message and it goes into undelivered messages and the same error keeps popping up every few seconds... For phone calls I get the same message I get every time when I try to make a call "network is busy, try again later" I can make a call maybe 1 out of 20 tries on dialing back to back to back to back....

3. Also, I had "Roam" on and it would call out but it would say "Welcome to Verizon. You will be sent to a live operator to pay by credit card or make a collect call. It does not make sense why I would have to pay for a call if I roam because of sprints own service problems.

Any ideas?

Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can text and make calls? I use my Wi-Fi if that helps? I can make calls right now and send text messages because it is 5am but when it is during the day or after dinner time I cannot do anything.at all with my phone except use the internet because I have Wi-Fi on. The only time I can make calls successful is from 1am-8am with no issues.

I can have my phone on Wi-Fi because most of the time I am working from home but I cannot find a VOIP app to let me make calls or texts and if I have to pay for one I think sprint should pay for it.

Any other ideas would be very helpful since I have 3 lines on the account and they have been having issues as well!

I do not want to leave Sprint but right now ten days is a long time for my business and me losing money. I can probably get a better plan or at least better service from AT&T or Verizon.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Service issues from Hurricane Sandy

Hey Dan, do you live in the area affected by the storm? If so it's to be expected that it will take some time for service to be back to normal. Two weeks sounds reasonable to me for an area so damaged.I'm not sure it will help but you can try using google voice on your PC to send& receive texts. 

GrandMaster

1-the motorola photon Q LTE has the slide out qwerty keyboard.. not sure if motorola is your cup of tea though

2- alot of people out there are saying its NOT due to that hurricane...yet the problem isnt anywhere out here on the west coast...its all localized on the east coast. and agreed that its odd that everyone keeps getting asked to pay with a credit card while trying to make any roaming calls..i wonder if this has anything to do with emergency traffic. if i remember right alot of towers were set up to stay going or at least try to stay going in case of a disaster so there can still be emergency communications..so its always possible the charge is a deterent to keep those lines open as much as possible for emergency personel and the likes....its a thought. not sure why it would affect such a large area though unless its set up kind of like coverage markets..but larger

DanDipp wrote:

Issues:

1. Sprint now has less HTC phones and fewer slides out keyboards. I believe there is one keyboard phone now and that is not an android phone.

3. Also, I had "Roam" on and it would call out but it would say "Welcome to Verizon. You will be sent to a live operator to pay by credit card or make a collect call. It does not make sense why I would have to pay for a call if I roam because of sprints own service problems.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

actually best answer i have found yet about the network roaming problem..i didnt even think of this one

Fergie_B Social Care  

Currently Being Moderated

2. Oct 31, 2012 7:23 PM (in response to kberger19055)

Re: CANT SEND OR RECEIVE TEXTS OR CALLS  

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues at your location.  I'm glad to hear that you are safe after the most recent storms. Due to the severity of the storms, there were many sites that were completely disabled.  This can cause the symptoms that you described as it appears to not only be our towers but other carriers as well.  To assist with traffic issues, many carriers have blocked roaming from other carriers so they are able to support their own network.  Many sites are down, we currently have fix agents dispatched in every effected state who are diligently working to resolve this issue ASAP.  Unfortunately, there is currently no estimated time of repair for these outages.  Ticket# 9671144 is being used to track this event in all of the states.  Thank you for your patience in this manor.  We hope to get your services restored to their full capacity as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.