ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous 3G voice and data - anytime soon?

Journeyman

I know the evo can do simultaneous 4G/Wi-Fi & a call but how about 3G? I have been wanting this for many year. Since sprint's 4G coverage is soooooo spotty even in the middle of the city, I hardly ever use it. Even when it does work the upload is capped so a lot of good that does for video calls. I hope we go LTE soon wi-max blows. Anyway I just read that Verizon's thunderbolt is going to be the first phone that will be able to do 3G/Voice at the same time on verizon. This should open up the door for sprint, can we expect this on upcoming models?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/14/wirefly-no-skype-on-thunderbolt-but-simultaneous-3g-voice-an/

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Simultaneous 3G voice and data - anytime soon?

The HTC Evo Shift 4G has the Qualcomm MSM7630 chipset which supports SVDO, the feature that allows for simultaneous voice and data over 3G. I'm guess that for whatever reason Sprint didn't have HTC enable that feature. I'm also guessing that the feature could be activated via a firmware update if Sprint and HTC chose to do so. I'm curious to see if the handsets that Sprint debuts at CTIA (and beyond) also have chipsets that support SVDO and if Sprint turns the feature on in those handsets.

Sprint Product Ambassador

More about SVDO:

http://gizmofusion.com/2011/02/why-the-htc-thunderbolt-may-do-simultaneous-voice-and-data/

Sprint does not currently support SVDO on the network.  I can't comment on strategic future plans for the Sprint network.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

If its just firmware upgrade away Sprint what's the hold up?!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Simultaneous 3G voice and data - anytime soon?

Well like I said, that's just an educated guess on my part. Even if I'm correct, it would only be applicable to one phone at the moment, the Evo Shift 4G.

Journeyman

I really hope the evo3D will have this feature. I haven't heard Sprint say anything about it, but it would be an awesome feature to have.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.