cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint direct connect service in Tijuana, MX.?

Journeyman

Sprint direct connect service in Tijuana, MX.?

Hi, I have a doubt, I already know that the international direct connect service for sprint direct connect is available, I'm currently a costumer of nextel direct connect with you guys and i'm planning to buy a new motorola admiral 

that is on the new SDC network , but if I'm down in Mexico, like in Tijuana, my service of push to talk will still work. ??

5 REPLIES 5
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Sprint direct connect service in Tijuana, MX.?

Sprint Direct Connect phones use CDMA data for their PTT and phone features.

International Data Roaming is available in Mexico - you can find out more including coverage, rates and customer support at the Sprint International site.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Currently, the Admiral from the US is not compatible in Tijuana. My mom just replaced her old nextel phone with the admiral and she can't receive any pust to talk in Tijuana. I don't think the phone works either. But this is all temporary. It seems Mexico is also upgrading and these should be available before end of the year.

Journeyman

I have the same question... is it going to cost more to use SDC in Tijuana??.. Currently there is no extra charge for DC, Data, or texts... In addition I lost complete service at my workplace so I need to figure out what to do pretty soon... Any recommendations out there???

Journeyman

@Wingland, I think you're confusing the people here.  You're telling them International Date Roaming is available in Mexico, YES but that doesn't answer the question they asked.  They asked you if the new SDC would work down there and you answered by saying the new SDC phones uses CDMA data for their PTT but we both know that they don't necesarily need DATA in order for them to work as in for example: At my work in San Diego, the operations side meaning the warehouse and fleet department all use the KYOCERA DURAMAX and are only utilizaing the PTT without DATA service, I myself use the Motorola Admiral and in some places where I roam, there isn't any DATA and my 3G instead of being high lighted Blue it turns GREY meaning there isn't any DATA available but still I'm able to use my SDC to other Nextels and/or Sprint phones. 

When will the new SDC be available to Tijuana, Mexico and the rest of Mexico in general.  This will happen from September onwards as NII will launch completely their new 3G Network which will be compatable to Sprint Direct Connect as they're running the same system. As you all know, NII holdings (Nextel Mexico, Nextel Peru, Nextel Chile, Nextel Brazil, Nextel Argenting, etc) are based out of the U.S in Virginia and its PARENT COMPANY is SPRINT NEXTEL w/18% ownership.  So you just need to wait it out as Sprint (SDC) and Nextel Mexico (NII) will be compatable and will be able to roam in each country, obviously will have to have the new 3G phones to make this happen.  Both companies are running the same system along with the new QCHAT 2 (Qualcomm). 

Also, I believe Nextel Mexico will be introducing more phones than Sprint though as they usually have more options for PTT.  Will see.

Journeyman

I have the same question and been asking it for a long time, Sprint needs to give an answer on what we can expect, especially since they will charge an additional $10 a month for using iDen from 1/1/13

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.