cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint v. Nextel devices (coverage problem)

Journeyman

Re: Sprint v. Nextel devices (coverage problem)

I think the reason it has to be within range of Sprint's current service is that the Airave device uses licensed frequencies (the same frequencies Sprint might use on a cell tower).  Sprint doesn't own the right to use those frequencies everywhere (which could be a reason why you get no Sprint coverage).  So Sprint legally cannot use the Airave in locations where it doesn't have a license to use those frequencies.  The airave uses GPS to determine it's current location and whether it can operate or not.

Journeyman

What can you guys tell me about the Airave cost etc?  It looks like it's almost $300 just for the airave itself.  This seems kind of pricey to me, when after all I don't really want it, Sprint just doesn't cover my area and I have a preexisting contract with them.  seems for that money I could just get out of the contract and go to a different phone company.  Any idea if sprint will help with the charge since they don't provide service here?  Are there any extra monthly charges or anything like that I would get too? 

Wizard

Alcepi1 wrote:

I live in Lillian, AL  36549.  Thanks for all the great advice guys. 

I'm a little confused why I would have to be within 15 miles of a sprint tower for the airave to work if it runs off of my broadband

Coverage tool shows you in roaming but near Sprint coverage... but a little spotty.

You must be within 15 miles of a tower because of FCC licensing. But you are correct that it has nothing to do with reception. You look like you are in Airave coverage, but check to be sure here.

For more info on getting a free Airave for your home, go here.

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm pretty certain your eligible for an Airave in that zip. Have you tried calling 800.921.2199 to see if you qualify for one?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.