cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Poor coverage in Chicago's Roscoe Village

Highlighted
Journeyman

In the last week I have seen an incredible decrease in signal and stability in Roscoe Village and surrounding neighborhoods in Chicago. I've had my phone (Samsung EPIC) for several months without ever having a dropped call or issue with coverage. In the last week my coverage has been absolutely terrible in these areas. I took my phone into the local Sprint store to be diagnosed and they ran tests which it passed except for txt. They rant the txt test again and it went through so they said there was no problem. They said I should do a hard reset. They did a hard reset and sent me on my way. On my way home (by Belmont and Western) my reception dropped three times. I immediately went back and had them replace my phone. Even with the new phone the coverage has been incredibly crappy. I was origionally looking for a way to e-mail or tell Sprint about this perceived network outage and was unable to find a good way to do so, so I am here letting off a little steam I suppose at their recent lackluster reception in my area. Anyone else having similar problems in Chicago? Anything I can do to provide Sprint with more information so they can fix whatever the issue is? Has anyone heard of any service or similar issues with the EPIC?

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

I've had the same problem in just the past few days.  My office is very near Belmont and Western, and I cannot get reception.

Reception is fine outside the general Roscoe Village area.

Journeyman

Glad to hear I'm not losing my mind over this. If you know of anyone else with Sprint have them comment on this thread and maybe someone at Sprint will escilate this matter so its gets taken seriously instead of resetting all our phones. 

Journeyman

This is nuts. I noticed the problem beginning last Thursday (5/19.) I was streaming music over Sprint's 3G on my way home from work down Belmont heading towards western and later on after I was home I realized that text and calls weren't working. I have a rooted phone so I did a factory reset through the recovery and flashed the new VaelPak 3.2 RC1 custom rom.

Called Sprint and they acknowledged a text outage in some areas but nothing specific to what i was reporting. since then it's been flaky over the last few days. Just so were clear, has anyone else had issues with voice as well as text and data?

BTW the next day i rode the bus east towards sheffield and began testing calling and texting and both began to improve as i passed damen and got near belmont/linconln/ashland.

Journeyman

You are not alone! I live at Addison and Leavitt and the reception fell apart for us last Tuesday night around 5pm. I have to leave our 4 block radius to make a call. We have 3 Sprint Phones in our house. An EVO shift that only works when it's roaming, a Blackberry that rarely works, and a Palm Pre that occasionally works.

I highly suggest that you open a repair ticket with Sprint. Since I did that, they have at least called me daily to see if there has been any progress (there hasn't been).

They are admitting there is something wrong with the network, but don't have any answers yet.

Journeyman

I'm glad to know that my boyfriend and I are not alone in having these issues.  Like someone else said, our Sprint service stopped working last Thursday, May 19.  He has a 2 year old 3G Blackberry and I have a LG Optimus 3G that I've barely had for a month now.  We are in Roscoe Village at Belmont and Hoyne and our phones will not work at home or within what seems like a 5 block radius.  We cannot make/receive calls, make/receive texts, use the internet...nothing!  Once in a while service will work briefly and texts will send/receive at a delayed rate.  My phone works perfectly fine all day at my office in the Loop, but when I take the Belmont bus home I notice that service drops just west of Ashland.  We have spoken with Sprint numerous times and reset our phone numerous times, but that obviously does not resolve the issue.  They have admitted to doing tower repairs in the area, but have said that that is all done now and service should be fine, which it is NOT!  I've been a Sprint customer for over 8 years now, with almost 5 of those being in Roscoe Village and I've never had a problem with service.  This is extremely frustrating and ridiculous!  I just don't understand why Sprint can't figure out what the problem is and fix it!

Journeyman

I am having the exact same problem. I have spoken with Sprint almost a dozen times now and they either insist that there is no problem or they dutifully give me a ticket # about it and have yet to follow up. they keep insisting it is my phone. i chatted w/ them 3 times online today and each time, gave them the link for this feed. and yet, they are insistent it is my phone, which i have reprogrammed, hard rebooted and even replaced. it works fine once i'm out of roscoe. for some reason, they fail to see the logical conclusion is that if multiple people are having the same problem at the same time in the same location with different phones they've owned for different periods of time, then the common denominator is...the service.

i truly hope someone from sprint reads this SOON and takes steps to fix it. i am getting to the point where i am going to change carriers. and i've always loved having sprint.

Journeyman

I just wanted to update that I've seen no progress in this problem. Sprint claims that "engineers" have my ticket and they are waiting on a response. Meanwhile, I can only use my phone in the neighborhood when it's roaming. Fantastic.

Journeyman

No progress for my boyfriend and I either.  Sprint sent us an Airave thingy that is supossed to give us a stronger signal, but shocker, it doesn't work because it can't pick up a signal!  It has been 8 days now of this crap and they don't have a straight answer as to when, or even if, coverage will ever return!

Journeyman

im in birmingham al..and im having the same problem..i was told that for 100$ i could get something that would boost my coverage area in my home..i refused because im sure im not the only one in my area having this problem and i refuse to pay for something that others around me can feed off of for free...

Journeyman

Day 15 Update - Phones still only work when they are roaming. Sprint just called to say they are still working on it and have no time frame. Not sure I will still be a Sprint customer when it's fixed.

Journeyman

Still having problems as well. I plan on visiting the local Sprint store tomorrow and see what if anything they can do to escalate the matter. They are near the affected area so it only makes sense they've received similar complaints in person. I hope to find out something useful and encouraging. I'll share the results of my visit. Until then please post the intersections where your outages are occurring and maybe that can help them determine which tower is responsible for all this erratic behavior.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.