cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

Journeyman

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

I live in Tampa and work in Lakeland and have been having poor 3G speeds since March 1st. I have called Sprint support 3 times and they keep walking me through the basic steps that haven't fixed anything. Last night I was told to take my HTC EVO to a Sprint store so they can figure it out.

After several years of dealing with AT&T I was attracted to the competetive Sprint pricing and attractive smart phone options. Go figure a little over a month of me being able to cancel I start having the first issues.

I understand carriers have problems but just tell me you are having problems with the network in the area before wasting my time. I have already spent +2 hours on the phone and who knows how searching the internet. I will post some keywords below to better help people find this thread seeing as Sprint is no help at all.  I'm also ticked off at service reps suggesting to me to me that coverage may be poor in buildings and they recomend using 4G because it's faster... Duh!!!

Sprint 3g slow
slow internet speeds on EVO 3g
HTC EVO slow
internet slow HTC EVO
slow speed test HTC EVO
Spint 3g problems tampa
Sprint 3g problems lakeland

Spint internet problems tampa
Sprint internet problems lakeland
Spint internet slow tampa
Sprint internet slow lakeland
Sprint blows

10 REPLIES 10
Patron

Re: Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

I am having the same issues.  It took half an hour to download an app that was less than 2MB during my lunch hour today (12PM).  On another note, I did a Speed Test (speedtest.net app) and my down was -0 kbp/s and up was 8kbp/s.  Interestingly enough, my ping was at a staggering 38.  How do you get -0?  As Bill O'Reilly said, "YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT."  For what it's worth, I've updated the PRL, profile, etc prior as well as a soft reset.

Journeyman

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

Same here. Sucks, I was freaking out at first thinking it was my evo shift. At least I can be mad at sprint and not my phone now.

Journeyman

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

I'm glad to know it isn't my HTC EVO if it appears to be happening on other models.  I just wish Sprint would be honest and say something as simple as "this is a know problem and we are working to fix it."

Instead they are wasting our time.  I ended up reseting my phone to factory settings as a last result.  Took me an hour to download words with friends. 

They have a forum to complain in yet no Sprint Mods haven't weighed in. 

Highlighted
Patron

Re: Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

Finally I found a post which confirms this. I am in downtown tampa (and south tampa) and have had terribly slow internet speeds (20kbp/s down) for several days.  I called sprint today at about 1pm and was told that there was a tower near downtown which was not working and thus other towers were being overloaded.  She said that they are "working on it now" and that there is a 24-72 hour timeframe for correction.  We'll see if that is true, as it sounds a little fishy that they never mentioned this to westampa.  let's update this post if anyone hears anything different from sprint reps.  internet is almost impossible for anything but basic surfing or email.  my twitter app is non-responsive. 

fyi, I am on an HTC touch pro 2 (windows mobile). 

Here's a link to another discussion about outage/slowness in mostly Central FL and Tampa.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=976732

Journeyman

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

I am in Sarasota and just spend 1/2 day on phone.  They opened a ticket for me, I went to the Repair store, and the guy told me they are "updating" the 4g towers, so that is what is making it slow.  Supposedly...LOL....at least I know it's not me either....lets hope they have it fixed soon....EVO here.

Journeyman

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

Same here in South Lakeland.  Called Sprint yesterday and the rep said that a bunch of towers are down and there is a ticket open.  She said there was no timeframe for the fix.  Complete BS way to run a company.   I better get a credit on my bill.

Journeyman

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

They transfered to an escalated service tech yesterday and I asked about a refund and she said that the internet is free anyways.  That is equavalent to going on a trans-Atlantic flight and them not having a food/drink cost.  "well it was free anyways."

When I aksed why nobody had told me the previous times there was an outage she said they didn't find out until later in the night after I called.  She told me they had system in place where once they get a certain amount of calls they officially say they are having problems.  There is no way the 3rd largest mobile carrier has a problem like this for 3 days and doesn't know.  Another lie.

Journeyman

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

I actually had to ask the rep if there was an outage and that's when she checked the towers and that's after I already spent 20 minutes on the phone and her telling me to do things that were already done at the Sprint store and then she tells me to go to the Sprint store so they could run diagnostics.  I told her that I already did that and her head just imploded.  Then I had to suggest she check the towers.  Unbelievable!!!!!  Then I have to call a different number for them to tell me that there is already a ticket open for it.  WHY WASN'T I TOLD THAT BEFORE HAND!!!!!?????  I haven't been a Sprint customer for very long and I intend on keeping it that way.

Journeyman

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

I'm in Lakeland right now and here are the test results,

77/25

12/23

25/34

10/26

30/7

52/12

44/1

36/2

It's better but still pretty inconsistant.  I'm surprised they haven't been able to completely fix this in a week.

Journeyman

Tampa /Lakeland SLOW 3G

Those are the speeds we've had in most of Baton Rouge, LA on Sprint's 3G since July 2010.  We've had hundreds of tickets opened on numerous towers here, some of which they closed without notice, others were told that upgrade projects were approved and would take a couple of months.  Some parts of town have improved slightly, but busier parts like downtown are only getting worse.  The reason there has been some improvement has nothing to do with Sprint; instead, most people in this town are forcing their phones to roam on Verizon so that we can actually call up a webpage in under an hour.  We're entering our 8th month of this with no end in sight.  Welcome to Sprint... the "now" network-- now time to look for another network!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.